Ugh Samson...

Was this some sort of tongue in cheek event like a celebrity roast ?

It was, I took it more as a friendly roast / insultathon than anything else. The event had tons of people from te show come out and celebrate the birthday and I'm sure a big part of it is he was screwing with them while they were booing him.

For what it's worth, I'm not against the stadium- so my feelings aren't butthurt over this.

You wanna be a MLB City and get Major Events, you need to have the infrastructures for it. Look at how one Miami city is fighting to get the Dolphins Headquarters for instance.

Why is there a group of people that feel for Samson? He, number 1, was partly responsible for the cheating the city out of millions of dollars to have the stadium built. Number 2, he traded away countless major league assets, to acquire pieces that had no real value for the organization. Number 3, was overall unable to be swayed by the value of analytics. I just don't get why there is fanfare toward the guy, him and Loria's regime are entirely responsible for the actions taken by Jeter and company.

Number 2, he traded away countless major league assets, to acquire pieces that had no real value for the organization

As shitty as some of Samson's decisions and talking points were, I don't believe he traded anyone personally. He was in charge of the business side, not the baseball ops side.

As shitty as some of Samson's decisions and talking points were, I don't believe he traded anyone personally. He was in charge of the business side, not the baseball ops side.

He was a part of the trade talks. Based on the interview at least, he gave the impression that he had a fair bit of say when it came down to who was moved and for what. I'm not saying he is solely responsible for the Disco trade, or the debacle that was any trade we have ever made with the padres, but I do feel he had enough power to say no to those actions.

Why is there a group of people that feel for Samson? He, number 1, was partly responsible for the cheating the city out of millions of dollars to have the stadium built. Number 2, he traded away countless major league assets, to acquire pieces that had no real value for the organization. Number 3, was overall unable to be swayed by the value of analytics. I just don't get why there is fanfare toward the guy, him and Loria's regime are entirely responsible for the actions taken by Jeter and company.

I didn't know there was a group of people feeling for Samson?

He was a part of the trade talks. Based on the interview at least, he gave the impression that he had a fair bit of say when it came down to who was moved and for what. I'm not saying he is solely responsible for the Disco trade, or the debacle that was any trade we have ever made with the padres, but I do feel he had enough power to say no to those actions.

I've never heard him talk about things he did regarding moves, more "we" as an organization.

To be fair, owner Loria meddled in baseball operations, demanded signings and trades, and even negotiated with free agents before consulting with baseball operations so it wouldn't shock me to hear his son in law also having a hand in baseball operations decisions. Comparing Chip Bowers' boundaries and duties as team president to Samson's isn't necessarily the same. 

We all need to agree on who to blame for the state of the organization that Jeter inherited. Is it Mike Hill, David Samson or Jeff Loria?

I say Loria. The man who according to Samson overruled everyone on everything.

Also on the son in law thing, he's a former son in law and I think that marriage ended before his ownership of the Marlins. Not sure that mattered as much. Loria after all threatened to fire Samson if he appeared on Lebatard's show again even.

We all need to agree on who to blame for the state of the organization that Jeter inherited. Is it Mike Hill, David Samson or Jeff Loria?

I say Loria. The man who according to Samson overruled everyone on everything.

Also on the son in law thing, he's a former son in law and I think that marriage ended before his ownership of the Marlins. Not sure that mattered as much. Loria after all threatened to fire Samson if he appeared on Lebatard's show again even.

Loria is definitely "the one to blame" but man you're more defensive of Samson than ever lately. The details on his mother's marriage don't change the fact that he could easily have been more involved in baseball operations than most other people with the title of team president. Did Samson get you something extra special for Christmas this year? 

I sure as shit dont feel for Samson.

Just stating he wasnt wrong in that he got the team sold for 1.2 billion.  

That's a fact.  Whether fans like it or not.  In spite of their miserly ways, and flat out mismanagement....

1.2 billion dollars.

Loria is definitely "the one to blame" but man you're more defensive of Samson than ever lately. The details on his mother's marriage don't change the fact that he could easily have been more involved in baseball operations than most other people with the title of team president. Did Samson get you something extra special for Christmas this year? 

I get the feeling since Samson had a knack for speaking in public confidently he was the mouthpiece for the organization AND the one to be blamed for it all because of it.

The Marlins didn't want to trade Cabrera, he ate his way off 3B and eventually off 1B too for a period of time. The Marlins told him drop weight and they'll extend him, and he GAINED weight before he was traded to Detroit.

Samson was always the public face, we rarely heard from Loria or saw him... and Hill would conduct interviews and seem very quiet and meek.

Hills spoken more confidently and methodically since Jeter took over, which is nice.

But the fact remains... Loria was an impulsive child not unlike Veruca Salt... and he demanded things get done and get done now. He consistantly overruled his business and baseball people. He repeatedly negotiated MLB contracts for middle relievers that had no business being on a MLB 40 man even, personally signed FA players without consulting the baseball ops and even wouldn't take their advise on how to better spend the money since it was suddenly available.

He probably thought everytime he personally negociated, he'd get another Pudge. He instead looked like a putz.