Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

mountainfish

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mountainfish

  1. Leave him in another inning please Fredi.
  2. Man, i thought of a genius way to win the all star game.....have all the fans of the NL teams stuff the ballot boxes and vote nonstop for crap AL players. That's brilliant. :thumbup
  3. Cantu looks pretty good at 1B I was thinkin' that too.
  4. Just tuned in. Looks like Miller brought the A game.
  5. In fact, not much progress has been made in the treatment of labral tears in the four years since the article was written. In part for the reasons mentioned. The labrum being an articular cartilage doesn't regenerate and has little blood supply necessary for healing. They can suture it, trim it even staple it but it is never quite the same as it was. While it may be good enough to move and raise your arm without discomfort. More extreme uses, such as pitching, will have a tendency to irritate it. Since alot of labral tears have associated rotator cuff issues those shoulders will have even more instability and hence more friction on the joint surface. Sure there are different degrees of labral tears and there have been examples of people coming back from it but very few pitchers. I'm hopeful for Anibal's return. Lets pray he's one of those few but I share your concern. Does Velocity take a hit? I think it just hurts, so probably velocity is affected. Maybe not if you have to throw it hard once or twice but if you are throwing hard repeatedly it's worse.
  6. Anybody who watches Hanley everyday should understand at best he is adequate, he would be a centerfielder on most other teams.
  7. Disclaimer: A lot if not most MLB players who are very good and hit homeruns showboat. With that out of the way, Hanley is far an away the Marlin's biggest showboater. I love Hanley and he is the best SS in the majors, but his time with Boston is coming out the way hes starting to look like Manny more and more. There's nothing wrong with a little TO and Chad Johnson and I actually like it as long as it doesn't cost the Marlins bases or games. But for you guys to say he doesn't showboat is hilarious. Here is a clip of one of his latest homerun. Watch the FSN replay. http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/player...layer_id=434670 Under Multimedia its the 4th link from the top labeled "Ramirez's two-run homer Watch" Now the best part about the clip isnt Hanley's showboating is Tommy Hutton's excitement and then saying Hanley just "took a look". Thats hilarious considering a month or two ago he bashed Yunel Escobar for basically doing the same thing. Gotta love Tommy. That's it? That's what you call showboating? I think some people are too sensitive. Now if he was doing the moonwalk backwards while blowing kisses to the crowd...then I might be offended.
  8. why give jake the day off wen hes homered in 2 straight? Cause he can't field, his RISP is like .170 and Cole Hamels is a lefty.
  9. Rain Smain. Gas expensive - don't make me laugh. Try living here in England, it rains ALL THE TIME (and it's freezing rain, not the nice kind you get over there) and gas is over $10 a gallon. And there's NO baseball over here (the national sport is SOCCER! :thumbdown ). I feel for you. Whatever, you like basketball. I rather watch curling. Curling kicks ass. Lol. Were are in a recession. That is why attendence is down It would have had to have been up in order to be down.
  10. Rain Smain. Gas expensive - don't make me laugh. Try living here in England, it rains ALL THE TIME (and it's freezing rain, not the nice kind you get over there) and gas is over $10 a gallon. And there's NO baseball over here (the national sport is SOCCER! :thumbdown ). I feel for you. Whatever, you like basketball. I rather watch curling. Curling kicks ass. Lol. Don't laugh. I live very close to the Canadian border. The TV ratings for curling are huge in Canada. :flagcanada
  11. In fact, not much progress has been made in the treatment of labral tears in the four years since the article was written. In part for the reasons mentioned. The labrum being an articular cartilage doesn't regenerate and has little blood supply necessary for healing. They can suture it, trim it even staple it but it is never quite the same as it was. While it may be good enough to move and raise your arm without discomfort. More extreme uses, such as pitching, will have a tendency to irritate it. Since alot of labral tears have associated rotator cuff issues those shoulders will have even more instability and hence more friction on the joint surface. Sure there are different degrees of labral tears and there have been examples of people coming back from it but very few pitchers. I'm hopeful for Anibal's return. Lets pray he's one of those few but I share your concern.
  12. I was hoping that he had really turned his career around after the surgery but I guess not. Maybe if he had had an arm and brain transplant.
  13. They want a human sacrifice. I nominate Mark Hendrickson.
  14. I thnk he wanted to give Griffey a big fat meatball to hit just so he could be famous for something.
  15. The damn article on the Marlins website cursed Hendrickson.
  16. I like him. I like the way he pitches when he's on his game. He's efficient, his slider is nasty and his location is great. He gets a lot of ground balls so his defense better back him up. He knows this and they know this so I can see why he gets pissed when they make errors. I would rather have a competitor on the mound than a quitter. Overall though, he's been better behaved so far this year. We didn't see him get in Cantu's grill after that ugly game the other night so that's progress. He is a natural soft tossing lefty...if he stays in the 85-88 range will hit is spots and frustrate hitters. That is precisely the kind of underrated pitcher that is still in the league in 20 years. I agree totally, he may not be your ace, like he thinks he is, but I would take him as a 3rd or 4th starter any day. I don't like the Burnett comparison only because Burnett was a primadonna in the sense that he was annointed early on to be a dominant major league pitcher and has never quite lived up to it. Olsen sort of scrapped his way up. He dominated in the minors on team's that had alot of good pitchers. He wasn't supposed to stick on the big club but he has and now there are alot of teams that would take him. Alot. But we won't get what we need in return-an effective durable starter. Can he be a jerk? Absolutely. Do I want him dating my daughter? NO! But who cares.
  17. In the same vein, I think Tankersley fell victim to the "specialist reliever" mentality. Here's a guy who was more effective in college as a starter than a reliever, pitches pretty well against right-handed batters but gets pidgeon-holed as a lefty-specialist. Why limit him to facing one or two hitters when the the entire bullpen is racking up innings like crazy? (I hope in Albuquerque he gets some more work than just spot relief.) I think it's a kind of cookbook managing that some teams fall into. They define the roles and then try to get guys to fit into it. The problem is if you don't have the right personnnel its not going to work. So then you have to change what you do. I don't think "roles" are necessarily a bad thing but I think you have to let the players show you what role they are best suited for, rather than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
  18. whoa whoa whoa...slow down there Bill James. How has he been lucky in terms of his HRs? I don't get that one. His K/9 is at slightly below 1 per inning, which is fine for his ARtL, his H/9 iare outstanding as you mentioned and he doesn't walk that many. He has a plus fastball, a plus slider and from what I've heard from many his change up has become an out pitch this year too. I'd love to know why you have such negative expectations simply based on his outstanding numbers?? His HR/Fly is very low As far as his H/9 goes, a lot of his peripherals don't suggest he'd be able to keep it that low over the coarse of a season (not just things like his K/9 but also things like his LD%), and his ERA/WHIP are that low because of his H/9. Not that he'd be bad, I don't have "negative" expectations, I just don't have as high as others. And I haven't seen anything that says his slider is now a plus pitch. At best it's regarding as still "developing." But since I haven't seen him, I can't really say. This baseballamerica guy said (June 3rd) the slider has improved but he still has doubts about it. http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...008/266258.html Q: lantz from ca asks: do you think ryan tucker has the stuff to crack the marlins rotation or is he destined to be a bull pen guy? A: Ben Badler: I wouldn't send him out there this year. His fastball is a great pitch but he still needs to command it better. His slider seems to have made progress over the three or fours starts I've seen him pitch, although that could just be the time-series of the starts fooling me into think it was true improvement. I think his stuff would play up in the bullpen, but obviously you leave him as a starter now for his development. The real stud on that staff is Chris Volstad?one of the heaviest sinkers in the minors and two out pitches in his curveball and changeup. I say this alot but i'll say it again. If he can locate his pitches it doesn't matter if his slider is not great, However the above comments and his BB/9 would indicate that he needs to work on his location. So I'm not going to get too high just yet.
  19. Why is Jacobs brought up in this topic? I think Jacobs has gotten a lot better defensively this season. I mean sure, he makes some mistakes but he has improved. Helms error was a bad error, and so was Cantu's. So if you're going to blame one, you can't ignore the other. It isn't ok to make an error just because a guy made one right before you. Heck, I think it's worse to make an error after another teammate has just made an error. Everyone makes errors and on the whole Helms has been dependable on defense. Cantu was never a very good defensive second baseman and now he's playing a position he really didn't play before this year. At least Cantu is a reliable hitter who can make contact or hit for power. Jacobs has not gotten appreciably better defensively, in fact his fielding percentage and RZR are lower than last year. What he is is an undisciplined muscle hitter who can't hit lefties, can't hit to the opposite field and is batting .176 with RISP. That is why Jacobs was brought up in this topic.
  20. How was Scotty's velocity the 1st innning?
  21. Hey, this is AJ Burnett... *mutes* MLB.tv. Argh. That is SOOOOO annoying!
  22. Bet Jones gets released after this.
  23. Bring back the cornrows.
  24. Magglio can barely say"mlb.com"
  25. MORE COWBELL!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.