Everything posted by fauowls44
-
Marlins accept OB site
What I understand will happen is one of two scenarios. The Marlins cap their contribution to the $205 million (or what it 215 ???) number and are no longer held to covering overruns, or a diminished contribution with all three parties sharing in cost overrun, or somewhere in that mix. Are those two options acceptable to the city and county? They sound like fair options to me considering this is the site that the city and county want.
-
Official NCABB 2007-2008 Discussion
Go Owls!!! I'm excited for this season. We put $10 million into our Arena over the summer and the team should compete for the Sun Belt title.
-
Marlins ballpark faces new funding gap
This sh?t never ends i suppose if this is accurate we now know the Marlins ownership did not want it to happen It's about the loss of parking revenue because the City no longer guarantees they will build the parking garage they committed to and could cost the Marlins over $80-100 million over the term of the lease in lost "net" revenues (their share). Seems to me that's a big enough issue to be concerned about. That would be a big issue, but didn't we know from the moment the OB came into play as pretty much the only choice, that the Marlins were going to lower their contribution? That was mentioned in the articles that day. Anyway, as long as MLB stays involved, I'll remian hopeful, since they seem to pretty always end up getting these types of deals done when they want them to happen. I remember the DC stadium getting derailed a couple of times before MLB stepped in and closed that deal.
-
Heat trade Walker, Doleac, Simien for Davis Blount
I think if Celtics fans were bragging about their supporting cast of Ricky Davis, Smush Parker, Dequan Cook, Penny Hardaway and Dorrell Wright, you guys would laugh in their faces. Which team would you rather have... Shaq/Zo/Doleac Haslem/Walker Posey/Kapono Wade/Jones Williams/Payton or Shaq/Zo/Blount Haslem/Blount Davis/Wright Wade/Hardaway Williams/Parker By the way, i'd still much rather take the Heat's supporting cast over the Celtics. I'm not saying this trade automatically puts the Heat back in the Finals, but they have a better shot of getting there with this current roster than they did last season with the one that relied on guys like washed up guys like Walker, Jones, and Payton. Dear God if Penny Hardaway is our #2 SG once Wade comes back.. I think with the way Daequan Cook has played in the preseason, he has earned the #2 SG spot in the rotation. I think he could surprise alot of people this year if he gets decent minutes. I agree, Cook has been impressive and I hope he plays because he is an excellent shooter. Has he done enough to earn Riley's trust yet? I don't know, but he is going to be a good player and I hope he gets a chance early on. I saw Hardaway play the other night against the Spurs and came away convinced he can help this team. He can give them a good 10-15 minutes a night and be productive playing the 1, 2, and 3 spots. Granted it was only 1 game and only preseason, but he looks like he can be a more versatile version of Eddie Jones with a better offensive game....not as strong defensively, of course, but I think at his age, the quality of Eddie's D is more reputation than anything else.
-
Marlins ballpark faces new funding gap
I could be wrong, but I still think this is going to happen. Dupuy said yesterday that the OB is the only site under consideration right now. If MLB thinks this is a viable location, i'm confident it'll get worked out. After all these years struggling for this and with the league heavily involved, I doubt MLB would allow them to walk away from a viable deal.
-
Heat trade Walker, Doleac, Simien for Davis Blount
I think if Celtics fans were bragging about their supporting cast of Ricky Davis, Smush Parker, Dequan Cook, Penny Hardaway and Dorrell Wright, you guys would laugh in their faces. Which team would you rather have... Shaq/Zo/Doleac Haslem/Walker Posey/Kapono Wade/Jones Williams/Payton or Shaq/Zo/Blount Haslem/Blount Davis/Wright Wade/Hardaway Williams/Parker By the way, i'd still much rather take the Heat's supporting cast over the Celtics. I'm not saying this trade automatically puts the Heat back in the Finals, but they have a better shot of getting there with this current roster than they did last season with the one that relied on guys like washed up guys like Walker, Jones, and Payton.
-
Heat trade Walker, Doleac, Simien for Davis Blount
This is a wonderful day in Heat history. I think that might be a little much, it was a good trade for the Heat, but as has been said elsewhere, while this makes them better than they were yesterday, it doesnt make them better than they were last year. This was LeBatard's argument yesterday. I don't buy it. Everyone was saying last year we needed to get younger, more athletic, and less reliant on the 3 point shot. So they replace Posey, Kapono, Payton, Walker, and Eddie Jones in the lineup with Ricky Davis, Smush Parker, Dequan Cook, Penny Hardaway, and Dorrell Wright and they aren't any better? Don't get me wrong, I like Posey and Kapono, but they were basically one dimensional specialists. Davis is a much more dynamic player than either ever was or will be. Parker is an upgrade over Payton, who was completely spent last season. Wright isn't the shooter that Jones is/was, but at this point is probably a better defender. Hardaway, at least from the limited amount of game action i've seen of him, can help this team off the bench. He's not quick or explosive, but he makes good passes and can still hit shots. Of course, everything depends on the health of Shaq and Wade, but I think there surrounding cast is now better than it was at any point last year.
-
Heat trade Walker, Doleac, Simien for Davis Blount
Yeah, I think time is about to run out on Dorrell Wright. He can't shoot, he doesn't get to the basket with any frequency, and when he does get there he usually doesn't finish. I don't know. I'm not going to give up on a 21 year old player just yet. Wright has been at his best when he doesn't have to score, just go out and defend, play with energy, rebound, and block shots. I think he can still be an effective player when the Heat has a full complement of players around him. He's clearly not a natural scorer, but if he can be on the court with players who can score, he can do a lot of the other things. This trade will only help him. I think they'll start the year with Davis at the 2 and Wright at the 3, and that will take a lot of pressure off of him. Now that he won't be looking to score, like he has all preseason, he'll be a better player.
-
Heat trade Walker, Doleac, Simien for Davis Blount
I've always thought of Blount as a stiff who has inflated stats. Davis over Walker is an improvement. But is it worth taking yourself out of the 09 free agent market? Considering the Heat aren't built for '09, improving the outlook for 2007 is definitely worth it. The Heat will have Jwill, Zo, Dorrell, and Davis coming off the books next summer. They'll have plenty of room to make moves under the luxary tax.
-
Panthers vs. Leafs
What did I miss? Short answer, panthers lost, leafs scored with under 30 seconds left.... Long answer, with about a minute left, a Leaf player (name escaping me, Gill maybe?) and Stumpel get tied up in the Panthers zone, Leaf player drops gloves, Stump tries to move along out of zone. In the meantime, Jay-Bo takes the puck coast to coast puts a puck in the crease that went just wide. Leafs got the puck take it back up ice and put in a rebound. The problem was that there should have been a whistle to stop play once the Leaf player dropped gloves looking to fight. Either way, the Panthers didn't capitalize on their opportunities and were pretty flat in the second and third periods. Anderson played well again, hope Vokoun is back out there on Sat. though. The good news is that the Lightning and Caps lost yesterday also, so no ground lost there. And, yes, I realize it's early but the last two years the main problem was getting buried in the division in Oct/Nov. so I keep track of these things.
-
A-Rod / Marlins Rumor Talk
I have been saying that we "should" have a chance at getting him for a few reasons. What the marlins should do to make this happen is not give hime a huge salary, but instead give him partial ownership of the stadium. I am sure there is a way that can be worked out. South Florida is all about what is "in" and if we signed A-Rod they the Marlins would become the hottest ticket in town, just like the heat became once we signed Shaq. Signing A-Rod could be what keeps the Marlins in South Florida. :hat The ONLY way that Arod comes here is if some type of ownership in the team is involved. We can't afford to pay him $30 million a year, but if he had a 10% ownership of the franchise...That could be attractive to him. But I can't see it happening. It would be really cool though.
-
2 New Stadium Articles about Parking....
http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/071018/story4.shtml http://www.miamitodaynews.com/news/071018/story1.shtml It's neither positive or negative news, really. Basically says there are problems, but there are ways to fix them. Perhaps it's encouraging that they are at a stage in negotiations where they would be even looking at this issue.
-
Dane Cook Playoffs Ads
I like Dane Cook's standup.... inb4flaming I'm sad for you.
-
Panthers WIN in Montreal!
That was an awesome game. I had to listen on the radio.....but the Panthers broadcast is so awful, I was listening to the Canadiens' feed online (very good as you'd expect). Pretty much stole two points, but it is the kind of game they would have lost last year. Vokoun was unbelievable after giving up an early PP goal. Great win!
-
Report: Marlins to get $50MM for stadium
The Marlins issue was just passed by the commissioners. If I understood what was going on correctly, all they did today was allow the county to identify the funds available and negotiate a proposal to be voted on by the commissioners. Not sure how long that will take...maybe someone with more knowledge of this can answer that. Hopefully we'll hear something in the next few weeks.
-
Report: Marlins to get $50MM for stadium
And by the way, funny how things work. Not too long ago construction prices were spiraling out of sight. Basic materials costs are down, general contractor pricing are down, and significantly, a yard of concrete is down almost 11% in a year. Couldn't be a better time to get this stadium built. I think the biggest issue remains the concessions selection. City wants cronies, Marlins/MLB want open bidding. This article doesn't mention the Marlins, but it could also be a sign of good timing: http://miamitodaynews.com/news/071011/story4.shtml The county's Tourist Development Tax and Professional Sports Facilities Franchise Tax, which make up the remainder of the 6% collected from room rentals, yielded a 22.7% increase from last August
-
Lightning at Panthers
The Panthers played a great game with the exception of about 5 minutes in the 3rd period. Good to see all of the scoring chances the Panthers were getting in the first 3 games are starting to turn into goals. Good work by Vokoun. He faced 44 shots, gave up 4, but none were particuarly bad goals, just a momentary defensive collapse in the 3rd. Now it's off to Canada, let's bring back 2 or 3 W's.
-
Reds Hire Dusty Baker
Should we place a call to Dr. James Andrews now on behalf of the Reds pitching staff?
-
Pitching Coach Update
I wonder if they'll look at Mazzone now that he was let go by the O's. He's got a history with Fredi from the Braves. Could be a fit.
-
PANTHERS WIN!!!
I've been telling people that all this team needed was to get their first win and they should start rolling. The first three games they were getting opportunities but not scoring and in return began pressing. That led to bad decisions and goals against. Hopefully, last night is a relief and they can string together some wins. Very encouraged by the goaltending the past two games.
-
Someone must know something
I don't need to know details, I just want to know that things are still progressing toward an agreement at the OB site. Can anyone say with any confidence that this issue may be resolved by the end of the year?
-
NFL Week 5 Discussion
You wouldn't trade Ronnie for just a 2nd rounder, and if that's all they can get then forget it, obviously. But if you can get like a one, a two, and a five, or something like that, then you have to do it. I'm not sure if that's realistic or not. Ronnie is a good young player, but the point is, for where the Dolphins are at, I don't think he's young enough. If you go by the typical RB, he's got 4 seasons after this one before he either hits a wall or starts to decline. The best thing for the Dolphins would be to have young players that are all peaking at the same time. You don't want to hit some good drafts, only to have Ronnie get old, and then you have more gaps to fill. Nobody is giving up a 1, 2, and 5 for Ronnie Brown. I like the guy, but come on. Marshall Faulk was traded for a 2nd and 5th...TO was dealt for a 2nd. No way Brown gets you a 1st and 2nd.
-
NFL Week 5 Discussion
im sorry but i think anyone in favor of getting rid of ronnie brown is retarded...he is an absolute beast He is, which is why it might make sense to trade him. Think of what Dallas did with Herschel Walker. It may have hurt them immediately, but it certainly paid off long-term. If he was just okay, we wouldn't get anything for him, so why trade him? But if he leads the league in yardage this year, we might be able to get a bunch of picks for him, which we really, really need. You also have to consider that we don't really have a chance of being good for at least this year and the year after. Ronnie will be 28 by the time we have even a chance of being good, and that's even looking at things optimistically. RBs start to go downhill at 30. The chances that we put together a serious title contender by the time he's 30 are very slim. Can we not trade away our good young players please...we don't have nearly enough of them to begin with. Besides, what would we possibly get...a 2nd rounder for him? I'll keep him.
-
NFL Week 5 Discussion
Ronnie's legit. I can't believe this is the same Ronnie Brown from last season and the beginning of this year. He looks like a completely different runner. Great to see.
-
Bring Pudge back!
Oh no...Just wait till bobbob sees this... ".294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294 .294" Exactly. While I love Pudge for what he did in 03, he's going to want at least $8mil a year. Someone who's OBP was what is listed above is not worth that kind of money.