Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

DH Will Not Be Universal

Featured Replies

The DH will not be universal this year. It's been reported that the NL will go back to the normal boring tradition. 

  • Author

Just want to clearify that it's been reported but not set in stone.  Manfred has stated it will go back to no DH but it could have public backlash to change. 

22 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Just want to clearify that it's been reported but not set in stone.  Manfred has stated it will go back to no DH but it could have public backlash to change. 

I sure hope so. Go get em, public!

I think they ought to just keep the DH.

 

Manfred probably wants to take it away just so he can use it as a "give" in CBA negotiations.

Edited by rmc523

I don't love the DH but it's coming for sure so to not have it in 2021 when it was there in 2020 and is likely to be there in 2022 is pretty damn silly. 

In Marlins world what does this mean for Jesus Aguilar is the more important question out of this.

8 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

The DH will not be universal this year. It's been reported that the NL will go back to the normal boring tradition. 

that's how true baseball is play, you want DH and crazy rules go watch KBO

  • Author
3 hours ago, el_gmac said:

that's how true baseball is play, you want DH and crazy rules go watch KBO

Just because I stated a fact that it was boring doesn't mean I'm for it.   Maybe some people get excited watching a pitcher strike lightning with a bloop single twice a year.  Personally, I don't find it all that productive or entertaining. But who knows, some folks like to watch the full movie credits after it's over just for fun and that's ok.

Fans against the DH usually fuss because they believe that it's a chess game to manage, when really, it's more like playing checkers.  

Crazy rules would be 7 inning double headers with the random last out on 2nd base in extras.  I'm not advocating that.  

 

 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry

3 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

some folks like to watch the full movie credits after it's over just for fun and that's ok.

sri lanka what GIF by Viber

7 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

 some folks like to watch the full movie credits after it's over just for fun and that's ok.

Sometimes you get extra scene at the end

  • Author
24 minutes ago, el_gmac said:

Sometimes you get extra scene at the end

Yeah about as often as a pitcher getting a base hit.   

43 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Yeah about as often as a pitcher getting a base hit.   

But is exiting AF

I’m actually surprised the consensus here favors the boring ass universal DH. 
 

yes most pitchers suck at hitting, but the strategy surrounding that lineup spot makes the game significantly more entertaining. Deciding when to PH. Double switches. Example 1-1 game in the Bottom 5th and your starter is dealing but you have bases loaded 2 outs. Do you PH to try to score or stick with your ace? Things like that are why baseball is the greatest game in the world. 
 

with universal DH the skill is almost completely removed from bullpen management, even moreso now with the idiotic 3 hitter minimum rule for relievers. 
 

the current situation is perfect. If you like the boring mindless no strategy DH baseball you have the Americans league. If you enjoy the game for its strategy and intricacies you have the NL. No reason to ruin the NL also. 

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I'd prefer no DH at all to universal DH. I love the strategy of having no DH.

And I’m sure as the pro DH people wake up we’re going to get lambasted for our opinions. However, this topic is very much about personal preference. If right now we have a perfect balance of a league that has it and one that doesn’t why change it ? It’s like when a religious fanatic needs to impose their beliefs on me. I don’t bother them about their beliefs so why push them on me. 
 

the argument that DH makes the game less boring because there’s more scoring suffers from the typical Manfred idiocy that more offensive equals less boredom. His entire premise has always been wrong. People who think baseball is boring think so because of the pace of play. Pitch clocks, more offense, stupid 3 batter minimum rules aren’t going to make the game less boring for those type of people. 
 

keep it the way it is which is a perfect compromise and don’t ruin the game for the other half of the fans. 

Edited by legacyofCangelosi

I don't like the stuff of "forced pitching change", "forced double switch " and the most of the pitchers get hurt due to hitting and running the bases.

47 minutes ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

Pitch clocks

Actually, I do want this one.

And I keep pointing back to a Spring Training game a couple years ago that ended up with a 13-8 final in under 3 hours due to pitch clock. Heh. I know it's anecdotal but gosh dang that game had me locked in like a playoff game. Pitch clock absolutely accelerates pace of play (or really, pace of action).

As for the DH - I'm not necessarily pro DH but I see it as inevitable and you won't lose *that* much strategy. Shoot the three batter minimum required more of it so that's one that I came around to actually liking.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.