In game audio

I am very much looking forward to MLS in Miami.  They’re announcing the team name end of this month. 

I was hoping for Miami Vice but I think it will be Inter Miami (which is fine). 

Inter Miami?  What does that even mean?  I read something that speculated since they called the redeveloped Melreese "Miami Freedom Park" that it might be called Miami Freedom (which I'm not a fan of).

Maybe im just being pessimistic, but the area the ballpark is in really just sucks.  Ive visited a bunch of the best ballparks in baseball, the most recent being the new braves stadium last year, and they are all in either good areas or built a cool area around the ballpark to hangout.  I guess the clevelander is ok, but its nothing special other than an expensive bar with loud music and a pretty shitty view of the game but thats it around the ballpark aside from the budweiser bar thing which I personally like more than the clevelander.  Once you leave the ballpark and go to the garages there is nothing around the stadium and its in a bad area.  Unless we start winning and start getting fans out consistently, i think we are gonna have a hard time getting the experience that fans have at other ballparks in order to consistently attract those fans that dont care about baseball but are just trying to have a good time.

One thing id be interested in seeing is either in the upper deck in the foul territory on either side or in the RF upper deck seats creating a bunch of standing room only bars similar to what the Braves have in their new park if you look up their outlay of their ballpark.  Might not be the biggest change and it may reduce our overall capacity (though who cares about that), but from a 24 year olds perspective and knowing the perspective of people my age, there is a notable difference between having drinks behind the plate and sitting down in normal seats and actually having to watch a full 9 inning baseball game and just getting to roam in a bar style atmosphere in the outfield, as stupid as that distinction may be because us millennials are stupid.   

Long rambling post made shorter: there is nothing around the ballpark and the clevelander as the main attraction sucks.

Go to CitiField, they have a wonderful Parking Lot next door on one side, and the Iron Triangle on the other.

(Blocks upon blocks of junk yards and chop shops).

I looked up the MLS season - it's literally the same as baseball season - March through October.   Teams play 34 games, half home/half away, so that'd be 17 games a year home. The schedule seems to vary, but it looks as though games are typically 4-7 days apart.  So Marlins attendance may take a dip on those 17 days throughout the season, but it shouldn't affect the other 64 games.  If they put the soccer stadium at Melreese park, I think there may be a bit of an "east vs. west" thing too - meaning those that live east might just go to the marlins game and those west might pick the soccer game unless they really want to go to one or the other.

I believe MLS is a weekend event so the games affected will be weekend games which teams rely on for an attendance boost.  Just a thought.   I’m not completely dialed into MLS

I believe MLS is a weekend event so the games affected will be weekend games which teams rely on for an attendance boost.  Just a thought.   I’m not completely dialed into MLS

Some weekend games, some weeknight games. 

I’ve been to 2 MLS games; one in Orlando and one in Atlanta.  Both were packed stadiums and a lot of fun.  I’m not optimistic Miami will be as successful as those 2 cities. 

Didn't MLS already try a team in Miami?

Yes and the league folded it.   This is a summary and I’m probably missing a lot of the story.   basically back then the league owned and operated most of the teams with a couple exceptions. The league was hemorrhaging cash and needed to fold two clubs.  They decided on the two Florida teams because they were league owned and no local ownership wanted to step in and take the reins.  LaMar Hunt and Robert Kraft both owned teams that were worse off but those were spared because of the outside investment.  I think Hunt even owned two teams.  Real shit show.  

Here's an article on one of the ways they're trying to involve the community(ies), though "Neighborhood Nights".

I personally don't get the celebrity bobblehead giveaways - why would I want a DJ Khaled or Pitbull bobblehead?

Reaching out to the community is good, but I'm just curious what they're doing that isn't just "Ok Doral, buy season tickets!"

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miami-marlins/article215440605.html

“We are Miami , we are the home team, and we want everyone to rally around us the way we’re rallying around the [local] neighborhoods,” said Elisa Padilla, the Marlins’ senior vice president of marketing and community relations.

The Marlins have scheduled a series of “Neighborhood Nights” involving 10 Miami communities through the end of the season in September. The first of those will be held Saturday when Doral residents can receive ticket discounts, with some seats going for as low as $15.

The Marlins will conduct promotional events in each of the 10 communities, as well.

“We don’t want to just go into communities and say, ‘Okay, Doral, purchase season tickets’ and then just walk out,” Padilla said. “We want to start bringing the brand of the Marlins into the communities, and the only way we’re going to be able to do that is to be where our potential fans live, work and play.”

Other featured communities include Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Kendall, Wynwood and Hialeah.

The Marlins have designated Sunday as “305 Day,” which includes a Pitbull (“Mr. 305”) Bobblehead giveaway. Cuban-American rapper DJ Laz will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

“I’ve spoken to so many people who have never even been to Marlins Park,” Padilla said. “We want to build the fan base with the people who are in our neighborhoods, with the people that are here with us.”

Upcoming “Neighborhood Nights” at Marlins Park:

Doral: Saturday, July 28

Coral Gables: Sunday, July 29

Kendall: Saturday, August 11

Wynwood/Midtown: Sunday, August 12

Downtown Miami: Saturday, August 25

Miami Beach: Sunday, August 26

Hialeah: Saturday, September 1

Coconut Grove: Sunday, September 2

Pinecrest: Saturday, September 22

South Miami/Westchester: Sunday, September 23

Definitely stepping in the right direction but I agree with the question of how will these things even help? But definitely not mad that they're trying. 

I think they'd have to pair it with some sort of community fundraiser or community project or something to truly have this have some sort of impact.  The "oh hey, the Marlins helped us raise funds for project XYZ, let's go to a game!  Oh look, there's community __Blank__"  and then have some sort of "The Marlins are making waves in the community" thing before/during the game.

I think they'd have to pair it with some sort of community fundraiser or community project or something to truly have this have some sort of impact.  The "oh hey, the Marlins helped us raise funds for project XYZ, let's go to a game!  Oh look, there's community __Blank__"  and then have some sort of "The Marlins are making waves in the community" thing before/during the game.

Yeah doing something significant in each community is a great idea. Can't just give out free tickets at the local Publix and call it a day. 

I looked into the Kendall community game and didn't find anything except reduced ticket prices but then I thought, so what does this actually have to do with my Kendall? And anyone could click on the link I clicked on so what makes it "a Kendall thing" so to speak? 

I know I'm overanalyzing it but I'm playing devil's advocate moreso out of curiosity of whether or not this would work. 

Whatever they do I think they gotta do it multiple times a season. 2 or even 3 nights "per community" would probably be great. 

Celebrity bobble heads are really dumb

I agree 100% with this but then again, there's probably some ridiculous local Pitbull fans who would want that bobblehead enough to buy Marlins tickets.

Celebrity fans can be weird like that.

You could probably argue there are more people in Miami who would buy tickets specifically to get a Pitbull bobblehead than there are people who would buy tickets specifically for a Marlins player bobblehead.

So it feels like these celebrity bobbleheads could be a test run from a marketing standpoint and hey, it just might work. If it doesn't then I don't think we'll ever see this again. 

The loud music and embracing of hip hop celebrities to me is a misguided attempt to emulate the Heat’s success of creating a South Beach club atmosphere at games.  That works for the NBA.  But this is baseball.  Young kids and families are a big part of the MLB demographic.  My seven year old son lives for the players’ bobble heads but has not interest in Pit Bull or D.J. Khaled.

Yeah doing something significant in each community is a great idea. Can't just give out free tickets at the local Publix and call it a day. 

I looked into the Kendall community game and didn't find anything except reduced ticket prices but then I thought, so what does this actually have to do with my Kendall? And anyone could click on the link I clicked on so what makes it "a Kendall thing" so to speak? 

I know I'm overanalyzing it but I'm playing devil's advocate moreso out of curiosity of whether or not this would work. 

Whatever they do I think they gotta do it multiple times a season. 2 or even 3 nights "per community" would probably be great. 

I wonder if you have to provide some sort of residency proof?  Or anyone can click on it and buy them?

Maybe it's just one of those things intended for whatever community is highlighted, but if you're "in the know", you can take advantage of it even if you don't live there.  The only thing would be - I assume you're seated in a certain area, though it's not like you can't freely roam/sit elsewhere.

Agreed - Handing out free tickets works for a day but not long term, it needs to be a longer term effort (why I proposed some sort of community outreach program that people see what the team is doing for them).  Does it get old/overplayed if they do it multiple times/season per community?  If you do 3 nights/community, you're already at 30 games.

There should be a "Fort Lauderdale night" or make it a "Broward night" too - in the effort to "Miami-ize" the experience, I worry they alienate other groups of fans.  I still think they should partner with Brightline to work on getting northern fans to the games (though they'd either need a shuttle from the Brightline station, or also a Metrorail partnership, and subsequent shuttle from there to the park).

Celebrity bobble heads are really dumb but I think the idea of reaching out to separate communities is a great idea.  

Agreed - I remember getting calls/emails from a sales rep to buy one of those flexible 4 packs or whatever they're called, and by getting one, I could "guarantee access to limited edition bobbleheads" or something to that effect......I didn't do it (though I thought about it), and later on saw the advertising for the bobbleheads, which were DJ Khaled, Pitbull, that Sandlot character, and someone else......why would I want ANY of those?  Though maybe I should've done it and sold it online like someone said above.  I get we don't have many marketable people on the team right now, but that's what they resort to?  Lol.

My seven year old son lives for the players’ bobble heads but has not interest in Pit Bull or D.J. Khaled.

But you and your seven year old son are already following the Marlins and likely already attending games. It's not out of the question that the celebrity bobbleheads bring in a few non baseball fans who have never been to Marlins Park.

It's for a different target audience. 

I'm just trying to think of this from a marketing perspective. It's also hard to market only the team itself based on their on field product at this point as well. Gotta try different things. 

In fairness we weren’t the only team to do a Sandlot promo this year.  I found it uninspiring and pointless.  My kid was really indifferent to the bobblehead which is pretty telling when a kid doesn’t want your giveaway.  I think he would have been more excited to get a Yadiel Rivera bobblehead 

The Sandlot thing is understandable, it's a classic baseball movie celebrating its 25th anniversary. It's not like its unrelated to baseball. The Dodgers did a Sandlot night too.

Also, your kid was indifferent but he also wasn't alive when the Sandlot came out. The Sandlot bobblehead isn't targeted towards kids.

My kid saw the movie, because I showed it to him, and he loved it, but he won't have the connection to the movie that kids in the 90s had to it. It's just different perspectives. 

But you and your seven year old son are already following the Marlins and likely already attending games. It's not out of the question that the celebrity bobbleheads bring in a few non baseball fans who have never been to Marlins Park.

It's for a different target audience. 

I'm just trying to think of this from a marketing perspective. It's also hard to market only the team itself based on their on field product at this point as well. Gotta try different things. 

That's a fair assessment.  This year has been a "throw darts at the wall and see what sticks" year as far as marketing/promotions, etc for the new group.  They've indicated more and bigger changes are coming for next year.  It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

I'm curious how other teams market themselves, and how it's different from what the Marlins have been doing?  Obviously most have a better on-field product to market, but outside of that, I'm assuming they do other things too?

In fairness we weren’t the only team to do a Sandlot promo this year.  I found it uninspiring and pointless.  My kid was really indifferent to the bobblehead which is pretty telling when a kid doesn’t want your giveaway.  I think he would have been more excited to get a Yadiel Rivera bobblehead 

I wasn't criticizing the Sandlot promo itself, just unsure about the celebrity thing as a whole.  But SilverBullet is right - it may not appeal to us that follow the team and would consider going anyway, but if appeals to Joe Schmoe casual fan that otherwise wouldn't go but goes for those days, it worked.