Everything posted by fauowls44
-
Update: J. Jones deal apparently off
Guessing it'd be Graham Taylor though, doubt someone with West's injury status would get traded. It's not either.
-
Update: J. Jones deal apparently off
hopefully we didn't give up something major in our system amen It's a single A pitcher from Greensboro...nobody major. Not a huge fan of Jones, but what the hell. He's better than anything we have and if he hits anywhere close to what he did last year, it's a good pickup.
-
Garnett to Lakers, Jermaine O'Neal to Boston?
I agree. Trading Al Jefferson and the #5 for JO makes no sense. I'd rather have Jefferson than JO anyway given that he's 6 years younger, less expensive, and not nearly the injury risk. Plus their production will be similar going forward.
-
Panthers Re-Sign Craig Anderson
Anderson will back up Vokoun. Kolnik, Auld, and Semenov all gone. Also, Martin says he is set in goal and on D. He will look to sign 5 forwards, hopefully including Gelinas and Stumpel. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panthers/cont...nthersfeed.html I'm glad that the chose Anderson over Auld. He's cheaper and I liked what I saw from him late last season. He'll know his role and be ready. He also had a very good year in the AHL last season.
-
Miami Heat
Go to the Heat ticketexchange that is on their website. The marlins have the same thing, it's where season ticket holders post their tickets for sale. You can get some good seats on that and the teams guarantee that the tickets are real, unlike ebay and stubhub.
-
2007 NHL Free Agency
The NHL free agent signing period begins July 1st and the first few days are always very busy with lots of players changing teams. I thought it deserved it's own thread. I guess i'll get the topic started with some Panthers news. George Richards who does good work with the Herald seems to think Todd White is on his way to the Panthers. It makes sense since he has a past relationship with Martin fom their days in Ottawa. He would be a solid pickup. Not quite a huge offensive boost, but a solid player who would add some speed and depth. Here is the article. http://www.miamiherald.com/588/story/149724.html Panthers add seven more, look to the future After taking seven more players, the Panthers must now focus on their players with expiring contracts, and free agents. BY GEORGE RICHARDS grichards@MiamiHerald.com COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Panthers concluded the NHL Draft on Saturday by selecting seven more players who they hope will help them down the road. Today, Florida coach and general manager Jacques Martin begins planning for the immediate future. ''The next 10 days are very important for our organization,'' Martin said from the floor of Nationwide Arena. ``We've accomplished a lot by acquiring [goalie Tomas] Vokoun, the signing of [right wing Nathan] Horton this week. It's a good indication that the commitment from ownership and the organization is there. We're moving forward and have stability. We just need to keep working.'' After a busy week, the Panthers set their sights on the 2007-08 season. A number of players need to be tendered qualifying offers by Monday night, and the free agent period begins July 1. The Panthers aren't actively looking for a goalie because they reeled in Vokoun in a blockbuster trade with Nashville on Friday. But they do have needs that will be addressed. As of Saturday, Florida has almost $30 million locked up in contract money for next season, with Vokoun ($5.3 million) and captain Olli Jokinen ($5.25 million) leading the way. Not including probable minor-leaguers, Florida has 14 regulars locked up and needs to re-sign Stephen Weiss, Noah Welch and either Alex Auld or Craig Anderson. Martin is expected to qualify defensemen Steve Montador and Alexei Semenov. Juraj Kolnik is not likely to receive a tender, but could sign with the team as a free agent after July 1 if he accepts a pay cut. The Panthers are in the market for more offensive help, with Minnesota forward Todd White likely headed south. Martin also has said Florida will look at free agents Slava Kozlov and former Panther Viktor Kozlov. Both players would help Florida's offensive needs. Other targets could also be searched out, including trying to re-sign forwards Jozef Stumpel and Martin Gelinas before July 1. Last week, owner Alan Cohen said Florida's payroll next season would near $45 million. It looks like it might be more than that once the dust settles. ''We have to make sure we have the proper order by looking at what our needs are,'' Martin said. ``Hopefully, we can fill some of those needs either with free agents or trades. We need to fill some forward positions, that's where our focus will be. We need more grittiness, a physical presence. But, at the same time, we'd like to add some speed to our lineup.'' DRAFT DAY On Saturday, however, Martin and his scouting team was looking past 2007-08 to find the organization's newest crop of players. Florida had the 10th selection in the second round and didn't use Tampa Bay's second-round pick, opting to use that selection next year. Florida will have two, and perhaps three, second-round selections next year, with one of those going to Nashville as part of the Vokoun trade. Florida would receive a third pick if Todd Bertuzzi re-signs with Detroit. The Panthers used their second-round pick Saturday on Czech forward Michal Repik. A star of Vancouver's Memorial Cup victory in juniors, Repik is familiar with the Panthers because of his relationships with Florida prospect Kenndal McArdle and Czech forwards Rostislav Olesz and Michael Frolik. On Friday, Florida made defenseman Keaton Ellerby its first-round selection. ''I know some guys over there, so I think this is a good thing,'' Repik said. Said Martin: ``I think he's a player who has a real chance to be a Panther some day.'' Florida took a total of eight players, gathering in four forwards, three defensemen and a goalie. Fourth-round pick Matt Rust is off to the University of Michigan but will be paying attention to what transpires with the Panthers. ''This goes above and beyond my expectations,'' Rust said.
-
Vokoun to Panthers!
Actually, now that I took a closer look at the numbers, I disagree with myself. :mischief2 Maybe Belfour played better than his numbers last year, but overall, his stats don't show a top 10 level goalie. Instead, he was pretty average, statistically speaking. His GAA was 22nd in the league and his SV% was tied for 30th, and his numbers got worse post all-star break. What he did do was keep the Panthers in games well enough to win. So a lot of his success can be attributed to the overall team playing better. But that isn't to take anything away from Eddie. He did a good job last season, when nobody really expected him to do much. So my initial thought was wrong. Vokoun, if he plays up to the same level he has the past few seasons, should be a pretty significant upgrade in goal.
-
Vokoun to Panthers!
My take on the move is that Belfour was spectacular at times last year, but aging, this essentially ensures no dropoff in net to speak of. Go ahead and tell me I'll eat crow on this, but I don't think Vokoun is a marked upgrade over the play that the Panthers got from Eddie last season. What it does is add long term stability as Belfour would be real hard pressed to replicate his past season this coming season. It's a good move, but it has to pay off because next year's draft is expected to be very deep, so no first rounder next year means playoffs this coming year are a must. I think a move for a top-6 forward is a must. Bouwmeester should continue progressing and I'd assume Mezei to be back next season so the D isn't a problem, it's solid if unspectacular. To me, the biggest part is that Vokoun comes with a 4 year deal. That's what makes it a winner in my eyes. I agree. Eddie played like a top 10 NHL goalie most of last year and I think you are right, Vokoun basically assures that we'll stay at the same level in goal for the next few years. The problem with Eddie was that the Panthers couldn't count on him staying at that level because of his age and bad back. It just would have been too risky. Giving up the draft pick doesn't bother me so much because hopefully we'll be picking in the 20's and not in the top 10 again.
-
Vokoun to Panthers!
I was just about to post this Very nice, with Eddy heading towards the free-agent market, and with Auld being his inconsistent self, this fills a great need, I'm lovin' this trade Anderson as a backup is fine with me. I still think we re-sign Eddie and Anderson. Especially since Vokoun was injured last year. And Anderson is the backup plan. As long as Auld is gone. I have never, ever seen someone look so stiff in the net and unable to cover any real angles. Even Wade Flaherety is better. Like I said a million times, Belfour won't settle for being a backup. He's already made that abundantly clear. He'll be gone and Anderson will be the backup. Based on the way he played last season, he deserves to be starting someplace, albeit someplace with a capable backup. The problem with him coming back to the Panthers was that we don't have a young up-and-coming goalie in system, or someone that you'd feel comfortable using for a long stretch of time. The Panthers need to make the playoffs this year and therefore couldn't bring him back because his age and injury history. It would have been too risky to count on him. This trade is a brilliant move and should almost make up for the loss of Luongo. I say almost just because Roberto should never have been traded in the first place. But JM is doing a masterful job so far. He started last year at the deadline getting a good prospect in Welch and accumulating extra picks. Then locking up Allen and Horton, with Weiss and Bouw next. Next filling the biggest need with a top 5-10 NHL goalie and not giving up anyone from our roster. This team finally has a clear direction after drifting for a decade. I can't wait to see what they do in free agency.
-
2007 NHL Entry Draft
Not going to lie and say I know anything about any of these players, but Ellerby certainly fills a need in the organization. I would have loved to take the chance with Cherepanov, but I'm not going to argue with anything JM does for the time being. I can't wait for July 1st and free agency....this off season is already a success, but we need to get a couple of forwards and then look forward to opening night.
-
2007 NHL Entry Draft
Cherepanov will be there. Will they take him with the threat of not having a transfer agreement? I'd take the chance...but we'll know really soon.
-
Vokoun to Panthers!
Also on www.TSN.ca JM rules!
-
Vokoun to Panthers!
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...622_162555_4800 George Richards from the Herald says it is next year's first round pick. The Panthers have apparently swung a deal to grab Nashville All-Star Tomas Vokoun.Still wading through the rumors, but this can't be anything but good for the Panthers. The big price was next year's first round pick, but whatever.You lose Roberto, you gain Vokoun. Not too shabby.Sure, the price was steep, but it was the right move to make. You have to think JM did quite a nice job with this one. He didn't panic, stayed cool throughout the deal -- and didn't get desperate and go to Minnesota for Manny Fernandez. As always, post your comments below. As bad as last year's draft was for the Panthers, this one suddenly just perked up. http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers...new-goalie.html
-
Official NHL Offseason Thread
This is why the Panthers didn't trade for Toskala: Friday, Toronto swung a deal with San Jose, acquiring Vesa Toskala and Mark Bell for a bunch of draft picks. Florida had been talking to the Sharks about Toskala, but Florida wasn't going to give up 21-year-old forward Rostislav Olesz. c/o George Richards' blog. Well I certainly wouldn't give up Olesz for him or Bryzgalov. If it was for Vokun, I would think about it. Hopefully we can do something about the goaltending. It wouldn't be the end of the world to go with Belfour next season, but his age and past back problems scare me. Auld and Anderson are more of the backup type so I don't think either are the answer.
-
Official NHL Offseason Thread
Oh well. That is one Panthers goalie target down. I wouldn't have given up our 1st rounder for him. I might for Vokun or Bryzgalov, but not a 30 year old Toskala.
-
Anibal Done Pitching for Season
Sucks that he is done for the year, but considering he'll likely be back and ready to go for next spring, I'm not too upset. For anyone who watched him this year compared to last, you knew there had to be something wrong. At least this is taken care of now instead of later. Get well soon Anibal!
-
Brady Clark DFA'd
Clark> Reggie, Borchard Send Down Reggie, DFA Borchard and Activate Jacobs, add Clark I think we'll add Clark or Dukes. Hopefully it wll be Clark. If we are going to add someone, I'd much rather add Dukes just based on potential. It's a big risk, but if it works out we're set in CF for the next 5 years. Clark is 35 and was never all that good.
-
Possible Heat Trade Ideas
None of these are very realistic. So in your 3-way deal, the Heat trades Wright, JWill, and Walker, and ends up with Bynum, Odom, and Duhon?? I would love that trade, but the Bulls and Lakers aren't that stupid.
-
Tuesday Roundup: Kris Harvey homers
If Harvey continues to struggle, I wonder if there has been any thought of switching him to pitcher? I recall he was also a pretty highly thought of pitching prospect when we drafted him. Also, what is the rumored McCann to KC deal? This is the first I have seen anything about it.
-
No news about the new stadium in weeks
when is UM's deadline? None yet. Shalala has been ordered to play ball with both DS and the City at the same time. The city brought out a plan, last ditch, to make UM happy at the OB. It would all depend on a $45 million tax rebate for UM. That doesnt sound good for the Fish. Hope Da U takes it, better place to play at anyways even if I will miss the old girl As I recall the plan offered by the city to UM was just an awful deal for the school. The building would get renovated for something like $206 million or something, but they wouldn't get any revenue from the suites and they would pay more in rent. It seems some of the UM board members are having trouble letting go of the past and ordered Shalala to keep trying with both options. I doubt that they would ever agree to the deal the city offered though. It would be a bad business decision, but we'll see what happens.
-
No news about the new stadium in weeks
UM has said it will make a decsion by the end of the summer, so I would hope that they announce their plans sometime in the next two months.
-
Super Saturday Concerts for 2nd Half of the Season
I've actually always wanted to see Blues Traveler live. This works out well.
-
Tickets..
I have done the online course and loved it. There is a timer at the bottom of the page to let you know how much time you spent on the section and then you take a test at the end of each section. There's also the final test at the end, but you can go back and search through the site for the answers....although most are pretty much common sense. It was definetly better than sitting through an actual driving class for 4 hours. Afterwards, they send you the certificate and you just send it into the clerk of courts. I highly recommend it.
-
Dead Zone
I'm surprised that they killed off Walt. He was a big part of the show. Not shocked that they switched actors for JJ. The kid they had was a terrible actor, but they replaced him with a kid that looks nothing like him and is like a half-foot shorter. Odd casting, but i'll go along with it.
-
is one best player going to be trade?
I expect this year's trading deadline scenario to be similiar to what it was last year (nothing earth shattering in either direction). He'll likely bring in a mediocre CFer talent who will only complicate offseason moves. I trust that he's seen enough of Amezaga and Abercrombie at this point and the chances of Carroll doing much are rather slim. I hope you are right about Amezaga and Abercrombie. I have certainly seen enough of them. I'm interested in seeing what Carroll can do. Is he the answer in CF? Probably not, but his minor league numbers show he can hit. So maybe he can play out there and be an upgrade. If he can hit at all, then he's probably already a better option as a 4th OF than Borchard.