Marlins on YouTube 2021- ?

39 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

That's true on the former.  I'm not so sure on the latter - someone's just not going to watch because it's not a normal season?

Absolutely man! I got rid of my Disney and universal studios passes only cause last time I went, the “new normal” was so far from normal that it kind of snapped me out of the mentality of that it’s a fun thing to do. And for some, a game with people wearing masks, no fans and fake droning white noise may kind of snap them out of it too. I’m not saying that it’s what’s causing it, but from a scientific perspective you can’t ignore the possibility of these factors when looking at the drop off in viewership. 

15 hours ago, Das Texan said:

Mets have a passionate fan base that has been passionate albiet jaded for decades.

Marlins have no fan base based largely on ownership fucking things over and over again.

the programming leading into the live sports isnt bringing in new viewers.  The same people watching on SUNY for the lead in programs would be watching the Mets also.

You make it sound like fans are going to all of a sudden wake up and say, oh why the fuck not!

Baseline the ratings from 2019 to 2020.

I bet the Marlins are up.

I bet the Mets are at a minimum baseline from last year if not up.

Its not the programming leading into the baseball games.

RSN's literally do not give a flying fuck about other programming other than the live sports and/or any related shows that are tied to said live sports programming (aka inside the clubhouse or whatever the fuck each team calls it)

Guaranteed.

While I agree that it's not fair to compare Mets and Marlins, local Miami sports coverage is very shitty for the Marlins. If there were eyeballs glued to the channel for other programs, they would see the Marlins ads showing the team in contention and more people who didn't hear the news from local sports radio would tune in.

2 hours ago, MarlinsFan19 said:

Orlando is not the de facto home team for the Rays.

Orlando barely has a connection with their own NBA and MLS teams.

In comparison, The Marlins are much more popular in the West Palm-Ft.Pierce market than the Rays are in the Orlando market.

Orlando’s actually a 50/50 split between Rays and Marlins, and the Marlins have a majority in Brevard County.

The Marlins should add a radio affiliate in Orlando. (They don’t have one now.)

I lived in Orlando for a few years and I am now in Gainesville. I've actually seen more Rays gear on random people walking around in Gainesville (btw, I saw an #ourcolores Marlins licence plate yesterday!). As for the Magic, they are garbage so I can see why fans don't show up. But the city does support Orlando City. They haven't made the ever made the playoffs, but they get decent attendance by MLS standards and I'd seen a lot of folks wearing purple during my time there.

4 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

I lived in Orlando for a few years and I am now in Gainesville. I've actually seen more Rays gear on random people walking around in Gainesville (btw, I saw an #ourcolores Marlins licence plate yesterday!). As for the Magic, they are garbage so I can see why fans don't show up. But the city does support Orlando City. They haven't made the ever made the playoffs, but they get decent attendance by MLS standards and I'd seen a lot of folks wearing purple during my time there.

Yeah Gainesville is definitely either Braves or Rays fans. Though most don’t really give a crap about baseball. But they’ll murder someone for the gator football team lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Man you’d be surprised how many people I know swore off the marlins after the walk out with the Mets. Again, IDC to touch on the morality of emotions of that decision, it’s just facts that I’ve experienced. Some people are really really political and act like they have a seat in Congress lol

That was just like two weeks ago though. How many of those people will get over it if this team makes the playoffs? I'd imagine most people got upset that day and over time will forget that even happened.

1 minute ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Yeah Gainesville is definitely either Braves or Rays fans. Though most don’t really give a crap about baseball. But they’ll murder someone for the gator football team lol

I don't know if it is safe to wear UCF gear. I know it is not safe to wear Seminoles or Hurricane gear.

36 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Man you’d be surprised how many people I know swore off the marlins after the walk out with the Mets. Again, IDC to touch on the morality of emotions of that decision, it’s just facts that I’ve experienced. Some people are really really political and act like they have a seat in Congress lol

I would not be surprised if most of the people who said that, just like most of the people who said that they were going to "boycott" the Marlins after the 2012 or 2017 fire sales, weren't very big fans to begin with.

1 minute ago, FishFan95 said:

I would not be surprised if most of the people who said that, just like most of the people who said that they were going to "boycott" the Marlins after the 2012 or 2017 fire sales, weren't very big fans to begin with.

I don’t think it speaks so much to their fandom as it does to their extreme radicalization of their political views. People are killing people over their views, you don’t think they’ll stop watching baseball? People are losing their minds lol

1 minute ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I don’t think it speaks so much to their fandom as it does to their extreme radicalization of their political views. People are killing people over their views, you don’t think they’ll stop watching baseball? People are losing their minds lol

I think the people with extreme political views are more of a minority than it seems. They just yell the loudest.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

The Rays are in a horrible spot. 

Ocala and North: Braves Country

Orlando: Split between MIA/TB.

Naples/Fort Myers: Fort Myers is MIA/TB split, Naples is majority Marlins.

The Rays are going to move because the only market that they have majority support in is the Tampa/St. Pete Area.

The Marlins will be able to capitalize and build a dynasty because they will be the only MLB team in Florida in 2028 and will have EXCLUSIVE STATEWIDE TELEVISION TERRITORY.

In 2028, the Marlins will have the Largest Population of EXCLUSIVE TV TERRITORY in MLB!!!

The Marlins will have the largest captive audience in Baseball that can only watch our club on Local Cable TV.

The times I’ve visited Orlando I’ve seen way more Miami Heat Vice Plates than Magic Plates.

Edited by MarlinsFan19

21 minutes ago, MarlinsFan19 said:

The Rays are in a horrible spot. 

Ocala and North: Braves Country

Orlando: Split between MIA/TB.

Naples/Fort Myers: Fort Myers is MIA/TB split, Naples is majority Marlins.

The Rays are going to move because the only market that they have majority support in is the Tampa/St. Pete Area.

The Marlins will be able to capitalize and build a dynasty because they will be the only MLB team in Florida in 2028 and will have EXCLUSIVE STATEWIDE TELEVISION TERRITORY.

The times I’ve visited Orlando I’ve seen way more Miami Heat Vice Plates than Magic Plates.

You mean you don't expect the joke of a plan get not one but TWO cities to build a team a ballpark for half the time to work out?

Shocking lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Actually, I believe the Rays have a huge television market (like Top 7). They are big in Orlando too.

Their issue is no one in the city of Tampa can physically reach their stadium during weekday games.

I lived in Tampa and never understood why people groused about traffic going TOWARDS the stadium...there was relatively little traffic going towards the Trop (going away from it during rush hour is horrid though).  I took the Howard Frankland bridge across the pond and into St. Pete and it was always a pretty straight shot with very little congestion going in that direction  - but man, you could see people stuck for miles in the opposite direction.  It honestly showed that people genuinely THOUGHT it would take forever but if you actually drove it you would see it was pretty easy to get to even during the weekdays.

16 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I lived in Tampa and never understood why people groused about traffic going TOWARDS the stadium...there was relatively little traffic going towards the Trop (going away from it during rush hour is horrid though).  I took the Howard Frankland bridge across the pond and into St. Pete and it was always a pretty straight shot with very little congestion going in that direction  - but man, you could see people stuck for miles in the opposite direction.  It honestly showed that people genuinely THOUGHT it would take forever but if you actually drove it you would see it was pretty easy to get to even during the weekdays.

Well, I've spent a little time in Tampa without a car, and frankly, St. Pete might as well have been on the moon. I could walk to Lightning games, but -- especially in the absence of a light rail or something high speed to get across the bay -- getting to Rays games was a non starter. Think of the folks who can walk to Marlins Park. I'd bet we're talking double the population that can walk to the Trop. And when you can walk and tickets are cheap, it's real hard for a baseball fan to say no.

But now I'm all confused. Why are we talking about this?

11 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Well, I've spent a little time in Tampa without a car, and frankly, St. Pete might as well have been on the moon. I could walk to Lightning games, but -- especially in the absence of a light rail or something high speed to get across the bay -- getting to Rays games was a non starter. Think of the folks who can walk to Marlins Park. I'd bet we're talking double the population that can walk to the Trop. And when you can walk and tickets are cheap, it's real hard for a baseball fan to say no.

But now I'm all confused. Why are we talking about this?

Nobody's (fine, very few) walking to Marlins Park lol

The surrounding are, while improving, isn't conducive to that.

Edited by rmc523

Just now, rmc523 said:

Nobody's walking to Marlins Park lol

A few years ago, I took the free shuttle from the Metrorail station to Marlins park before the game just for the experience, and walked to the stadium and I thought, “What a nice resource, more people should be taking advantage of this” and then after the game, I took the shuttle back to the Metrorail station and I was like “Oh, Ok, now I know why more people don’t take advantage of this.” Hahaha. Much different world after 10 pm. 😂

1 hour ago, SirFishFan said:

A few years ago, I took the free shuttle from the Metrorail station to Marlins park before the game just for the experience, and walked to the stadium and I thought, “What a nice resource, more people should be taking advantage of this” and then after the game, I took the shuttle back to the Metrorail station and I was like “Oh, Ok, now I know why more people don’t take advantage of this.” Hahaha. Much different world after 10 pm. 😂

I can imagine.  Did you take the Brightline as part of that?

33 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

No, this was a few years ago. I think before the Brightline was around.

Ah.  I know it'll never happen, but it'd be nice to have a station near the park so folks from up north could take the Brightline to Miami Central and then take the rail directly to the park from there.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Ah.  I know it'll never happen, but it'd be nice to have a station near the park so folks from up north could take the Brightline to Miami Central and then take the rail directly to the park from there.

Yeah, that would be good. For some fans that maybe don’t have their own transportation or just people that don’t want to spend the extra money on parking.

It would be cool to have a good public transportation system to Marlins park, as you said like a train station that stops right in front of Marlins park would good, especially during day games or even evening games, avoiding that rush hour traffic and getting straight to the ballpark.

I did find this info on the Marlins website:

Brightline

Traveling from Broward and the Palm Beaches? Skip the traffic and ride into gameday action with Brightline.

Experience carefree, car free travel on your way to and from Marlins Park.

• Hop on at the Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach Brightline station
  • Arrive at the Virgin MiamiCentral station, which is just 12 minutes away from Marlins Park (The Virgin MiamiCentral station is located at 600 NW 1st Avenue)
  • Head outside the station to the Miami Transit Authority bus stop to board Bus #55 for direct drop off at Marlins Park; the ride share pick-up/drop off area is also located outside the entrance of Virgin MiamiCentral

The Miami Marlins and Brightline have teamed up to bring you an exclusive offer for Brightline to select Marlins Games. Fans can enter promo code "MARLINS" to save 30% on SMART ride passes or 20% on SELECT and SMART PLUS ride passes at gobrightline.com.

Still not as good as a direct train to the ballpark, but I guess the people up north do have that option if they’re up for a fun adventure. 😂

43 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Yeah, that would be good. For some fans that maybe don’t have their own transportation or just people that don’t want to spend the extra money on parking.

It would be cool to have a good public transportation system to Marlins park, as you said like a train station that stops right in front of Marlins park would good, especially during day games or even evening games, avoiding that rush hour traffic and getting straight to the ballpark.

I did find this info on the Marlins website:

Brightline

Traveling from Broward and the Palm Beaches? Skip the traffic and ride into gameday action with Brightline.

Experience carefree, car free travel on your way to and from Marlins Park.

• Hop on at the Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach Brightline station
  • Arrive at the Virgin MiamiCentral station, which is just 12 minutes away from Marlins Park (The Virgin MiamiCentral station is located at 600 NW 1st Avenue)
  • Head outside the station to the Miami Transit Authority bus stop to board Bus #55 for direct drop off at Marlins Park; the ride share pick-up/drop off area is also located outside the entrance of Virgin MiamiCentral

The Miami Marlins and Brightline have teamed up to bring you an exclusive offer for Brightline to select Marlins Games. Fans can enter promo code "MARLINS" to save 30% on SMART ride passes or 20% on SELECT and SMART PLUS ride passes at gobrightline.com.

Still not as good as a direct train to the ballpark, but I guess the people up north do have that option if they’re up for a fun adventure. 😂

That was hard to read.  Yeah, I remember they did something toward the end of last year with Brightline.  I definitely think they should continue that (it'd be interesting to see the numbers on it of how many people took it).  The big problem/question is whether they hold /have a train late enough for after the game ends.