Everything posted by fauowls44
-
Jeter fires Berger, McAvoy, DelPiano and Benedict
I guess they may as well get some use out of Samson since they have to pay him $5 million next year anyway...
-
Sale is done; votes are in
Exactly. Everyone seems to have has this impression of the this group when they haven't said a single word yet about anything. In the next few days, they'll have a press conference and I'm sure they will lay out their vision of the team. May as well at least hear them out before deciding they are the second coming of Jeffrey Loria.
-
Sale is done; votes are in
These guys aren’t buying the team to use it as a bank. Not at $1.2 billion. Loria could because he paid basically nothing for it and knew he had a huge payday when he sold. At this price, these guys better be able to make the team successful to make money on the deal.
-
Sale is done; votes are in
You people are way to negative. This group has yet to even say one word publicly and you’re burying them. There will be tough decisions to make since they are inheriting a mess, but Loria being gone is a huge positive for this franchise. I also believe that Jeter would not be involved in something that will tarnish his image in the game. Give this some time and I think he will get this right. Lots of work ahead though. This is a good day.
-
Sherman-Jeter ownership close to being approved
The bar is pretty low to be better than Loria. The Marlins are currently the worst run team in sports, so simply not being a dumpster fire would a huge improvement. Better than Loria would include: 1.Hiring good people and letting them do their job. 2. Having a strategy about how to operate the team and sticking to it. 3. Not being complete jerks to fans and media.
-
Sherman-Jeter ownership close to being approved
I have to believe that baseball would not approve another Loria situation. Also, I don't think Jeter is going to risk his reputation by getting involved with a group that would operate the team poorly. I understand why everyone is nervous, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Loria being going gives this team a chance...let's see what they do with it.
-
Signing petition to Manfred
A) I have no idea who Crane fired when he took over. I'm just saying that a new owner probably wouldn't keep the former owners "special assistants". Would I prefer that Jeter keep Conine and McKeon in some capacity? Sure. But I do get not wanting to keep people with long ties to the last owner around. B) Just saying that you think they have financial problems doesn't make it so. This group is apparently going to close a $1.2 billion dollar purchase, so I'm not sure I would classify them as having "financial problems". I do think that the team's books are a mess though. We've seen how Loria ran the baseball operations. I doubt the business side is any better run. Again, maybe I am wrong, but I find it tough to believe that Manfred and MLB would approve a group without knowing that they have the resources to properly run it. It would be really dumb for them to get themselves into another Loria situation and I don't think Manfred is a dumb person. Time will tell, but I'm willing to hear this group out before deciding that they aren't fit to own the team.
-
Signing petition to Manfred
A) The franchise staples were special assistants to the former owner and president. I hate seeing Conine or McKeon go too, but it’s fairly common for new owners to replace those positions. B) Do we know that this group has financial issues? I have to think Manfred is not going to allow someone to buy the team without making sure they have the proper resources to run it...especially after Loria and the Dodgers ownership fiasco. The difference with the Astros is that this group is inheriting what most describe as a financial (and organizational) mess. My guess is, like the Astros, their plan is to lower payroll initially, spend on the draft/international free agents and then ramp up the MLB payroll when the organization is fixed. Pouring more money into this current roster isn’t necessarily the best plan. The biggest issue right now is that they haven’t said anything. I’m sure that’s because they haven’t bought the team yet. Maybe you are right and they are terrible, but I’m willing to at least give them the chance first. I have a hard time believing someone like Jeter is going to get involved with something that would ruin his reputation.
-
Signing petition to Manfred
We could at least let them have a press conference first before declaring this group a failure. I’d like to hear their plans for the franchise. Loria is leaving a huge mess to clean up...it’s not going to be an easy process. I imagine many were saying the same types of things when the Astros new ownership came in and cleaned house.
-
Jeter Fires Conine McKeon Dawson & Perez
It's some bad PR, but the role of those 4 guys are special assistant to either the owner or president...both of which are about to be gone, so it's not exactly shocking that the new ownership would want to bring in their own people. This entire organization needs a complete overhaul.
-
Jeter/Sherman still short by 150 million
This Forbes writer hasn't exactly had the best track record on this story, so who knows. In the past, MLB has said they have the money, so I guess we will soon find out who's right.
-
Loria agrees to sell Miami Marlins to Sherman and Jeter.
It likely is anyway. The league was pretty involved in the process, so I can't imagine that the bid gets to this point without being acceptable to the league. Also I can't see the league embarrassing Jeter by rejecting his bid now that he's got it this far.
-
Loria agrees to sell Miami Marlins to Sherman and Jeter.
Besides being the right move, I imagine all other owners wanted to hear this as part of the bid. The franchise needs a clean break from the current regime.
-
Loria agrees to sell Miami Marlins to Sherman and Jeter.
Samson pretty strongly denied those reports, yet they keep popping up with every story. So is every reporter following this story wrong? I think MLB would love Mas involved, so it'll be interesting to see if it eventually happens.
-
Loria agrees to sell Miami Marlins to Sherman and Jeter.
Fox Business report featuring the first public comments from MLB commissioner Rob Manfred about the sale. According to Manfred, all financials have been submitted and the sale will now go under review: http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/08/15/derek-jeters-1-2b-miami-marlins-bid-headed-to-mlb-for-ok.html
-
Loria agrees to sell Miami Marlins to Sherman and Jeter.
Nobody is going to put that high a percentage of their wealth into this team.
-
Loria agrees to sell Miami Marlins to Sherman and Jeter.
I wouldn't assume that the Sherman net worth number from the Internet is correct. If you google it, it says his net worth is $500 million. He's reportedly investing upwards of $400 million in the team...so I doubt he's investing the majority of his wealth into the team. If he's putting in that much, he must be a billionaire.
-
Marlins Sale Rumors
Stewart and Leiter also are no longer in the Rothbaum group. https://www.fanragsports.com/news/murray-stewart-leiter-rothbaum-bush-group/
-
Marlins Sale Rumors
No, but Manfred has been involved in this sale process...and he's been quoted about it numerous times now. I doubt Manfred wants to be associated with a failed sale when he's on record that it'll happen.
-
Marlins Sale Rumors
Which is likely the main holdup here. Loria/Samson have been trying to give Jeter time to fund his bid, but are pissing off all the other viable bidders in the process. I'd like to think MLB will step in at some point to move this process forward, but apparently so far they aren't willing to. Maybe Mas threatening to drop out prompts action.
-
Marlins Sale Rumors
These ups and downs are all part of the negotiation. I'd only really be concerned if any of the groups ACTUALLY drops out. All you hear now is "So and so MAY drop out, but remains involved in talks". I mean, the longer this has gone on, the more the price has dropped, so I can't really blame the bidders. It is annoying how long this is dragging out though. At some point MLB is going to have to force the issue here and convince Loria to make a decision. If they are waiting on Jeter to come up with money, it's time to set a drop dead date.
-
Hech traded to Rays
From Baseball Prospectus after a May start: Ethan Clark, RHP, Tampa Bay Rays (Low-A, Bowling Green): 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K Drafted in the 15th round out of the JUCO ranks in 2015, Clark was looked at as a lottery ticket. He has ideal size (6-foot-5, 235 pounds), a big fastball (up to 96), and athleticism. While his feel for spin isn’t the best, things could be worse.
-
Marlins Trade Rumors
Good...That's the way it should be.
-
Marlins Sale Rumors
Marcus Lemonis, who owns Camping World and best known for CNBC's "The Profit" is now part of the Bush/Rothbaum/Romney group. He's also from Miami...so it's good to have groups with local ties involved. He tweeted today that he's "in it to win it". Hopefully between this and Mas now entering the fray, we get a conclusion soon.
-
6/14 Post Game
You have to think Moore stays on the team as primary RH bat on the bench and Riddle continues to start even when Hech returns. Bour, Prado, and Hech replace Colon, Telis, and, I guess Steckenrider? Ideally, Hech gets moved for anything they can get.