Ride The Pine Nunez

fishfan46

I am probably going to take some heat for this one, but I say there is no way that they should start Nunez. After the b***hing he did to the papers, his ass shouldn't be anywhere near the field at the start of the games. I'm sorry, but the team that won the World Series last year, the team that most of Miami fell in love with was a team built on solid unselfish play. I mean look at what Mikey did last fall, any other all star would of thrown a fit sitting on the bench, but he sucked it up. I don't think a rookie should come in shoot his mouth off and be given this kind of oppertunity, especially after he shoots his mouth off then goes 0 for 4. Let Conine get his act together on the field. Conine is the guy we got here with, you don't just toss him aside cause he is starting slow, especially for a guy who acts like a punk.

Nunez' comments were blown out of proportion. They were translated from a DR paper.

Abe is healthy this year and had a good spring.

I realize Conine is very popular, but face it, he is 37.....a time in every players career when they could start to decline. He is definitely not seeing the ball well right now. It would be great to see him have another good year, but that may or may not happen. Time will tell.

I would really like to see what Nunez could do....so why not give him a shot while Conine is slumping?????

Nunez' comments were blown out of proportion. They were translated from a DR paper.

Abe is healthy this year and had a good spring.

I realize Conine is very popular, but face it, he is 37.....a time in every players career when they could start to decline. He is definitely not seeing the ball well right now. It would be great to see him have another good year, but that may or may not happen. Time will tell.

I would really like to see what Nunez could do....so why not give him a shot while Conine is slumping?????

Conine is solid. Last year everyone said he was on decline...

*checks calendar*

We play the Phillies this week and the Braves are still in the way.

LEAVE CONINE ALONE ON SATURDAY!

Not to be too picky. But Conine did not exactly light it up as a Marlin last year. He started real slow, was clutch in a couple of games against Philly...but ended up with a .238 BA as a Marlin. So the jury is out whether or not he is on the decline. It would be hard to argue against it so far.

Conine is slumping and no better time to find out wether Nunez is the real deal or not.

Exactly.

Hey Cabs got the call up last year when Hollandsworth was slumping...and that worked out quite well.

Not to say that Nunez is another Cabrera....he certainly isn't, but everone needs a chance to shine, and he may do quite well. Better to give him some PT now...you never know when an injury could put him in the line up.

Not to be too picky. But Conine did not exactly light it up as a Marlin last year. He started real slow, was clutch in a couple of games against Philly...but ended up with a .238 BA as a Marlin. So the jury is out whether or not he is on the decline. It would be hard to argue against it so far.

Wait a second now, he played almost as many games during the postseason as the regular season for us and in the postseason where the pitching was much tougher he hit well over .300. In fact if you put regular season and postseason together he hit .292 for us last year which is right around his average. So don't tell me he was on the decline last year.

I am probably going to take some heat for this one, but I say there is no way that they should start Nunez. After the b***hing he did to the papers, his ass shouldn't be anywhere near the field at the start of the games. I'm sorry, but the team that won the World Series last year, the team that most of Miami fell in love with was a team built on solid unselfish play. I mean look at what Mikey did last fall, any other all star would of thrown a fit sitting on the bench, but he sucked it up. I don't think a rookie should come in shoot his mouth off and be given this kind of oppertunity, especially after he shoots his mouth off then goes 0 for 4. Let Conine get his act together on the field. Conine is the guy we got here with, you don't just toss him aside cause he is starting slow, especially for a guy who acts like a punk.

well we don't to look any further for the most insufferable post of the week. you win it hands down.

how do you respond to an inane like this? :thumbdown

Leave Nunez alone. Sure, he said some things - whether taken out of context or not. But it is a fact that Nunez went on to have a ridiculous spring. 10 homeruns is not anything to scoff at. Especially when the guy is a switch hitter.

I dont even understand this post because Nunez didnt start last night. Conine went 0-4, 3 LOB, 2 K's and is batting .167. He is struggling. Conine is a much better hitter than this. He is not seeing the ball well right now but he will come around. He is not your typical 37 year old. This guy can still play at a high level.

That said, why not give Nunez a shot? I dont think Conine is in full health right now. A sinus infection takes some time to clear up. And Conine may just be struggling right now. Get Nunez some ABs.

But who cares? This is all pointless right now. Besides, the guy who should be complaining (but better not) is Easley. Face it, we got a lot of depth on our bench right now - I hope we never need to use it.

Guest Juanky

Let OMGNUNEZ have a go today, IMO. He'd be going up against a good pitcher in Russ Ortiz, the best the Braves can currently run out there. If he succeeds today, then we have options. If not then he has failed twice and should return to his sporadic pinch hitting duty.

Let OMGNUNEZ have a go today, IMO. He'd be going up against a good pitcher in Russ Ortiz, the best the Braves can currently run out there. If he succeeds today, then we have options. If not then he has failed twice and should return to his sporadic pinch hitting duty.

That sounds good. Even if he goes 0-4, I have a tough time seeing Steve do much better.

People who think Conine was bad last year are kidding themselves. His OPS was close to .800 and the advanced metrics had him as a top defensive leftfielder during his brief time there.

This year he's started out slow. But sheesh he's Mister Marlin! He's earned the benefit of doubt, just like Thome, Tejada, Pedro and other All-Stars weren't benched for struggling early I'll take Conine working the count and supplying better defense than either Miggy or Pierre so far.

All this because some guy never showed the tools he was capable of until it was found out that he lied about his age. I'm glad Nunez made the club, but he needs to shut his trap and recognize that all he earned was a bench spot for the defending World Champions. And the rest of the 'Nunez for the HOF' groupies need to recognize that too.

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm in favor of Nunez getting more at bats. He should be the first man off the bench well ahead of Lenny Harris. But he hasn't shown much for a starting spot yet.

People who think Conine was bad last year are kidding themselves. His OPS was close to .800 and the advanced metrics had him as a top defensive leftfielder during his brief time there.

This year he's started out slow. But sheesh he's Mister Marlin! He's earned the benefit of doubt, just like Thome, Tejada, Pedro and other All-Stars weren't benched for struggling early I'll take Conine working the count and supplying better defense than either Miggy or Pierre so far.

All this because some guy never showed the tools he was capable of until it was found out that he lied about his age. I'm glad Nunez made the club, but he needs to shut his trap and recognize that all he earned was a bench spot for the defending World Champions. And the rest of the 'Nunez for the HOF' groupies need to recognize that too.

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm in favor of Nunez getting more at bats. He should be the first man off the bench well ahead of Lenny Harris. But he hasn't shown much for a starting spot yet.

Right on man

Wait a second now, he played almost as many games during the postseason as the regular season for us and in the postseason where the pitching was much tougher he hit well over .300. In fact if you put regular season and postseason together he hit .292 for us last year which is right around his average. So don't tell me he was on the decline last year. Exactly. Not only that but he did well before he arrived here. Let Conine play it out, it is only a matter of time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.