Manzanillo get the call to the show

Ramp

WHOA WHOA!!!

GUYS!!! HOLD ON A SEC...

Geez, you all are about to jump off a cliff and hang yourselves. Calm down!

The reason Phelps went down is because his arm is blown out. Starting from relieving will do that to a pitcher. He was conditioned to pitch as a reliever, going in as a starter has exhausted him and he is basically on a rehab stint, from what I can make of it. Here is the article from Floridamarlins.com:

Notes: Manzanillo gets the call

Reliever will be counted on during the late innings

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

Josias Manzanillo (seen here with the Pirates) has appeared in 241 career games. (Gene J. Puskar/AP)

MIAMI -- Still searching for steady setup relief help, the Marlins once again have tapped a veteran out of Triple-A Albuquerque.

Right-hander Josias Manzanillo, 36, is the latest reliever to make it up from Triple-A in hopes of securing the eighth-inning role that has been unsettled since Chad Fox went on the disabled list April 29.

Manzanillo's arrival turned into the departure of left-hander Tommy Phelps, who was optioned Wednesday to Albuquerque after going 1-1 with a 4.76 ERA in 19 games.

"All these guys in the bullpen can't say they haven't had a chance," manager Jack McKeon said. "Sooner or later, we've got to get some consistency."

Manzanillo broke in with the Red Sox in 1991, and the Marlins are his eighth big league team.

Manzanillo's last Major League experience was in 2003 when he was 0-2 with a 12.66 ERA with the Reds, appearing in nine games and 10 2/3 innings. For his career, he is 10-12 with a 4.56 ERA.

Phelps opened the season in the bullpen and was moved into the rotation when lefty Darren Oliver was demoted. In his first start, Phelps tossed seven shutout innings, and allowed one hit, in a win over the Reds on May 26. But since then, his arm hasn't felt strong.

"My arm has been hanging," Phelps said. "It's a matter of getting it back."

To make room for Manzanillo on the 40-man roster, infielder Wil Cordero was transferred to the 60-day disabled list from the 15-day DL.

"It's been awesome the whole time I've been up here," said Phelps, a member of the 2003 World Series team. "I have no problems with the front office."

Phelps is in his third and final option year, meaning the Marlins can bring him up or send him down as often as they'd like this season.

"We've been talking about someone stepping up and taking the bull by the horns," McKeon said.

Signed on May 21, Manzanillo was 0-1 with a 5.25 ERA in 11 games with the Isotopes. He posted five saves and tossed 12 innings. He was informed he was being called up to the Marlins before Tuesday's game and didn't suit up for the Isotopes.

Ideally, the Marlins are looking for a right-hander to solidify the job, which is one reason Manzanillo is getting the call instead of lefty Michael Tejera, who is 6-1 with a 3.45 ERA with the Isotopes.

Manzanillo is the fifth reliever brought up from Albuquerque since Fox went on the disabled list.

The Marlins' bullpen had a rough outing in Tuesday's 7-5 loss in 10 innings to the White Sox. After A.J. Burnett tossed six shutout innings, Marlins relievers gave up seven runs in four innings. Closer Armando Benitez blew his second save of the year, allowing two home runs in 1 2/3 innings.

Bullpen options: Now that the Marlins have brought up Manzanillo, there are few, if any, reliever options in Albuquerque.

The Marlins are exploring trade possibilities, but the availability out there is limited because so many teams believe they are still in playoff contention. While the Expos are slumping, they aren't interested in trading, especially with their division rivals.

The Royals are a team seeking moves for prospects or affordable veterans. Veteran reliever Jason Grimsley is a possibility; so is acquiring right-hander Rudy Seanez from the Royals' Triple-A Omaha affiliate.

In terms of acquiring position players, the Marlins are taking a wait-and-see approach. It's no secret the Royals are looking to move star outfielder Carlos Beltran, but his contract demands and current salary make it very unlikely the Marlins would be in the mix.

The Marlins parted with eight top prospects a year ago to acquire pitchers Mark Redman and Ugueth Urbina, and outfielder Jeff Conine. The team is being careful deciding which young players to part with now because the farm system is thinner.

Florida's priorities are relief help, first and foremost, and then another batter, possibly a catcher or outfielder.

It's doubtful a push will be made for Kansas City catcher Benito Santiago, a former Marlin with playoff experience. Santiago has a multi-year contract and his skills have declined.

Burnett impressive: The bright side of an otherwise frustrating Tuesday night was the six innings of shutout ball by Burnett, who gave up one hit but walked six.

Burnett was in line for his first win since beating the Giants on Aug. 18, 2002. Instead, he settled for a no-decision.

"The positive was seeing Burnett," McKeon said. "He walked six, but he wasn't missing by much. He had a better breaking ball."

The six walks put the hard-throwing right-hander in position to work out of trouble, which he did.

"He had to find a way to get out of those jams and he did," McKeon said.

Slumping division: The Marlins bullpen was unable to protect a 4-0 lead in the eighth and a 5-3 lead in the ninth on Tuesday, but the Marlins remained one game ahead of the Phillies in the National League East.

"The thing that's scary is you know someone is going to get hot," McKeon said. "We hope it's us. If someone got hot the last two or three weeks, they'd be running away with this division."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Sweet Jebus guys! I think Beinfest and Co. are very aware of Tejera's numbers. I also think they are more aware of who is likely to succeed at this point. We know what Tejera can do. I also think that a deal may be brewing here. You dont bring up Manzanillo and leave Tejera down IF you think he is better UNLESS you are working out a deal for him.

C'mon guys - you dont win a World Series by accident. I hate to tell you all that and you all should KNOW BETTER! :banghead

Well that explains what happened to Phelps, and he doesn't sound upset about it.

The thing that puzzles me: if they knew Phelps was having arm troubles before the game, and already had plans to send him down, why did McKeon bring him in to face Perez in a critical situation in the 10th. That walk, to load the bases for Bump, was painful.

Well that explains what happened to Phelps, and he doesn't sound upset about it.

The thing that puzzles me: if they knew Phelps was having arm troubles before the game, and already had plans to send him down, why did McKeon bring him in to face Perez in a critical situation in the 10th. That walk, to load the bases for Bump, was painful.

[shrug]Dont know - maybe they found out after the game.[/shrug]

Guest Jack1

Bump got the out. I think if he is only used to start an inning, it would be alot better. Let him get himself out of his own jams, not others.

he is a reliever.

relievers are supposed to get out of other people's jams also.

thats the nature of the damn job.Bump is NOT a reliever. At least he never was.

I am shocked that Phelps was sent down. WTH is going on?

Maybe Jack got the names mixed up! It wouldn't be the first time or so I have heard.

Guest Jack1

Just read that article above on why Phelps was sent down. Misuse pure and simple.

I heard a story recently that Bump took a bullpen session one day because he was not supposed to be used that night and then they brought him in for 2 innings anyway that night. That's how guys get hurt. Also Bump hadn't pitched in a week before last night. I think the pitching coaches and Jack need to get their acts together too! It sounds like we have a real circus here!

Bump got the out. I think if he is only used to start an inning, it would be alot better. Let him get himself out of his own jams, not others.

he is a reliever.

relievers are supposed to get out of other people's jams also.

thats the nature of the damn job.Bump is NOT a reliever. At least he never was.

I am shocked that Phelps was sent down. WTH is going on?

Maybe Jack got the names mixed up! It wouldn't be the first time or so I have heard. then what is bump?

Just read that article above on why Phelps was sent down. Misuse pure and simple.

I heard a story recently that Bump took a bullpen session one day because he was not supposed to be used that night and then they brought him in for 2 innings anyway that night. That's how guys get hurt. Also Bump hadn't pitched in a week before last night. I think the pitching coaches and Jack need to get their acts together too! It sounds like we have a real circus here!

I dont think so. As a reliever you have to be ready to pitch everynight. Bump was once a starter and is conditioned for the wear and tear. Phelps is different. You dont go from reliever to starter - and the load that Phelps took on was quite extensive - and not get a tired arm. That is not to say he has suffered any injuries either. So they took precautions with him and sent him down to AAA. Doesnt sound like a circus to me.

Yep.

And Justin Wayne got injured while working consecutive games one week then a few 5-day breaks then another three game set two weeks later.