Mattingly's option picked up for 2022

SonOfJack

4 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Fuck me... that's not the news I wanted to hear.  Was hoping she was going to say he was retiring at the end of the year.

i'll pass on the initial offer but agree with you on it being news none of us wanted to hear.  Ng....I guess their timeline didn't have them competing next season either?

• Haha 1

Just now, pollythewog said:

lol. Oh well. Hopefully they get better relievers next year to give him less opportunities to fuck up

Hopefully they get no relievers next year, giving him no alternative but to use Bender in the end of games. 

I have been in the #FireDon camp, but I do like him as a person. He is clearly a good player manager and perhaps he can be a stabilizing force on a team that has seen a ton of turnover in the skipper's office. I really hope that he can make it to the World Series for the first time in his career, but I don't really trust him to get the Marlins there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FishFan95 said:

I do like him as a person

Oh absolutely, he seems like a great guy.  And I think he is a good manager in terms of leading a team and being respected by his players. He's not a good in-game manager though and unfortunately that's most of the job.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Oh absolutely, he seems like a great guy.  And I think he is a good manager in terms of leading a team and being respected by his players. He's not a good in-game manager though and unfortunately that's most of the job.

It's one of those things where I like him so much that I would love for him to be the one to finally get us there. It's just hard to see happening the way he's done things this year. The roster would almost have to be Donnie-proof as in so good that not even he could screw it up, but I don't see that happening here. 

• Like 1

I mean there is something nice about stability and rewarding a guy but this shows such a disconnect with what's happening on the field. Donnie is clearly not helping them win games but they don't see that I guess?

I really would love to know what the players think of this. If they were thinking about Donnie being replaced this is not gonna go over well with them. Could create a negative effect. 

Of course if they still love and support him then hey maybe it's the right move and this will rally them to know he's not about to be canned? 

31 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I don't like going year to year with managers. If they aren't confident enough in Don to extend him for multiple years, why bring him back?

Because, as Don has proven, a manager can be a blessing one year and a curse the next, hard to really commit to them for that long.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.