In game audio

THRILLHO

Dimelo Miami…..turn down the volume just a hair.

I was at the game yesterday.  My ears felt like they were being assaulted by a 19 year old DJ the entire time.  I’ve noticed this all year but yesterday was particularly bad.  I know that the Marlins are trying to make the in game thing as “miami” as possible (which is great…really), but I think there is a line that has to be drawn so to remember to keep it feeling like a baseball game and not a shitty night club for people under 21.  That isn’t to say that the whole experience needs to be a pipe organ at “ye olde ballpark” but I think a little infusion of classic baseball audio would be nice.  Also, the volume can be turned down across the board.  I promise, I’m not an old man.

Regarding play on the field, I know I’m preaching to the choir here but the average dude on the street is blowing it by not coming out to the games.  Its hotter than hell outside and Marlins Park is nice and cool.  Tickets on the secondary market are reasonable.  There are plenty of players to dial into. As discussed in other threads, the showing since June 1 has been very nice. 

Dimelo Miami…..turn down the volume just a hair.

I was at the game yesterday.  My ears felt like they were being assaulted by a 19 year old DJ the entire time.  I’ve noticed this all year but yesterday was particularly bad.  I know that the Marlins are trying to make the in game thing as “miami” as possible (which is great…really), but I think there is a line that has to be drawn so to remember to keep it feeling like a baseball game and not a shitty night club for people under 21.  That isn’t to say that the whole experience needs to be a pipe organ at “ye olde ballpark” but I think a little infusion of classic baseball audio would be nice.  Also, the volume can be turned down across the board.  I promise, I’m not an old man.

Regarding play on the field, I know I’m preaching to the choir here but the average dude on the street is blowing it by not coming out to the games.  Its hotter than hell outside and Marlins Park is nice and cool.  Tickets on the secondary market are reasonable.  There are plenty of players to dial into. As discussed in other threads, the showing since June 1 has been very nice. 

Responding to you for real now because my joke wasn't fair to your topic...

Were u possibly sitting in a different section than usual? I swear I hear the audio differently depending on where I sit in relation to the speakers and how much open space there is and all of that technical sound and acoustic stuff. With that said, if it's too loud anywhere it then it's probably too loud. I have felt it louder this year myself. Hasn't bothered me much but I can see where its unnecessary. 

Responding to you for real now because my joke wasn't fair to your topic...

Were u possibly sitting in a different section than usual? I swear I hear the audio differently depending on where I sit in relation to the speakers and how much open space there is and all of that technical sound and acoustic stuff. With that said, if it's too loud anywhere it then it's probably too loud. I have felt it louder this year myself. Hasn't bothered me much but I can see where its unnecessary. 

Yes I was in row 20 in the infield so under an overhang whereas I normally sit somewhere between row 5-15 to avoid that.  While louder higher up for reasons you stated I have thought this all year. It’s impossible to talk to people when they’re playing music. 

Yes I was in row 20 in the infield so under an overhang whereas I normally sit somewhere between row 5-15 to avoid that.  While louder higher up for reasons you stated I have thought this all year. It’s impossible to talk to people when they’re playing music. 

Hopefully in a couple years, it'll be impossible to talk to people because there will be such large crowds that you'll have to talk over everyone. ?

I havent been to a game yet this year, what is everyones opinion on the ballpark experience and how does it compare to the past?  Ill be going to games when i get back to miami in a few weeks.

I don't think it's that much different outside of feeling more "latin" with a lot of the in game music and entertainment and they're definitely highlighting the city and the community more in their marketing and signage. Everywhere you go there's this collage style signage with the names of specific Miami areas or towns like Hialeah Wynwood Kendall etc etc. And there's a video that goes up every game on the big screen that shows Marlins fans in the community like playing dominoes in the park, riding bike, or even just standing outside hanging with friends. That feels different though it's not much. I'm curious though because Chip Bowers did say that despite whatever you see this year, bigger changes would come next season. What could that be? How much bigger can those changes actually be? 

I‘m curious though because Chip Bowers did say that despite whatever you see this year, bigger changes would come next season. What could that be? How much bigger can those changes actually be? 

I missed that.  When was that said?  Re in game experience less is more IMO.  Fans make the in game experience. Unfortunately that’s a problem for us at the moment.  

I missed that.  When was that said?  Re in game experience less is more IMO.  Fans make the in game experience. Unfortunately that’s a problem for us at the moment.  

It was an MLB.com article when we were in, um, I think San Diego, because Bowers was on there to observe how the Padres in game experience is and they interviewed him and he said he had a list of ballparks he was visiting this season to observe them. 

I agree less can be more and hopefully that's something that Bowers may figure out. So far in the little details we've gotten about him I like how involved he seems to be and how open to outside research he is as well. I think the previous front office was pretty close minded to the way other teams did things in those aspects. 

Maybe im just being pessimistic, but the area the ballpark is in really just sucks.  Ive visited a bunch of the best ballparks in baseball, the most recent being the new braves stadium last year, and they are all in either good areas or built a cool area around the ballpark to hangout.  I guess the clevelander is ok, but its nothing special other than an expensive bar with loud music and a pretty shitty view of the game but thats it around the ballpark aside from the budweiser bar thing which I personally like more than the clevelander.  Once you leave the ballpark and go to the garages there is nothing around the stadium and its in a bad area.  Unless we start winning and start getting fans out consistently, i think we are gonna have a hard time getting the experience that fans have at other ballparks in order to consistently attract those fans that dont care about baseball but are just trying to have a good time.

One thing id be interested in seeing is either in the upper deck in the foul territory on either side or in the RF upper deck seats creating a bunch of standing room only bars similar to what the Braves have in their new park if you look up their outlay of their ballpark.  Might not be the biggest change and it may reduce our overall capacity (though who cares about that), but from a 24 year olds perspective and knowing the perspective of people my age, there is a notable difference between having drinks behind the plate and sitting down in normal seats and actually having to watch a full 9 inning baseball game and just getting to roam in a bar style atmosphere in the outfield, as stupid as that distinction may be because us millennials are stupid.   

Long rambling post made shorter: there is nothing around the ballpark and the clevelander as the main attraction sucks.

Maybe im just being pessimistic, but the area the ballpark is in really just sucks.  Ive visited a bunch of the best ballparks in baseball, the most recent being the new braves stadium last year, and they are all in either good areas or built a cool area around the ballpark to hangout.  I guess the clevelander is ok, but its nothing special other than an expensive bar with loud music and a pretty shitty view of the game but thats it around the ballpark aside from the budweiser bar thing which I personally like more than the clevelander.  Once you leave the ballpark and go to the garages there is nothing around the stadium and its in a bad area.  Unless we start winning and start getting fans out consistently, i think we are gonna have a hard time getting the experience that fans have at other ballparks in order to consistently attract those fans that dont care about baseball but are just trying to have a good time.

One thing id be interested in seeing is either in the upper deck in the foul territory on either side or in the RF upper deck seats creating a bunch of standing room only bars similar to what the Braves have in their new park if you look up their outlay of their ballpark.  Might not be the biggest change and it may reduce our overall capacity (though who cares about that), but from a 24 year olds perspective and knowing the perspective of people my age, there is a notable difference between having drinks behind the plate and sitting down in normal seats and actually having to watch a full 9 inning baseball game and just getting to roam in a bar style atmosphere in the outfield, as stupid as that distinction may be because us millennials are stupid.   

Long rambling post made shorter: there is nothing around the ballpark and the clevelander as the main attraction sucks.

I think you have a fair point, but the goal was to take advantage of little Havana. And make the team the center of the culture in the area. With team success bringing interest from all over the city and then bringing money to the area. That idea got a little hurt after Jose's death. if we can be a good team again, I think we can eventually make the area nicer.

Long rambling post made shorter: there is nothing around the ballpark and the clevelander as the main attraction sucks

I agree with this but it kinda also shows why the ballpark experience is probably even more important for us than for many other teams. It almost becomes the Marlins responsibility to provide the pre game and post game entertainment.

This is also brings up the 5th Base tent that they have this year. It's a huge post game party set up in a tent outside of the west plaza and, while I've never actually gone in, it looks like a lot of people are participating in this after the games. Keeping that going and improving it is probably one key thing they'll do. 

At the couple of games I've been to this year, the music/sound has seemed a lot more "echo-y" than in years past - perhaps that's because it's louder?

I havent been to a game yet this year, what is everyones opinion on the ballpark experience and how does it compare to the past?  Ill be going to games when i get back to miami in a few weeks.

Here are the few things I've noticed....and it's not that different:

-more Latin music/theming

-They added "Billy's corner" (I know I have the name wrong) in the outfield, which is basically a little area for kids with stuff to climb on and take pictures with. 

-They dumped the 'energy team' and have the mermaids back, but I felt like they weren't seen much, and there's less "clap your hands" type things on the video boards.

-They have done a better job with the out of town scores by putting them on a larger video board/showing multiple scores - last year it was delegated to one small video board that'd show one score.  I realize they did it for ad revenue, but the huge out of town scores showing an entire league at a time on the board below the sculpture was better, IMO.

-Sea creatures race is gone.  I personally liked it, and was sad to see it go......I found it entertaining, especially when the games often aren't.

I don't think it's that much different outside of feeling more "latin" with a lot of the in game music and entertainment and they're definitely highlighting the city and the community more in their marketing and signage. Everywhere you go there's this collage style signage with the names of specific Miami areas or towns like Hialeah Wynwood Kendall etc etc. And there's a video that goes up every game on the big screen that shows Marlins fans in the community like playing dominoes in the park, riding bike, or even just standing outside hanging with friends. That feels different though it's not much. I'm curious though because Chip Bowers did say that despite whatever you see this year, bigger changes would come next season. What could that be? How much bigger can those changes actually be? 

I get that they need to engage the community, but I worry about them going overboard with the Latin thing......not everyone that goes is latin.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what they come up with for next year.  I wonder what classifies as a "big change" - what can they really do?

I will say, at the 25th anniversary game I went to (the Friday game), they did a sales outreach thing where they invited some people up to a suite, and the Apple guy was talking to everyone (the friends I was with didn't want to stay for the sales pitch)

I also saw people in suits that worked for the team standing by concession stands timing how long it took for people to get their food and taking notes on service, so I'd imagine an improved concession setup/approach will be something that is part of the changes......while on that topic....the concession menus!  WHY when you have about at least 6 video boards per stand, do they ALL need to be on the same screen at once and flash back and forth from one set of menus to the other?  I can't tell you how many times I'm sitting there trying to read something, and then *click* it switches to the drink/snacks menu and I have to wait a minute or so for it to come back to continue reading.  All they need to do is have them paired - 3/6 show the food options, 3/6 show drinks, and have them next to each other (food, drink, food, drink, food, drink) so people can see them across the whole width of the stand.

I think they should partner with Brightline to try to attract fans from Fort Lauderdale and West Palm.  There's no direct connection from the Miami Brightline station to the park, but they could run shuttles or something instead of having to take Tri-Rail.  Could either have a shuttle directly from Brightline or I guess you could ride metrorail to the culmer or civic center stations then to the park from there?  I've never taken metrorail before.

Yeah, the area does suck.  There's nothing around it worth coming early to or staying late at after.  Friends and I will get in the car and head back home to Fort Lauderdale to eat, or occasionally to Miami/Miami Beach.  I will say, there has been more development in the area within the last year or two (nice looking apartment complexes around the corner, a school, etc.), so maybe it's just a matter of time, but since it wasn't done by the team as part of a ballpark "village", it'll have to come organically - and that's a tough sell to businesses when so few people go to games, as there's no other draw in the area, no other real reason for businesses to open there.  I don't say that to be negative toward residents there, but it's a reality of it being a lower income area - it's not going to draw the restaurants and bars and stores that you see in those "hangout" areas around other parks, at least until more consistent crowds start showing up.  I don't think it'll happen, but putting Beckham's park next to Marlins Park would help this effort, as it'd be an additional draw for businesses to open there.  SunTrust Park was built with this in mind from the get-go - they built a whole complex around it to draw those businesses.  Marlins Park was plopped in an available plot of land, but hey!  There's storefronts in the garages (some of which are still empty, btw)!  That's cool, right???

It also seems they've downplayed the Clevelander this year - not sure if it's a Clevelander choice or a Marlins choice - the sign that was above it in the park is now the "just gettin' started" sign, and post game "promotion" (the "hey, check this out after the game" thing) has gone to the 5th base instead of Clevelander like years past.

---

I wonder if they could build something like you propose in the right field corner by the supercolumn?  It wouldn't be the biggest space, but it's currently unused.

See by the Micosukee column sign:

gettyimages-481803313.jpg?w=1024%26h=576%26crop=1&key=652634557d7f4b91408cfa7f0500799009dbd846b937c98a7ff358fe6b9c663e

26689897373_5a07d487d2_b.jpg&key=4b520434fec4c1b47cea9f97884105c726981bee30c82c6459db144d40d1da24

One place they could probably easily do what you're proposing without building something new (they'd have to remove sections) would be on the third base line - there are 3 sections in the upper deck that are by themselves between the supercolumns:

5.c27863.jpg&key=5f438576cc551bc3233b5c8f440b28e206b4cd6e78b8482530bb743b1529dbf3

They could do something like what Coors Field did and lop of the seats and install what you're proposing:

Before:

a-coors-1.jpg?w=604%26h=453&key=2d7269760b095514c69fe03ee4c69eb9404dffe034d7edd3abe9de80be4bb221

After:

2014-04-04-Coors-Field01-690x460.jpg&key=1bd743e76c0a978a73fbe7a75d5ac3d46bb9b2713b5c75ecae48c80435d41be4

I agree with this but it kinda also shows why the ballpark experience is probably even more important for us than for many other teams. It almost becomes the Marlins responsibility to provide the pre game and post game entertainment.

This is also brings up the 5th Base tent that they have this year. It's a huge post game party set up in a tent outside of the west plaza and, while I've never actually gone in, it looks like a lot of people are participating in this after the games. Keeping that going and improving it is probably one key thing they'll do. 

I haven't been to the 5th Base before - is it an outdoor thing or enclosed?

As I mentioned above, it seems like the 5th Base this year has taken priority over the Clevelander, but it's also good to have options - Clevelander has a night club vibe, whereas from the description, 5th base is more of a bar type setup?

I haven't been to the 5th Base before - is it an outdoor thing or indoors?

As I mentioned above, it seems like the 5th Base this year has taken priority over the Clevelander, but it's also good to have options - Clevelander has a night club vibe, whereas from the description, 5th base is more of a bar type setup?

I havent been inside the 5th base tent but it seems similar to the clevelander with loud music and a party atmosphere but more family friendly as you can take your kids in there unlike the clevelander which is 21 and over. And yes its indoors inside of a large tent.  

Ya the Coors field renovation is a good example of what we can potentially do.  There is no need for all those upper deck RF seats.  Im not saying get rid of all of them, but renovate it to add a cool little bar/restaurant standing room only kind of place.  Im telling you as someone who has a bunch of friends who hate baseball but wouldnt mind going to something like the braves or rockies bar thing in the outfield.  

Maybe im in the minority, but to me the clevelander just stinks.  It needed to be in a place where you can see the whole game easily from the entire area.  Unless you have seats there its hard to see the game well and other than the club style music theres just nothing special or fun about the clevelander to me.

Maybe im in the minority, but to me the clevelander just stinks.  It needed to be in a place where you can see the whole game easily from the entire area.  Unless you have seats there its hard to see the game well and other than the club style music theres just nothing special or fun about the clevelander to me

This is because you go to the Clevelander to watch the game. That place is targeted for people who want to pretend they're at a nightclub and just have the game in the background. 

I havent been inside the 5th base tent but it seems similar to the clevelander with loud music and a party atmosphere but more family friendly as you can take your kids in there unlike the clevelander which is 21 and over. And yes its indoors inside of a large tent.  

I'm wondering if they'll eventually build a permanent structure for it if it seems to be successful - can't imagine they'll keep it in a tent forever.

I always park in the neighborhood around the same spot and walk the same path to the park so I haven’t really noticed the tenants/vacancies on the storefronts, but from what I can tell they’re all empty.  Maybe I’ve missed something, but I remember when the uproar over the parking garages was going on the team really sold that street level storefront concept and as far as I can tell it has been a complete failure. 

Pre and post game activities cannot be concocted by the team.  It is part of the culture of a particular area.  Floridians are tailgaters by nature.  I loved that about playing at Joe Robbie.  No, it wasn’t a robust tailgate scene like you would see at a football game but you could do it if you really wanted.  The neighborhood ballpark model in Florida is going to take a very long time to gather steam pre and post game. 

This one may cost more money than the team is willing to spend but I think the stadium design in left field falls a little short in two areas.  First, the static portion of the roof in left field should have been constructed with EFTE panels like they used in Minneapolis as to allow more natural light through and give the illusion that the sliding doors are even larger.  Second,  the doors should have been constructed to slide out further.  The second point isn’t as big of a deal. 

If you’re talking about places to put standing room/drinking areas the place where the home run sculpture sits would be a good one.  I don’t need either so I don’t have a dog in the fight, nor do I want to start the fight, but it would work there.

With capacity already extremely low I can’t imagine the team taking more seats out to make for standing room, regardless of attendance issues.  The hope would be that attendance doesn’t remain at current levels.

Someone mentioned the soccer stadium….the idea of putting it by Marlins park has been permanently shelved so that won’t happen.

More on soccer….is anyone concerned that a local MLS side will provide another element which hurts Marlins attendance?  Personally I don’t think so, but I also don’t think that thing will succeed (which is a topic for another forum)

I always park in the neighborhood around the same spot and walk the same path to the park so I haven’t really noticed the tenants/vacancies on the storefronts, but from what I can tell they’re all empty.  Maybe I’ve missed something, but I remember when the uproar over the parking garages was going on the team really sold that street level storefront concept and as far as I can tell it has been a complete failure. 

Pre and post game activities cannot be concocted by the team.  It is part of the culture of a particular area.  Floridians are tailgaters by nature.  I loved that about playing at Joe Robbie.  No, it wasn’t a robust tailgate scene like you would see at a football game but you could do it if you really wanted.  The neighborhood ballpark model in Florida is going to take a very long time to gather steam pre and post game. 

This one may cost more money than the team is willing to spend but I think the stadium design in left field falls a little short in two areas.  First, the static portion of the roof in left field should have been constructed with EFTE panels like they used in Minneapolis as to allow more natural light through and give the illusion that the sliding doors are even larger.  Second,  the doors should have been constructed to slide out further.  The second point isn’t as big of a deal. 

If you’re talking about places to put standing room/drinking areas the place where the home run sculpture sits would be a good one.  I don’t need either so I don’t have a dog in the fight, nor do I want to start the fight, but it would work there.

With capacity already extremely low I can’t imagine the team taking more seats out to make for standing room, regardless of attendance issues.  The hope would be that attendance doesn’t remain at current levels.

Someone mentioned the soccer stadium….the idea of putting it by Marlins park has been permanently shelved so that won’t happen.

More on soccer….is anyone concerned that a local MLS side will provide another element which hurts Marlins attendance?  Personally I don’t think so, but I also don’t think that thing will succeed (which is a topic for another forum)

They should have put the storefronts on the inside of the garages facing the stadium, then restaurants and whatnot could've opened in them and been "connected" to the ballpark and environment, rather than a separate entity from them now.  Though, I suppose that doesn't help them the rest of the year when there are no games.

Your idea of using the home run sculpture as SRO bar - so you're basically saying just extend the budweiser bar then?

I mentioned the soccer stadium, and said that it wouldn't happen.

I looked up the MLS season - it's literally the same as baseball season - March through October.   Teams play 34 games, half home/half away, so that'd be 17 games a year home. The schedule seems to vary, but it looks as though games are typically 4-7 days apart.  So Marlins attendance may take a dip on those 17 days throughout the season, but it shouldn't affect the other 64 games.  If they put the soccer stadium at Melreese park, I think there may be a bit of an "east vs. west" thing too - meaning those that live east might just go to the marlins game and those west might pick the soccer game unless they really want to go to one or the other.

You and about 10,000 other people that used to go to games. 

I don't think it is actually that high, I think the attendance was relatively close to just as shitty last year. We know Samson, Loria and company were reporting padded numbers along with buying extra seats while the new regime has been reporting actual attendance. This has all been in the news the past few months. It was shit last year and is shit this year, but it is probably a difference of 2-3k tops.

You and about 10,000 other people that used to go to games. 

I see your point, but you can't just look at official attendance numbers, though.  With Loria & Co inflating numbers, "20,000" would often be 7,000 actually there.

I don't doubt that actual attendance is lower (I wonder if they have internal numbers as to what actual attendance - scanned tickets - was last year), but it's probably not as drastic of a drop as the YOY official numbers indicate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.