Heyman: "Mattingly not planning to retire"

Michael

Despite rumors, sources close to Don Mattingly says he has no intention of retiring. This year is not his fault, as the Marlins just couldn’t hit. Mattingly is perfect for a young team. Last time his contract came up Derek Jeter (now gone) and Kim Ng overruled some others and kept Mattingly.

Full article:

https://nypost.com/2022/08/18/marlins-don-mattingly-isnt-planning-to-retire/

So there were objections of keeping Don within the organization and Jeter/Kim said "too bad" it appears.

Just now, SonOfJack said:

So who did they override if so?

Really makes you wonder. Can't imagine they could override Bruce if he said to get rid of Don.

Must have been people like Denbo. 🤷‍♂️ Hard to say for sure, there's been so much finger-pointing and blame passed along in this organization the last couple of years.

5 hours ago, mk613 said:

This made me laugh so hard out loud. He’s definitely not great for a young team. 

I think that means for a team where winning doesn't matter because Donnie is good at teaching young players how to ride the daily grind of the majors. That's his best quality for sure. It's why he was great in teh covid season.

12 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

So who did they override if so?

Probably no one of name value, probably one of those things where everyone in the meeting said one thing and the 2 morons in charge made the "executive decision" to go the other direction. Probably even the janitors said to dump Donnie.

Donnie doesn't wanna retire but he also said he won't stay here if he's not wanted... so he's saying he'd rather manage elsewhere. He'll leave the Marlins under a "mutual parting" but he will still interview for other spots. Don't think there's any team that he actually fits in with right now though.

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Again, incompetence is a bigger issue than cheapness here. 

Yep we know but there are some that needed to find someone new to blame after Jeter and Denbo were gone so Sherman became 100% responsible at that point. Anyone else as long as Kim Ng remains perfect.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

Yep we know but there are some that needed to find someone new to blame after Jeter and Denbo were gone so Sherman became 100% responsible at that point. Anyone else as long as Kim Ng remains perfect.

It's crazy.

Yes Sherman is above Kim but it's not actually Sherman's job to build the team.

51 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Man....what if she keeps Don for next season too then.....I was 99% certain he was DONe after this season but this drops it to about 90% now.

If she doesn't let Donnie go and doesn't overhaul the roster then we're even more screwed than we thought because that would mean she hasn't even realized that the ship is sinking. It was bad enough not doing anything last offseason but to see how this year has gone and to think it's ok to stay the course would be shocking.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

she hasn't even realized that the ship is sinking.

But she hasn't. She thinks it is just bad luck, injuries, etc. This team will be back for the most part in the same form with some scraps found in free agency to replace those few players who are gone, I am sure of it.

2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

But she hasn't. She thinks it is just bad luck, injuries, etc. This team will be back for the most part in the same form with some scraps found in free agency to replace those few players who are gone, I am sure of it.

I'm of the hope that's her poor way of discussing this to the media and that she actually thinks differently in reality. We shall see. Definitely not holding my breath though. When Mish was pressing her about the Pablo trade I felt like I saw her thinking of things to say, avoiding what she really wanted to say. As Mike Hill showed us, that's a bit of an art and she definitely hasn't mastered it.

16 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm of the hope that's her poor way of discussing this to the media and that she actually thinks differently in reality. We shall see. Definitely not holding my breath though. When Mish was pressing her about the Pablo trade I felt like I saw her thinking of things to say, avoiding what she really wanted to say. As Mike Hill showed us, that's a bit of an art and she definitely hasn't mastered it.

I understand the whole "must maintain PC face at all times and used canned responses" but this is also the same idiot that said she literally didn't try to move anyone at the deadline and got a good sleep. So I honestly think she might believe it really is all bad luck and things will just right themselves by next season.