TV Deal: The Stalemate Continues (Journalists Have No Timetable on Signing)

7 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Why shouldn't they be connected?

Because a team should always be trying to be competitive even if the TV deal isn't of high value. Because why would a team ever not be trying to compete?

I know the truth is they are connected especially for a team like the Marlins but maybe that's what this guy meant?

From a casual fan perspective, it sounds bad for a team owner to say that whether or not they'll compete is dependent on TV rights negotiations. 

• Banana 1

4 hours ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

Let me make this abundantly clear. I love the Marlins, but during these three years, there have been some big misses on the business side. The Chip Bowers hiring was one. Small, but still bad look. The lack of a naming rights deal is another lack of progression on the business side, in addition to the TV Deal. Now, I do believe the Marlins on the Baseball side are improving with the much stronger farm system and should be good enough this season to at least compete for a playoff spot (in my eyes). Now, I know Covid has hurt the Marlins somewhat, but if the reports of $52-65 million are true, that seems like it would be a decrease on what the Marlins have previously been offered. It’s bad business, but I would really like the Marlins to get $60 million minimum. I was saying $100 million per season last year, which now I realize was not realistic, even though Dodgers get like twice that, and during Pandemic, I was hoping for $70 ish. But $60 million a season just in tv rights I believe is enough. Marlins still need more sources of revenue though. I wish they could expand their International/Domestic Streaming Rights and like package them with the other Miami teams. 

"There have been some big misses on the business side," such as:

•  They signed a bad TV deal. I mean, not yet, but like, probably. So, yeah, one of the biggest misses of the last 3 years. Once it happens.

And ALSO this small one:

• Firing Chip Bowers after I learned his name.

I mean, sure, they revamped the stadium, dramatically improved the food services, fan experiences, and pricing. And yeah, they INCREASED their attendance while their record got WORSE in 2019, and the ratings are climbing while TV is dying -- but still, Chip Bowers. His name. Was. CHIP. Why would you ever fire someone named "Chip"?!

Big misses. HUGE misses.

RIP Chip Bowers. 🕊️

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Because a team should always be trying to be competitive even if the TV deal isn't of high value. Because why would a team ever not be trying to compete?

I know the truth is they are connected especially for a team like the Marlins but maybe that's what this guy meant?

From a casual fan perspective, it sounds bad for a team owner to say that whether or not they'll compete is dependent on TV rights negotiations. 

I think it's an over-interpretation to it, I think Sherman just means the GOOD TV deal would makes this team MORE competitive and not ONLY the good TV deal would make the team competitive. I would rather to think what he means was he would to spend most of that money to improve the team and that's just what I most cared and want.

• Like 5

Actually, just saw Sherman's full quote and he meant that the new TV deal would be competitive with other team's TV deals. He wasn't talking about being competitive on the field. So that quote was definitely misinterpreted. 

• Like 5
Just now, taiwanmarlin said:

I think it's an over-interpretation to it, I think Sherman just means the GOOD TV deal would makes this team MORE competitive and not ONLY the good TV deal would make the team competitive. I would rather to think what he means was he would to spend most of that money to improve the team and that's just what I most cared and want.

You are correct. The guy in that tweet was overthinking it.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Crap I just remembered that YouTube TV still doesn't have the regional sports networks. Fucking idiots. 

Only streaming service that does is AT&T as far as i know

16 hours ago, Italian Marlins Fan said:

My bad just that he was let go shortly after being hired. I actually really liked the hire at the time and didn’t understand why he was fired. 

Yeah, we'll likely never know, but obviously something wasn't working.  I too liked the hire at the time, but for whatever reason it didn't work out.

13 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Actually, just saw Sherman's full quote and he meant that the new TV deal would be competitive with other team's TV deals. He wasn't talking about being competitive on the field. So that quote was definitely misinterpreted. 

I was going to say I'd like to see the exact quote of Sherman rather than a summation by someone on Twitter to give full judgment on the comment.  Is there video of yesterday's comments posted somewhere?   I wanted to watch yesterday but didn't see it anywhere.  All I could find on MLB's site were two 2 minute snippets one about spring training, and the other about attendance.

Edited by rmc523
16 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

One week and starting the ST games, where's the new TV deal !? just unbelievable, time to PANIC …

Give it 5 more days.

If it gets to next Friday by 6 pm Florida time and no deal, then it’s probably time to start being concerned. 😂

• Like 1