Everything posted by pach233
-
Interesting bits from Jack
I'd just like to point out that .woba is probably the best way to determine how good a hitter is with wrc+ probably considered the 2nd best. I mean this among the all encompassing sabermetric stats which attempt to give a singular value to a hitter's skill. I personally use OPS only if .woba is not easily found. RBIs are a terrible way to measure hitter. Sure if someone has 120 RBI in a season they probably aren't terrible and if they had 20RBI they probably aren't great. Thats about as much a conclusion you can make about a player by looking at RBI.
-
Anibal Sanchez
The front office has an interesting situation ahead of them. I'd say that currently our core is made up of 7 players: Hanley, LoMo, Gaby, Stanton, JJ, Ricky and Anibal. Of those 7, 3 of them are signed to contracts buying out FA years. The decision is what to do with the other 4. You can say that this decision is a long way away. But every HR Stanton hits makes it more difficult/ expensive to sign him long term later on. Signing future stars early on leads to incredible savings. The best examples of this are the Longoria and Braun(1st contract) contracts. It's going to be interesting to see what decisions are made in the next couple of months and how they affect the future of the team in the next 3-5 years.
-
How many games do you attend a season?
I normally average about 10 games a year. Although this year and next year will be tough as I'm moving to North Carolina also in August. By the way nice to see so many marlins dans in NC, glad I won't be the only one. And on the NC State/Duke comments. I'm going to be living in Chapel Hill and attending Duke so I'm sure Mystikol can see how that may be a problem lol.
-
4/25 POST GAME!
Need to go better than 7-33 to avoid that 20-40 start! In all seriousness a great game which I thought was lost for sure. Hopefully this is the beginning of good things from Hanley. The approach he took in the 9th is exactly what usually gets him out of slumps. Impressed with how much Boni has improved at the plate since 09 although his LF play has been questionable. Cogs back to 09 form? Great win and needed with Volstad going up against Kershaw tomorrow.
-
Should the Marlins pick up Jose Guillen?
Horrible contract, for basically a Dh who would probably be worth negative wins in the NL.
-
Is MLB tv worth the cash?
Even without the PS3 app, a simple S-video to VGA connectio allows me to watch the games on my TV. If you have a good internet connection then you can watch it in HD quality on your bigscreen. For me its absolutely worth it and I live in Marlins territory so I can't even watch the fish through it, I just watch everybody else.
-
Is MLB tv worth the cash?
*double post
-
Daily Farm Report July 25-31
Maybe its time for both West and Ceda to come up. I can think of a couple of guys who we can send down to make room for them
- 7/27 - Marlins @ Giants
-
Fire Brandon Hyde!
Agreed with what you said above about the business of baseball and I understand abouthe saves and arbitration but the manager needs to also do his job and put his team in the best position to win. That clearly was to bring in Nunez and it wasn't done today. Erick, while I may not post often, I read these forums enough to have read you write about how most anyone can do the manager's job. Today was one of those games were almost anybody on this board could have done a better job than the one that was done. I think you misunderstood about Sanchez. I meant Anibal should have been left another inning not Brian. I agree with what you said about the use of Brian Sanches and that the game would've been won if Veras and Hensley would have been available
-
Fire Brandon Hyde!
While I like the idea, no manager in the big leagues uses their closer for 2 full innings anymore. It's just what managers do. Also, mistake 1 wasn't a mistake. He brought in the LOOGY to face Heyward who got a crap hit...Chipper Jones should've been a double play, but Cantu f***ed it up. And McCann's a p***y for what he did. I don't even know how that was allowed; he leaned into the pitch. Something that hasn't been brought up...the Marlins normally bring in Helms to play 3B in the late innings, for defense. With a 3 run lead tonight needing 6 outs for a W, I'm not sure why that wasn't done. Except I'm not even suggesting for him to pitch the full 2 innings. Have him get out of the 8th and then use someone else to come in with the bases empty in the 9th. Yeah it might not work but at least you give yourself a chance to win with your best pieces. As it was you get blown out and never bring in your best relief pitcher. And about mistake 1, the mistake wasn't so much bringing in Tank as it was taking out Sanchez knowing how beat up our bullpen was. You let him come out in the 7th and if he scuffles then you take him out. His place in the batting order came up with nobody on and 2 out IIRC so you're essentially wasting a pinch hitter by removing him there.
-
Fire Brandon Hyde!
The definition of insanity is to repeat the same action and expect a different result... Mistake 1: Bring in Tankersely against the same part of the order he miserably failed against yesterday. This is a less egregious mistake but a mistake nonetheless and could have been avoided by letting Sanchez (Anibal) pitch the 7th and Sanches (Brian) pitch the 8th. Mistake 2: Who's the best pitcher in marlins bullpen? Who do you most want pitching with the bases loaded and no out? The situation is screaming for Nunez and yet you bring in the 21 year old rookie (who is being ruined btw) for his 4th ever appearance after he already failed in a similar situation on Monday. God forbid Nunez pitch in an inning other than the 9th. Mistake 3: 3 runs are in, the bases are loaded and still nobody out. Bring Nunez in and try to keep the game f***** tied! Nope, let's bring in Badenhop and forfeit. At the point when Hyde went and got Marinez is the same point when Beinfest, Hill or whoever needed to, should've come in and fired him for single handedly giving the game away. In addition any other coach who didn't suggest bringing in Nunez should have also been fired on the spot. The blame for this game goes towards the antiquated philosophy of only bringing in your closer in the 9th. They "saved" Nunez for so long that by the time it was the "right time" to use him they were down by 5 runs. Fire everybody for being antiquated and backwards and for essentially forfeiting tonight's game. P.S. If Jorge Cantu is still on the team by the end of next week Beinfest and Hill should be fired to. P.P.S. F*** This!
-
4/28 - Padres at Marlins - 12:10 PM
Just wondering why Robertson and not Nolasco today? Nolasco threw over 100 pitches, Robertson threw around 80 so Fredi chose him for the short rest start. OK that makes sense. This probably doesn't play a part but Washington's lineup is tougher than San Diego's so I thin I'd rather have Ricky facing them anyway.
-
4/28 - Padres at Marlins - 12:10 PM
Just wondering why Robertson and not Nolasco today?
-
4/27 Game, no TV again?
Why? Why the Rays again instead of the fish. That's 4 games in the last two weeks. I get that Sun has the heat but why do they then move the Rays to FSFlorida. Tonight I'll have two options to watch the Heat, two to watch the Rays(mlb.tv) and 0 to watch the Marlins again!
-
St, Claire's 1st fix
No sorry, I meant to say that he had a nice outing and hopefully it had something to do with him not tpping his pitches and that it would continue. I definetely am not jumping to conclusions but am hopeful that this will be helpful for Nunez.
-
St, Claire's 1st fix
Plenty here have been skeptical about the hiring of Randy St. Claire, myself included. Apparently he has already made a difference in Leo Nunez. Nunez was having a terrible spring but had a nice outing today tossing two scoreless after St. Claire noticed he was tipping pitches. Here's the article I'm referencing. http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/03/is_leo_tipping_his_pitches.html
-
30/30 Florida Marlins
Yeah some low payroll/attendance things as well as the tone that some things were said. Don't get me wrong John Hart is very knowledgeable and it showed in the program but I, (and maybe I'm a bit more sensitive), definetely sensed some "disrespect/mockery" at times. Comments like "overachieving team", don't roll your eyes when the Marlins expect to win 90 games" and "its funny how they think they should really be in the postseason" or something to that effect.
-
30/30 Florida Marlins
Just wondering if any of you guys saw the 30/30 Marlins edition on MLB Network today. Personally, I thought they took a couple of unnecessary jabs at organization but overall were pretty accurate in their assesment of the team. What did you guys think?
-
Spring Training 3/4 - 3/7 Games
Any way for us to see it!? The story about Stanton's shot on Marlins.com has the SNY highlight of his. Not sure about Boni. Both Boni's ad Stanton's were on MLB tonight.
-
Spring Training 10k
Damn, I actually think I'd probably have a good shot at winning this thing outright, but I'll be at the auto races in Homestead on Saturday. Would have been a fun time =/.
-
Cuban MLBers game at FIU
So does anyone know any more? I was planning on going with my dad but I guess I probably won't head out unless I hear something more in the morning.
-
Cuban MLBers game at FIU
Mods feel free to move this but as this is the most viewed forum I figured this would be a good place to put this. http://www.beisbolusa.com/estrellas-cubanas-juegan-miami/ Beisbol cubano en Miami Publicado Enero 21, 2010 Pertenece a Cubanos en MLB, Grandes Ligas | Dejar un comentario Algo sin presedente este fin de semana, gala del béisbol cubano en Miami. Lo mejor de lo mejor de Cuba en béisbol va a jugar un partido para recaudar fondos para HaÃti, el 24 de Enero sobre las 10 AM y este tendrá lugar en el terreno de la Universidad Internacional de la Florida, o como es conocida por todos, la FIU, con entradas entre $6 y $8, lo que lo hace más espectacular aún. Una constelación de peloteros cubanos que brillan actulamente en el Beisbol de USA, y también lo hicieron en su momento en la Isla. Este definido como la segunda edición del Juego del Reencuentro, con el mayor objetivo de reacudar fondos para HaÃti. Los organizadores de este histórico partido anunciaron la presencia de cerca de 78 peloteros, entre ellos varios las mejores figuras que están actualmente en Grandes Ligas, como Kendry Morales (Angelinos), Yunel Escobar (Bravos), Yunieski Betancourt y Bryan Peña (Reales), Liván Hernández (Nacionales), Alexei RamÃrez y Dayán Viciedo (Medias Blancas), el último más reciente contrato de la MLB, el pitcher Aroldis Chapman (Rojos) de solo 21 años, entre otros. Destinados para abrir por los dos equipos, José Ariel Contreras (Cuba Rojo) y Orlando “El Duqueâ€� Hernández (Cuba Azul). A lo que se llama desde ahora “Duelo de Titanesâ€�. En el terreno de juego también estarán los árbitros cubanos Nelson DÃaz recién llegado, Iván Davis, Juan RodrÃguez, Orlando Valdés, Santiago Cavana, Lázaro RamÃrez y Roberto Clemente imponiendo el orden. Otras grandes estrellas que jugaron tanto en Estados Unidos o en Cuba y estarán en este clásico que estoy seguro pasará a á historia son: Rey Ordóñez, Rolando Arrojo, Maels RodrÃguez, Osvaldo Fernández, Pedro Luis RodrÃguez, Vladimir Núñez, Andy Morales, Eduardo Oropeza, Euclides Rojas y René Arocha. Los managers de los equipos serán dirijidos por Orlando Chinea y Angel Leocadio DÃaz, Rojo y Azul respectivamente. Adrián López será el anotador oficial, Alberto Aguila y Omar Claro los locutores locales, y para cerrar con broche de oro, el partido será presentado por los periodistas Luis “Yikyâ€� Quintana y Armando Fernández Lima. Basically, on Sunday at 10 A.M. there will be an exhibition game featuring the above named players at FIU to raise money for the victims in Haiti. Tickets will go between 6-8$. This is the only article I've seen on this so if anyone else has more information I'd love to see it confirmed somwehere else.
-
I'm Trading JJ
1/10 (troll meter), too obvious, you tried to disguise it hence why not a 0/10 but next time try a little harder.
-
Sept. 27 - Mets ^ Marlins
Did I miss something? Why has Nick Johnson been out of the lineup so often lately?