3/30 Post Game

Admin

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

-Never goes to Marlins games... Goes to one game at LD Park solely with the intention of protesting... Isn't happy with security measures... proclaims that they'll never go to any Marlins games... 

Sounds About Right Amazon GIF by NFL On Prime Video

I wonder how many of those people even knew the WBC was happening. The Cuban team wasn't scheduled to play here until four days before the event. Were all those people going to that game here if it was USA vs Australia as it almost was? Those were people who bought late tickets with the sole purpose of protesting. I'm a descendant of Cuban family who were shot at and jailed by the communist regime there but I went to that game to enjoy a baseball game, not to protest. Yes, loanDepot Park could have handled that situation better but whatever, it's not a big deal. It's also a security issue. They were trying to limit potential for conflicts, in no way does it mean the Marlins support the Cuban government as many have said. People just want it to be a big deal. Those online outbursts lasted a couple of days and it's already passed just like everything else.

Also, the WBC is handled by the WBSC along with MLB and other professional leagues from other countries. It's not a "Marlins event" even though it was held here. While the Marlins are part of it, this thing was absolutely not run by Bruce Sherman, Kim Ng, Caroline O'Connor, Skip Schumaker, Sandy, Jazz, Billy, etc. Don't take this out on the Marlins organization.

What even happened?  I have no idea what you're talking about...

• Like 1

Are the Cubans who are boycotting the Marlins now the same ones who boycotted them in 2012 when Ozzie made those Castro remarks? I bet you they all forgot about that when they ran to loanDepot Park to protest last Sunday.

"I will boycott until the next time I want to be there and then after that I'll boycott again!"

Angry Animal Crossing GIF by Mashed

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

-Never goes to Marlins games... Goes to one game at LD Park solely with the intention of protesting... Isn't happy with security measures... proclaims that they'll never go to any Marlins games... 

Sounds About Right Amazon GIF by NFL On Prime Video

I wonder how many of those people even knew the WBC was happening. The Cuban team wasn't scheduled to play here until four days before the event. Were all those people going to that game here if it was USA vs Australia as it almost was? Those were people who bought late tickets with the sole purpose of protesting. I'm a descendant of Cuban family who were shot at and jailed by the communist regime there but I went to that game to enjoy a baseball game, not to protest. Yes, loanDepot Park could have handled that situation better but whatever, it's not a big deal. It's also a security issue. They were trying to limit potential for conflicts, in no way does it mean the Marlins support the Cuban government as many have said. People just want it to be a big deal. Those online outbursts lasted a couple of days and it's already passed just like everything else.

Also, the WBC is handled by the WBSC along with MLB and other professional leagues from other countries. It's not a "Marlins event" even though it was held here. While the Marlins are part of it, this thing was absolutely not run by Bruce Sherman, Kim Ng, Caroline O'Connor, Skip Schumaker, Sandy, Jazz, Billy, etc. Don't take this out on the Marlins organization.

You very well could be right. I do agree it shouldn't have anything to do with the Marlins but perception is reality in this case, if it really is a significant thing.

But how do you automatically assume those that went to a Cuban WBC game solely to protest don't also attend Marlins games? Just poor Cuban fan attendance in general? I'm quite ignorant to the demographic breakdown of the Marlins attendees. 

Edited by WillyumKeef

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

What even happened?  I have no idea what you're talking about...

The Cuban team advanced to play here so since that team represents the current Cuban dictatorship, a crap ton of Miami Cubans went to the game to use it as a platform to protest against the Cuban government. In an effort to maintain civility and avoid conflicts the loanDepot Park security didn't allow in people who came with shirts and signs that had political messages. This included both sides of the message and so people were upset that they weren't allowed in with shirts and signs that were promoting peace and freedom for the Cuban people. Their argument was basically "if I'm peacefully protesting isn't that within my rights of freedom of speech?" Senator Marco Rubio released videos and a written letter condemning Bruce Sherman and the Marlins for not allowing freedom of speech. Many Cubans are upset about this and taking it out on the Marlins through social media, saying they're not going to games. They've twisted it to say that by not allowing these political statements that the Marlins are in support of the Cuban government.

I was at the game, three people ran on the field in protest (on three separate occasions). I saw one physical fight and numerous verbal altercations between both fans and fans and Cuban players. Security had their hands full. It was embarrassing. 

4 minutes ago, WillyumKeef said:

You very well could be right. I do agree it shouldn't have anything to do with the Marlins but perception is reality in this case, if it really is a significant thing.

But how do you automatically assume those that went to a Cuban WBC game solely to protest don't also attend Marlins games?

I don't know for sure, but its an assumption just based on what I've seen and attendance in general. I'm also thrown off by those who went with the strict intention of protesting. They wouldn't have been there if it was USA vs Australia. They weren't there to watch baseball.

I do agree that perception is reality in short bursts. I don't think it will last long but I won't deny that a few people who were considering going to Opening Day may have changed their minds because of this Cuban thing.

• Like 1

Just now, WillyumKeef said:

You very well could be right. I do agree it shouldn't have anything to do with the Marlins but perception is reality in this case, if it really were a significant thing.

But how do you automatically assume those that went to a Cuban WBC game solely to protest don't also attend Marlins games? Just poor Cuban fan attendance in general? I'm quite ignorant to the demographic breakdown of the Marlins attendance. 

1) Weren't games in the WBC packed to capacity?  Now look at Marlins games, which have ALWAYS had low attendance well before they were in Miami.......what would protesting the Marlins - which have nothing to do with Cuba aside from Cuban players - accomplish?  Are you saying the Cubans here wouldn't know that distinction between the two entities?  One is literally branded CUBA.....

2) Despite Jeter's endless pandering/"all things latin", much of the fanbase is not latin/doesnt live in Miami

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The Cuban team advanced to play here so since that team represents the current Cuban dictatorship, a crap ton of Miami Cubans went to the game to use it as a platform to protest against the Cuban government. In an effort to maintain civility and avoid conflicts the loanDepot Park security didn't allow in people who came with shirts and signs that had political messages. This included both sides of the message and so people were upset that they weren't allowed in with shirts and signs that were promoting peace and freedom for the Cuban people. Their argument was basically "if I'm peacefully protesting isn't that within my rights of freedom of speech?" Senator Marco Rubio released videos and a written letter condemning Bruce Sherman and the Marlins for not allowing freedom of speech. Many Cubans are upset about this and taking it out on the Marlins through social media, saying they're not going to games. They've twisted it to say that by not allowing these political statements that the Marlins are in support of the Cuban government.

I was at the game, three people ran on the field in protest (on three separate occasions). I saw one physical fight and numerous verbal altercations between both fans and fans and Cuban players. Security had their hands full. It was embarrassing. 

Oh I didn't know all that.

See, now that's potentially a case of miscast blame.  The Marlins don't own the stadium, the city does.  And are they in charge of ballpark operations for an event like this, or is the team?

I also doubt Bruce called and said "hey don't let these folks in".

Reality is, they (whoever was in charge) was in a tough spot - don't let anyone in, and it's what we got ("anti free speech," etc).  Let them in, and maybe everyone fights and it's "massive fights break out at the park"

I was at the game - in the upper deck. The lower deck was packing. Probably 75% Mets fans. If they were playing the Twins I'm guessing it would have been closer to 15-20k fans. 

From the stands it looked like our IF defense cost Sandy at least 2 outs on non-routine plays that a really good 2B or SS would have gotten too. Probably cost us the game. 

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Oh I didn't know all that.

See, now that's potentially a case of miscast blame.  The Marlins don't own the stadium, the city does.  And are they in charge of ballpark operations for an event like this, or is the team?

I also doubt Bruce called and said "hey don't let these folks in".

Reality is, they (whoever was in charge) was in a tough spot - don't let anyone in, and it's what we got ("anti free speech," etc).  Let them in, and maybe everyone fights and it's "massive fights break out at the park"

Some of the security and leadership people were Marlins people though as they had Marlins employee shirts, but I'd assume they were given their orders. FWIW, after complaints, the security did give in and allow some people in if they were only wearing shirts and/or didn't have signs with profanity on them. I don't think the directions were clear and it was all mishandled.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

1) Weren't games in the WBC packed to capacity?  Now look at Marlins games, which have ALWAYS had low attendance well before they were in Miami.......what would protesting the Marlins - which have nothing to do with Cuba aside from Cuban players - accomplish?  Are you saying the Cubans here wouldn't know that distinction between the two entities?  One is literally branded CUBA.....

2) Despite Jeter's endless pandering/"all things latin", much of the fanbase is not latin/doesnt live in Miami

Preaching to choir on the actual logic of protesting the Marlins ahead of the WBC, but unless theres a big IG troll movement (not out of the realm of possibility) there are A LOT of illogical people blaming the Marlins for whatever took place.

18 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

I don’t feel like starting a new thread:

Was Puk tipping his pitches? Strikes out Lindor, Lindor starts whispering to Alonso before his AB, then Alonso hits a HR on the first pitch. Suspect.

And then Puk struck out the next guy on three and got McNeil out easily, so who knows.

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Senator Marco Rubio released videos and a written letter condemning Bruce Sherman and the Marlins for not allowing freedom of speech.

The First Amendment protects freedom of speech from being abridged by the government, and sometimes entities that are quasi-governmental. It’s literally impossible for Bruce Sherman have done this. If he did it, it’s his right as a private business. If the city or anyone else did it, then Sherman isn’t the one to blame.

I don’t like Sherman, but he certainly didn’t do anything legally wrong here.

Rubio knows better and appears to be intentionally misrepresenting what the 1st amendment is about to rile up his base. 

Edited by mystikol87
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

The First Amendment protects freedom of speech from being abridged by the government, and sometimes entities that are quasi-governmental. It’s literally impossible for Bruce Sherman have done this. If he did it, it’s his right as a private business. If the city or anyone else did it, then Sherman isn’t the one to blame.

I don’t like Sherman, but he certainly didn’t do anything legally wrong here.

Rubio knows better and appears to be intentionally misrepresenting what the 1st amendment is about to rile up his base. 

💯