Marlins @ Giants --> 4/25

Michael

Just now, Michael said:

We did sign one.

He retired.

That was not a legitimate signing. There were of plenty affordable options in the offseason. They rolled the dice and lost. Hopefully we can weather the storm until sixto and hernandez are back but it was an obvious blunder

1 minute ago, Iowa said:

That was not a legitimate signing. There were of plenty affordable options in the offseason. They rolled the dice and lost. Hopefully we can weather the storm until sixto and hernandez are back but it was an obvious blunder

Yeah, we'll be fine til then.

Huh ... we just have a four man rotation right now, don't we ... how about that.

Just now, Michael said:

Yeah, we'll be fine til then.

Huh ... we just have a four man rotation right now, don't we ... how about that.

Which was expected for the first portion of the season. How you dont think we should have shelled out a few mil on one has baffled me since the offseason but you do you 

Just now, Iowa said:

Which was expected for the first portion of the season. How you dont think we should have shelled out a few mil on one has baffled me since the offseason but you do you 

Injuries weren't expected, but yeah, perhaps we should have tried to sign another.

Not sure why you're coming at me right now.

4 minutes ago, Iowa said:

I disagree.  The problem today is the weather.  They could have easily called up Garrett, started Campbell or Holloway. 

Sixto, Hernandez, and Cabrera are all throwing bullpens already.  We should have all of them available sometime in May.  Our pitching depth is fine barring more injuries.  

I dont want Campbell, detwiler, Garrett, holloway, neidert, castano starting any games this year if we're serious about contending. This young of a staff screamed legitimate veteran 5th starter. Very relieved Rogers is balling outb

Spending 3 mil on alex wood looks pretty smart of san fran so far. Im sure there are multiple other examples this year of pitchers making similar money who would look really good right about now. 

6 minutes ago, Iowa said:

I dont want Campbell, detwiler, Garrett, holloway, neidert, castano starting any games this year if we're serious about contending. This young of a staff screamed legitimate veteran 5th starter. Very relieved Rogers is balling outb

Spending 3 mil on alex wood looks pretty smart of san fran so far. Im sure there are multiple other examples this year of pitchers making similar money who would look really good right about now. 

Absolutely on the second one. It would have helped. With that said, Wood has made just the two starts this year - he started the season injured. And he's literally only faced our struggling lineup. You're not wrong, however, that a veteran starter would have been good to have here.

As for the first point - it comes down to necessity. Contending teams every year have had a few games where they've had to start a guy who probably shouldn't be out there. Injuries happen. Like @Rydawg said, short-term stuff. All three guys that could have been in the rotation to start off are making good progress.

We'll be OK. The lineup is MUCH more concerning right now than a Paul Campbell start.

• Like 1

I do not have a problem with using openers if it’s for the best. It’s strategically better than starting a guy because he’s a “starter.”

Anything that makes us look more like the Rays from a pitching standpoint is fine by me. They should do this more often even when the weather is good. 

Castano is actually a guy who might do better in a bulk role than traditional starting. Even Elieser Hernandez too when he comes back. It might help Neidert too. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Iowa said:

Like Jose Quintana and his 7 ERA?

The Rays had bullpen by committee for a season and when we have one day, it’s because we lack starting depth. 

i'd rather acquire another bp arm moreso than a starter tbh. 

pitching still far less worrisome than offense.  i'll be really disappointed in them if they don't pick up an upper echelon FA this coming offseason to bolster this lineup. they have the starting pitching in place, bullpen is decent/about average t but they're decent enough to win games in conjunction with the starting pitching.  don't waste the young cheap years of the starting pitching with a crap offense. 

• Like 1