Housing market

Entendu

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yeah but you eat it on something right? Please don't tell me you eat that stuff straight up with a spoon and nothing else.

Finally, we differ! I'm with @SonOfJackon this one. I won't order extra but I could sit there and happily spoon it up by itself - and mix some in with rice??? Wooooo boy...now you're talkin'!

• Like 1

Not to hijack my own thread, but has anyone noticed that the quality of chili's has gone down from like 10 years ago. Maybe I was just a poor college student back then but every time I go nowadays, it just doesn't taste or feel the same. Even the atmosphere. A lot of trashy drunk people. A year or two ago, I was a second away from getting into a fist fight with some guy who told me to get out of the way *as I was courteously opening the door for him*. I just stared at him and he asked me if we were going to have a problem. I told him idk maybe, are we? And he just walked away triumphantly, like he was going to walk away triumphantly no matter what the outcome. I feel like that wasn't the vibe in 2009-2013 when I would go almost weekly.

This was at the Doral one, near the Walmart

Edited by Entendu
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Entendu said:

Not to hijack my own thread, but has anyone noticed that the quality of chili's has gone down from like 10 years ago. Maybe I was just a poor college student back then but every time I go nowadays, it just doesn't taste or feel the same. Even the atmosphere. A lot of trashy drunk people. A year or two ago, I was a second away from getting into a fist fight with some guy who told me to get out of the way *as I was courteously opening the door for him*. I just stared at him and he asked me if we were going to have a problem. I told him idk maybe, are we? And he just walked away triumphantly, like he was going to walk away triumphantly no matter what the outcome. I feel like that wasn't the vibe in 2009-2013 when I would go almost weekly.

We rarely eat out but my wife and I ate there fairly recently and literally said no matter when we go Chili's is always the same so I'll have to disagree with you on this one Sir.

Edited by hovertical

21 hours ago, Entendu said:

Anybody trying to buy a house in this shit show? I had plans to but have been sitting on the sidelines because I'd feel irresponsible at these prices. Areas that I used to consider within reach are now stretches, and stretches are just laughable pipe dreams

Nah, was thinking about it in a general "soon" sense pre-covid.  But job-wise, covid delayed that, and now it's just not worth even looking.

My cousin in-law was telling me that a dry lot home in Pompano across the street from where I grew up is selling for 850k+.  Ridiculous

2 hours ago, Entendu said:

Nah, it's about the same to me....I went to one a few months ago for the first time in a year or so and it was the same, even though they seem to reorganize the menu every time you go lol.

3 hours ago, Entendu said:

I'm complaining about the food. I think the vibe is still the same. Obviously that one example you gave is the fault of that one dick bag. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm with @Entenduon this one, Chili's now disappoints me every single time time either it might be getting worse. Not sure if it's due to me being young and stupid and only caring about the drinks many years back or maybe I'm just growing up and have pickier tastes. I dunno what it is. 

to be clear, i'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all of places but it literally seems to be about the only place I haven't seen a change in their level of quality going back to the early 90's even.  I'm not saying it's gotten better or that it's gotten worse. It's just what it's always been at least at all the ones we've been to over the years minus that one that had literal roaches climbing on curtains...because...just no.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I'm with @Entenduon this one, Chili's now disappoints me every single time time either it might be getting worse. Not sure if it's due to me being young and stupid and only caring about the drinks many years back or maybe I'm just growing up and have pickier tastes. I dunno what it is. 

you're just forcibly trying to distance yourself from our twinning now!  sad day

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Entendu said:

What chili's do you all go to? The one I go to the most is the one in Doral by the Walmart, but have had a similar experience in the one tucked in a corner by the regal Kendall movie theater on 88th

There were 3 different ones in Tampa I used to frequent and there are also 3 I've been to here in AZ plus a couple in TX I've been to. The one in TX is the last time I ever was asked smoking or non.

The housing market isnt going to crash in  most places, unless by crash you mean fall 10% or less from the peak.

The fundamentals are better than they were in the 2008-2011 area where you had the housing bubble bursting, now if inflation continues to go haywire then all bets are off.

When I got my first mortgage right before said bubble burst, interest rates were where they are now essentially.  People got spoiled with insanely cheap money.  

When my parents bought in the late 70s, interest rates were north of 10%.  

You can say, ya I'll wait, but its really just an excuse end of day for everything.  

Though in Texas what is beyond out of control are the property tax rates, what people wont admit that is just now starting to really be reported, we are paying more in tax than people in California...

Because our property taxes are so fucking out of control.  Which is the greatest factor in the rise in rents.  Most rental units are owned by people with less than 10 doors.  They have raised rents not cause they want to but because they HAVE to thanks to the Property Tax system the Republicans have put before us and now are claiming like OMG we have to fix this!  Damn those Democrats!  LOL

17 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

One thing my local Chilis now has is a stupid robot host.   They have a hostess at the front that then puts the menus and silverware setup on top of this robot and then it obnoxiously slowly wheels over to the table they put you at…..its weird.

17 hours ago, hovertical said:

to be clear, i'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all of places but it literally seems to be about the only place I haven't seen a change in their level of quality going back to the early 90's even.  I'm not saying it's gotten better or that it's gotten worse. It's just what it's always been at least at all the ones we've been to over the years minus that one that had literal roaches climbing on curtains...because...just no.

TGI Fridays around here had roaches….and they all closed unsurprisingly.

Chilis > Fridays

2 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

One thing my local Chilis now has is a stupid robot host.   They have a hostess at the front that then puts the menus and silverware setup on top of this robot and then it obnoxiously slowly wheels over to the table they put you at…..its weird.

WTF lmao, what's the point of that especially with an actual hostess still there? How dumb. I'd rather you tell me the table and I'll grab the silverware and walk over and sit myself.

A lot of people will compare Applebee's to Chili's for some reason but I've literally never been able to eat at a single Applebee's without getting really sick afterward. My wife is the same way and I have another friend who also gets very ill whenever he'd eat at one. It has to be something they cook their food with because it's happened literally every single time no matter which location. Also, their food just flat out tastes like microwaved meals anyway.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

WTF lmao, what's the point of that especially with an actual hostess still there? How dumb. I'd rather you tell me the table and I'll grab the silverware and walk over and sit myself.

Yeah, I was dumbfounded.  Didn't make any sense at all.  Everyone was staring and laughing at the thing "snailing" by (it was SLOW).  My only only thought is that they could have only a single host/hostess instead of 2, which I do see places have often - one that greets and assigns tables, another that actually takes the people.

I also view it as a testbed for them to eliminate waiters/waitresses down the road.

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, I was dumbfounded.  Didn't make any sense at all.  Everyone was staring and laughing at the thing "snailing" by (it was SLOW).  My only only thought is that they could have only a single host/hostess instead of 2, which I do see places have often - one that greets and assigns tables, another that actually takes the people.

I also view it as a testbed for them to eliminate waiters/waitresses down the road.

I Googled it and Chili's says it's not meant to eliminate jobs but to assist the staff when the place is busy, like doing easier tasks while the staff is busy with other things.

Still doesn't seem like something that would work smoothly, quickly, or efficiently and if it ever gets to the point where they do the job well then I think it will still ultimately eliminate jobs because once it gets that good why not use it for more? So it may not eliminate jobs now but it definitely could in the future.

22 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I Googled it and Chili's says it's not meant to eliminate jobs but to assist the staff when the place is busy, like doing easier tasks while the staff is busy with other things.

Still doesn't seem like something that would work smoothly, quickly, or efficiently and if it ever gets to the point where they do the job well then I think it will still ultimately eliminate jobs because once it gets that good why not use it for more? So it may not eliminate jobs now but it definitely could in the future.

Of course they're going to say that....for now.

As you said, once they get better robots, I totally see them switching to that......order on that tablet thing they have, the robot brings it out to you.  I guess we won't have to tip anymore lol.

3 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I guess we won't have to tip anymore lol.

Now that you mention tips, this got me thinking...

There's a lot of debate going on right now about when you should actually tip or not.  It goes without saying that in the last 5 years that places have begun adding a "tip" line on their invoice/receipt for even the smallest of services.  Going back just 10 years or so, you would typically only see an area for a tip to be added on actual sit-down restaurant receipts.  A lot of places just had the old plastic jar out with "Tips" written on it versus automatically printing it on the receipt.

My question to you, kind and generous people of the Marlins board:

Do you always/almost always tip when you see an area for "tip" on a receipt?

Did you previously tip these folks BEFORE there was an area for a tip?

Do you now feel guilted into it and thus you begrudgingly do so now?

Do you feel tipping culture has gotten way out of control or that this is something that should have always been in place?

For me?  I feel like it's absolutely insane now.  I always tipped well when I'd go out to eat but I really struggle to tip if I go and pick up my own pizza for instance.  There was a TikTok video recently of a dude picking up his cookie order from Crumbl and there was literally nobody at the register yet it asked for a tip and he, quite rightly, asked "who is getting the tip?  do you want a tip for just putting a cookie in the box?"

My feelings were always that you tip for jobs where they pay less than minimum wage (i.e. a job that's nearly entirely tip-based) but if you go to a place where that person is already making minimum wage+ then you shouldn't feel as obligated to tip barring something exceptional.  The whole carry-out food guilt tipping drives me insane.  My wife, refuses to tip if she is leaving the house to go get her own food and I don't blame her.  I'm a pushover and experience guilt so I usually end up adding a few bucks.