Everything posted by fauowls44
-
Miami Dolphins Pre-Season Thread
No, Beck has been told he will play the first and third quarters with Henne going the second and fourth quarters. The decision not to play McCown was made before Pennington was even signed, which is interesting. I dont get that. The Dolphins said McCown may be the regular season stater, but they dont play him in the pre-season opener? :confused I guess you missed the news that Chad Pennington has signed?
-
Chad Pennington agrees to contract with Dolphins
I think we might have given him a little too much money, but I like this move. Why are people concerned about money? The Fins are like $15 million or more under the salary cap. His salary will have zero impact on anything else they want to do. UPDATE: The deal is actually only $7.5-8 million. The rest are incentives...most highly unlikely(like the Fins making the Super Bowl)... http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in...penningt-1.html
-
HEAT Offseason Thread
Jason Williams never lived up to his full potential as a member of the heat, i'm glad he's gone, I would like to see Mario Chalmers start just to see if he is the real deal JWill when healthy was a very good PG for the Heat. We won a championship with him starting at PG which happened to be the only year he was truly healthy for the Heat. Agreed. When he was healthy(2006) he was a very effective player for the Heat. The problem is that the knee issues never go away with him. Not sure if he can't or just won't play through the pain, but he was the perfect fit in 2006. Glad he's not coming back though.
-
Chad Pennington agrees to contract with Dolphins
2 years? Not a good move but what can you expect from a team that went 1-15 and hasn't done sh*t in nearly a decade? :banghead Who cares how long the contract is? You do realize that NFL contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on. He can be cut at any time. Besides, he'll likely be a backup next season if he is still around anyway. At first I was against signing Pennington, but i've changed my mind. He is better than McCown and his experience can only help Henne. Sure, he doesn't have a great arm, but with our WRs, i'm not sure that matters much. As long as he can get them the ball accurately, he'll be an upgrade. Also, everyone says he's a good locker room guy, so that can't hurt. The bottom line is the Fins are better off at the QB position then they were yesterday, so I don't see how anyone can complain about this. So long as this doesn't prevent Henne from getting playing time at some point this year, i'm all for it.
-
HEAT Offseason Thread
The HEAT have signed former Nuggets G/F Yakhouba Diawara to a 2 year deal for the remiander of their MLE (about $800K). He's known as a good defender, but the more interesting story here is what this means for the rest of the roster. They have a surplus of perimeter players in Marion, James Jones, Wright, Diawara, Sephane Lasme, and the recently claimed Bobby Jones. It appears as though Marion will at least start the year in Miami, so I would have to say that this move doesn't bode well for Dorrell Wright. He and Diawara play pretty similar styles, except Diawara does it for over a million dollars less. I wonder if there is any trade market for Wright at this point.
-
Marlins @ Phillies 8/7 1:05 PM
Why is Hammer still batting cleanup??
-
Marlins need to make these moves
I heard Skipworth is coming up next week too Can he hit a fly ball with 1 out and a runner on 3rd base? If he can, being him up! :thumbup
-
Marlins need to make these moves
The Marlins have got to promote both Gaby Sanchez and Logan Morrison. I think Morrison is now rotting away in high a ball. In his last 10 games he is hitting ove 500 and now is hitting over 350 overall. That is unheard of. Gaby Sanchez is on fire as well and he been consistent the whole year and all of the important stats on his minor league page, he is hitting over 300. The kid is not a strikeout guy and should be promoted to the majors asap, just to see what hes got. Mark Hendrickson, as sorry as i am to say it, should f*** off, lol. Bringing a 19 year old up to the majors from high A ball in the middle of a playoff race...Not to mention starting his arbitration clock 2 years before he's ready to play here...no thanks.
-
Marlins DID back out of Manny deal
Actually, Stanton is up to 28....he hit one tonight. What is Stanton's age? If only there was someplace one could find this information...oh wait, there is...the Internet! Just kidding....but seriously, you are online already...how hard is it to find that he is going to be 19 in November? It took me all of 10 seconds. I am on my iphone, and its much harder to go from website to website----it is easier to stay on one.. OK...you are forgiven! :lol
-
Marlins DID back out of Manny deal
Actually, Stanton is up to 28....he hit one tonight. What is Stanton's age? If only there was someplace one could find this information...oh wait, there is...the Internet! Just kidding....but seriously, you are online already...how hard is it to find that he is going to be 19 in November? It took me all of 10 seconds.
-
Water found on Mars
Maybe Sampson can bid for a stadium up there? hahaha i bet you thered be a lawsuit there to Norman Braman: "Wait a minute, I can maybe put a dealership there......Does Mars look like slum or blight to you?? Whaaaaaa. I'm old."
-
Which Washed Up Catcher Will We Wind Up With.
Where have you gone Bob Natal? I'd also take Ron Tingley ahead of Paul Hoover.
-
Did the Marlins fall flat on their face?
Listening to Beinfest on Marlins on Deck seems like they're not planning on getting a catcher. That's what you heard? I was watching and it sounded to me like he said the complete opposite and that they would continue to try and upgrade.
-
Did the Marlins fall flat on their face?
Gammons said the Pirates in the end didnt like what the Marlins were offering, namely Hermida, Coughlan, and Tank. Never heard those names before. Dont think they ended up with a better than package than that. Makes you wonder how much of what the "sources" say is accurate. I've heard 100 conflicting things. Some say that Pirates pulled out, some say that Boston pulled out. I have no idea, but of course the sources that we are following are the most negative ones. I highly doubt the $2 million was the reason that the trade fell through. Perhaps the Marlins were asked to up the quality of prospect(s) they were giving up and in return they asked for the money and when Boston refused, Pittsburgh pulled out because they didn't like the package. Who knows, but I find it hard to believe it was strictly about the money. Loria has shown he's willing to spend when they are close, and i'm sure that would have been the case for Manny. Just from following this throughout the day, to me, it looked like the Pirates were the biggest reason this fell apart. It seemed like they pulled out when they thought they had Bay traded to Tampa. Then that fell through. Meanwhile, the Red Sox were talking to LA about Manny, so when the Pirates came back at the last second, they were included in that deal and we were left out. Regardless, we'll move on and we'll be fine. It would have been nice, but it wasn't to be.
-
Did the Marlins fall flat on their face?
While getting Manny would have been great, the bottom line is that he was a luxury, not a need. I'm more disappointed in not getting a catcher then not getting Manny. I suppose that the price for catchers was probably too high. Laird is a nice player, but not worth the reported asking price of one of the Marlins starting pitchers. It may be easier to make amove before the waiver deadline. I'm sure we could probably get Lo Duca or Zaun by August 31st if Baker doesn't start hitting and Treanor isn't healthy.
-
Manny in Florida?
Skip bayless of 1st and ten on espn just said it would take a Hanley Ramirez like player for the Red Sox to pull the trigger and let Manny Go. We'll see if he is right soon enough. Either way, he's gone in 09 from whatever team he finishes the year up on. Proving once again that Skip Bayless is an idiot.
-
Manny in Florida?
Skip bayless of 1st and ten on espn just said it would take a Hanley Ramirez like player for the Red Sox to pull the trigger and let Manny Go. We'll see if he is right soon enough. Either way, he's gone in 09 from whatever team he finishes the year up on. Proving once again that Skip Bayless is an idiot.
-
Manny in Florida?
If they Trade hermida for a 2 month rental, i'll lose my hat driving to dolphin stadium to smack beinfest. Hermida can still develop into the ML player we all think he will be. Allison, Bah- lets get him home so he can continue to fix his life for the better around friends and family At first glance I wasn't crazy about the idea of trading Hermida for Manny...BUT with a lot of players being arbitration eligible after the season, i'm guessing one of either Willingham or Hermida will be moved at some point. Ramirez certainly would be a huge offenisve upgrade. Without any other moves, you'd still have Hammer, Maybin, and Ross in the OF next season, plus the draft pick compensation for Manny. I doubt it happens, but it is something I would definately at least have to consider.
-
Manny in Florida?
If they Trade hermida for a 2 month rental, i'll lose my hat driving to dolphin stadium to smack beinfest. Hermida can still develop into the ML player we all think he will be. Allison, Bah- lets get him home so he can continue to fix his life for the better around friends and family At first glance I wasn't crazy about the idea of trading Hermida for Manny...BUT with a lot of players being arbitration eligible after the season, i'm guessing one of either Willingham or Hermida will be moved at some point. Ramirez certainly would be a huge offenisve upgrade. Without any other moves, you'd still have Hammer, Maybin, and Ross in the OF next season, plus the draft pick compensation for Manny. I doubt it happens, but it is something I would definately at least have to consider.
-
Sid Rosenberg on 790AM is a Whiner
Who cares what Sid Rosenberg has to say? Come to think of it, why should anyone care what Tommy Hutton said? It had zero effect on what happened on the field.....besides, it's a Marlins broadcast. If you want to hear pro-NY sentiment, listen to the Mets announcers.
-
7/28 Post Game Thread
Everything came together for us tonight. Great to see everyone contribute. I love Cody Ross in center and Baker behind the plate. No moves needed there for the trade deadline. You have got to be kidding me. The guy hits a dinger and tosses out a runner and he is back to god-like status???? Check his numbers. Catcher is the weakest link on this team. There is a reason he was the last resort to be called up. He shows it every time he dons the gear. I like John Baker. I like his power and I like that he bats left-handed. I also think he is not completely terrible defensively....but he's not starting catcher material, especially on a team contending for a divison title. It looks like Beinfest agrees since based on all the reports out there, he's out there looking for a catcher.
-
RVH to AAA
Enough is enough, the next time he comes up, he has to have everyhting worked out. He is running out of options. That isn't how options work. I think options are counted on a yearly basis, not on a per trip to minors basis.
-
Ft. Lauderdale Swap Shop
Has anyone ever been to the Lauderdale Swap Show and Circus. How is it? Are there people there that sell baseball cards? I haven't been to the Swap Shop in years, but I'm sure it is still one of the saddest places on earth...but they probably do have people selling baseball cards there.
-
Fredi Gonzalez
The impact of a manager is very overrated. If you think any one manager is worth more than a handful of games a season, you are crazy.
-
Trade Rumors
This is hilarious... Bay: The Pirates are asking for four players back -- two sure-thing young players, one good prospect and a fourth prospect with upside. Nady: A similar package, except they want three players instead of four -- one sure thing, one good prospect and a third, more iffy, prospect. Marte: The Pirates seem confident he'll be a Type A free agent, so they're telling teams they need to do better than the first-round pick and sandwich pick they'd get if he walks. Grabow: Because Grabow can't be a free agent until after next season, the Pirates are looking for a similar package on him as they're asking on Marte. Wilson: One rumor -- heavily denied -- is that they asked the Dodgers for Matt Kemp and/or Chad Billingsley for Wilson. But everyone agrees they want two or three players, depending on who they are, all of whom have to be big-league ready. The Pirates are free to ask for whatever they want, obviously. But many teams find it tough to stomach the rationale behind placing that kind of price sticker on somebody like Marte. "It may be true that Marte will wind up being a Type A," says an official of one club. "But isn't it possible that because he's a Type A, no one is going to want to sign him? Is a team really going to want to give up a first-round pick for Damaso Marte? I think that answer may be no. So I don't know if it's as reasonable to ask what they're asking for him as they think it is." At this point I rather not make any deals. The closer you get to the deadline, the price will fall. I don't blame the Pirates for asking for the moon right now, afterall it only takes one sucker to pull the trigger and make a stupid trade. I'm guessing they'll start being more reasonable next week.