Denbo explains how next few years will go

Admin

In retrospect, the Marlins’ tear-it-down approach seemed justified — because of the revenue challenges here - and all of the trades look like sound except the Christian Yelich deal.

Say what you will about the Yelich trade, but you've got to have real gumption to rag on someone's job performance using a sentence with not 1, but 2 typos (hyphen instead of em dash and "looks like sound").

Actually, I take it back. Don't say what you will. Instead, analyze the trade based on the information available the time of the trade. It was smart trade, given Yelich was a-throwin' a hissy fit.

He's speaking confidently but is the article making light of that or am I misreading it? It's basically saying "this guy is really confident but it might not even work out." Is that some kind of surprise? When has any baseball team been a guaranteed success in the making and why shouldn't Denbo speak confidently especially to the media? What a weird way to present this article.

• Like 2

He's speaking confidently but is the article making light of that or am I misreading it? It's basically saying "this guy is really confident but it might not even work out." Is that some kind of surprise? When has any baseball team been a guaranteed success in the making and why shouldn't Denbo speak confidently especially to the media? What a weird way to present this article.

Yeah I'd just focus on what Denbo said and ignore Barry Jackson's influence. He has shown some signs of being bias in the past.

• Like 1

Also this which we've joked about but here it is again...

"Miami gave up six years of what looks like a mid-rotation starter (Zac Gallen) for six-ish years of Chisholm, who might be a superstar or strike out too much to be anything at all."

So the narrative is once again that Chisholm is gonna be hit or miss while Gallen is almost surely gonna be successful? Why does nobody realize that Gallen's success could be hit or miss as well especially considering the projections on both working their way up... nobody ever said Gallen would be great when he was a minor leaguer. Why are they so sure of him now?

• Like 2

Yeah I'd just focus on what Denbo said and ignore Barry Jackson's influence. He has shown some signs of being bias in the past.

Jackson has never been this tongue in cheek though that's why it stood out to me. I really could be overthinking it though but I dunno. It sure looks like "hey guys look how confident this guy is lol!"

Question... in the immediate aftermath of the trade, was the Gallen trade more panned than the Yelich trade in terms of ripping on what the Marlins gave up? Did people say Yelich was a future MVP when he was sent to the Brewers because I don't remember the complaints as much as the complaints about giving up Gallen.

I note that all the talk is about the more recent additions but I have a bias that the media seems to ignore one guy that may leap above the bigger names, and that is Jerar. Been watching this beast get better each year. He is one of the few signed by the old regime. The article did not even mention him in the outfield discussion.

• Like 1

Question... in the immediate aftermath of the trade, was the Gallen trade more panned than the Yelich trade in terms of ripping on what the Marlins gave up? Did people say Yelich was a future MVP when he was sent to the Brewers because I don't remember the complaints as much as the complaints about giving up Gallen.

I recall a lot of people didn't like the trade, I was not too happy about it myself (I never care for the "He didn't want to be here" argument, he'll play and if he doesn't want to be here, he'll play his ass off to make himself a very good mid season or off season trade target). I think some people did breakdowns at the time that showed it was a bad deal too, so it's not like all the frustration over that trade was "hindsight is 20/20".

Then again, my memory may also be bad.

I recall a lot of people didn't like the trade, I was not too happy about it myself (I never care for the "He didn't want to be here" argument, he'll play and if he doesn't want to be here, he'll play his ass off to make himself a very good mid season or off season trade target). I think some people did breakdowns at the time that showed it was a bad deal too, so it's not like all the frustration over that trade was "hindsight is 20/20".

Then again, my memory may also be bad.

That's not exactly what I mean.

When Yelich left here people were like he's good but he's never been an all star he should be fine no big deal.

But when Gallen left here it was like omg they gave up this stud can't miss pitcher!!!

. It was smart trade, given Yelich was a-throwin' a hissy fit.

I agreed with everything you said until this part.

Amazing club friendly contract. You don’t have to trade someone because they’re having a hissy fit. They’ll get over it on a few weeks.

As it stands now, the Yelich trade is a RAGING dumpster fire, sir.

I agreed with everything you said until this part.

Amazing club friendly contract. You don’t have to trade someone because they’re having a hissy fit. They’ll get over it on a few weeks.

As it stands now, the Yelich trade is a RAGING dumpster fire, sir.

We're still going to win another title before Milwaukee.

• Like 2

Michael, what does that have to do with the return that Miami got from the Brewers?

But that there is the problem with assessing a trade post hoc. Either you assess it given the information that was available at the time of the trade (which most regarded it to be a fair trade, or maybe a slight Brewers win), or you must leave the door open for reassessment for the next 5-6 years while these players all finish out their team control.

I guarantee you that second method will be calling it the dumbest Brewers trade of all time if 3 of the 4 prospects the Marlins got are key members of a championship team while Yellich fritters away his prime years on a mediocre Milwaukee squad. Is that the most likely outcome? Certainly not. But that's a possibility when you leave the book open on a trade analysis.

Either you can analyze with 2017 information, or you can leave the book open. But you can't just choose 2019 as the end point. That's dumber than sweeting up your grits by adding cow turds.

• Like 2