Hank Aaron passes away

I definitely had to stare at this for a moment to process the words. I couldn't believe them.

Great man. Great ballplayer. Endured so much on his chase to surpass Ruth.

May he rest peacefully. He's earned it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure he gets enough credit for what he endured during his HR chase and for being such a pioneer for racial equality coming out of that. Jackie gets so much of the headlines for being first but there are countless other great men after him who still went through hell yet did everything right, the way Jackie did, to continue paving the road that Jackie opened up.

• Like 1
Just now, SilverBullet said:

I'm not sure he gets enough credit for what he endured during his HR chase and for being such a pioneer for racial equality coming out of that. Jackie gets so much of the headlines for being first but there are countless other great men after him who still went through hell yet did everything right, the way Jackie did, to continue paving the road that Jackie opened up.

And then he went on to be one of the greatest ever. Top 5 level greatest ever.

Aaron is one of the biggest names in MLB history and had an impact on the entire game, not just on the teams he played for.

I'd like to see all MLB teams wear a 44 patch this year. At least on Opening Day, if not for the entire season.

• Like 3

Hank Aaron, the only Atlanta Braves player I was ever a fan of..

I’m too young to have watched him play, but old enough to remember a couple of seasons before Barry Bonds broke his record in ‘01 and always hearing and reading about him as the home run king, and my Dad used to tell me about watching his record breaking season in the ‘70s. 

The thing that always stood out to me about him was his longevity and consistency as a player. His first season in the majors was in 1954 and he retired in 1976 and played 140+ games for almost all of those years.

And because of that he was able to get that record without ever hitting 60 Hr a year, (his season high in HR was 47).

One of the few people that can pretty much everyone can agree was a true legendary human being not just in baseball but in life as well.

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 2