DH Will Not Be Universal

3 hours ago, el_gmac said:

that's how true baseball is play, you want DH and crazy rules go watch KBO

Just because I stated a fact that it was boring doesn't mean I'm for it.   Maybe some people get excited watching a pitcher strike lightning with a bloop single twice a year.  Personally, I don't find it all that productive or entertaining. But who knows, some folks like to watch the full movie credits after it's over just for fun and that's ok.

Fans against the DH usually fuss because they believe that it's a chess game to manage, when really, it's more like playing checkers.  

Crazy rules would be 7 inning double headers with the random last out on 2nd base in extras.  I'm not advocating that.  

Edited by jeffreysfishfry

I’m actually surprised the consensus here favors the boring ass universal DH. 

yes most pitchers suck at hitting, but the strategy surrounding that lineup spot makes the game significantly more entertaining. Deciding when to PH. Double switches. Example 1-1 game in the Bottom 5th and your starter is dealing but you have bases loaded 2 outs. Do you PH to try to score or stick with your ace? Things like that are why baseball is the greatest game in the world. 

with universal DH the skill is almost completely removed from bullpen management, even moreso now with the idiotic 3 hitter minimum rule for relievers. 

the current situation is perfect. If you like the boring mindless no strategy DH baseball you have the Americans league. If you enjoy the game for its strategy and intricacies you have the NL. No reason to ruin the NL also. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I'd prefer no DH at all to universal DH. I love the strategy of having no DH.

And I’m sure as the pro DH people wake up we’re going to get lambasted for our opinions. However, this topic is very much about personal preference. If right now we have a perfect balance of a league that has it and one that doesn’t why change it ? It’s like when a religious fanatic needs to impose their beliefs on me. I don’t bother them about their beliefs so why push them on me. 

the argument that DH makes the game less boring because there’s more scoring suffers from the typical Manfred idiocy that more offensive equals less boredom. His entire premise has always been wrong. People who think baseball is boring think so because of the pace of play. Pitch clocks, more offense, stupid 3 batter minimum rules aren’t going to make the game less boring for those type of people. 

keep it the way it is which is a perfect compromise and don’t ruin the game for the other half of the fans. 

Edited by legacyofCangelosi
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, legacyofCangelosi said:

Pitch clocks

Actually, I do want this one.

And I keep pointing back to a Spring Training game a couple years ago that ended up with a 13-8 final in under 3 hours due to pitch clock. Heh. I know it's anecdotal but gosh dang that game had me locked in like a playoff game. Pitch clock absolutely accelerates pace of play (or really, pace of action).

As for the DH - I'm not necessarily pro DH but I see it as inevitable and you won't lose *that* much strategy. Shoot the three batter minimum required more of it so that's one that I came around to actually liking.

• Like 1