Sandy [Likely] Not Starting ASG

Clayton Kershaw: "Sandy Alcantara, Tony Gonsolin and Max Fried have better numbers than me and they're the ones who deserve to start this game."

He is still accepting the assignment obviously though. Classy comment from Clayton. I actually am happier with him getting it than I would've been with Gonsolin or Fried getting it. Though I do believe Sandy should have gotten it.

• Like 1

Just now, SonOfJack said:

Clayton Kershaw: "Sandy Alcantara, Tony Gonsolin and Max Fried have better numbers than me and they're the ones who deserve to start this game."

He is still accepting the assignment obviously though. Classy comment from Clayton. I actually am happier with him getting it than I would've been with Gonsolin or Fried getting it.

If he said that, then OK. I respect it.

Not even slightly surprised.

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago about how I was expecting that Gonsolin would start, before they announced that Kershaw was selected as an All Star.

But yeah, based on the fact that it’s being played in LA, and at the end of the day, the All Star Game is ultimately a television event, so as usual with tv shows, they are trying to get as many viewers as possible, and having someone with the name recognition as Kershaw start an All Star Game being played in Dodger Stadium, is a much better story than having Sandy or even Gonsolin start the game.

Sandy leads the majors in innings pitched and has the lowest ERA in the NL and second lowest in MLB, he definitely deserved to start. But again, television usually tries to go for “the best story” to draw people in and keep them watching.

7 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Not even slightly surprised.

I posted on here a couple of weeks ago about how I was expecting that Gonsolin would start, before they announced that Kershaw was selected as an All Star.

But yeah, based on the fact that it’s being played in LA, and at the end of the day, the All Star Game is ultimately a television event, so as usual with tv shows, they are trying to get as many viewers as possible, and having someone with the name recognition as Kershaw start an All Star Game being played in Dodger Stadium, is a much better story than having Sandy or even Gonsolin start the game.

Sandy leads the majors in innings pitched and has the lowest ERA in the NL and second lowest in MLB, he definitely deserved to start. But again, television usually tries to go for “the best story” to draw people in and keep them watching.

Gonsolin starting, even though it is in LA, would NOT have been a better story than Sandy's year he's having in comparison to really ALL of MLB. I understand the Kershaw thing because of where the game is being played though as much it sucks for Sandy.

That said, I hope Kershaw gets absolutely shelled.

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

The real fun will begin when Snitker brings in Gonsolin after Kershaw

I wouldn’t be surprised if Max Fried gets slightly more pitching time than Sandy. Although, if that happens, that’s at least understandable being that an All Star Manager should be trying to give his own players more playing time in the ASG, because why not?

I would expect that from Donnie if he was the ASG manager. Although, knowing Donnie, he would probably pinch run for Jazz Chisholm because he remembered that Tuesday night is Jazz’s scheduled day off. 😂

Edited by SirFishFan