Mary-Kate Olsen in Rehab

MiRi

Report: Olsen Treated for Eating Disorder

Wed Jun 23, 2:04 AM ET

NEW YORK - Mary-Kate Olsen, the brunette half of the Olsen twins entertainment empire, has entered a treatment facility "to seek professional help for a health-related issue," her publicist said Tuesday.

Us Weekly and People magazines reported that Olsen has an eating disorder and entered the unidentified treatment center during the past few days.

Olsen's publicist, Michael Pagnotta, would not comment on those reports.

Us Weekly said Olsen is anorexic.

Mary-Kate and her sister, Ashley, turned 18 on June 13. They recently graduated from high school and plan to attend New York University in the fall.

They've been acting together since they were 9 months old, most notably on the sitcom "Full House" and in a series of direct-to-video movies. They've also attached their names to a line of products ranging from clothing to beauty items to home decorating merchandise.

Their big-screen debut, "New York Minute," did poorly at the box office after its May release.

Another article.... http://et.tv.yahoo.com/celebrities/2004/06...eatingdisorder/

She should know she doesnt have to starve herself to look good.....

Exactly.

Women that starve themselves to look good make absoloutely no sense to me in terms of that particular logic.

You can eat and still look good ladies. This is a sad story, I hope she figures things out.

Anorexia has nothing to do with food. It is a psychological disorder that just manifests itself through not eating (like how obsessive-compulsive manifests itself through washing hands, which has nothing to do with thinking your hands are dirty). The solution is not to make someone realize they dont need to starve themselves to look good, you have to get to the root of the problem in order to change thinking patterns and behavior.

Anorexia has nothing to do with food. It is a psychological disorder that just manifests itself through not eating (like how obsessive-compulsive manifests itself through washing hands, which has nothing to do with thinking your hands are dirty). The solution is not to make someone realize they dont need to starve themselves to look good, you have to get to the root of the problem in order to change thinking patterns and behavior.

True. My cousin was anorexic at one point. She has tons of issues in her life. Poor girl. I know it's tough. I've seen it.

its amazing how people can STARVE themselves. how do you fight that?!?! it sucks to be hungry especially if you go a long time without food. its HORRIBLE so horrible that its probably in the top 5 worst ways to die. yet people do it to themselves!

its amazing how people can STARVE themselves. how do you fight that?!?! it sucks to be hungry especially if you go a long time without food. its HORRIBLE so horrible that its probably in the top 5 worst ways to die. yet people do it to themselves!

The less often a person eats, the less that person's body needs to eat. They slow down their body over a period of time to need less food. They get to a point where a normal person on a diet is hungry for a couple hours before going to sleep to lose weight equates to that person's body only eating a very small portion over the entire day. It involves training your body to expect a lot less over a longer period of time. It will suck at the beginning (like a normal person on a diet to lose 5 pounds), but your body eventually adjusts and expects that level. Every person is capable of doing it if they have the mental determination.

I don't get it personally. I love food too much. However, I can rationalize the behavior. Anyone that has been on a diet and been successful knows the mental restrain it takes to eat less (along with exercise in most cases) to lose weight. Now combine that with a distorted view of your body and that is how people (not just girls) go from normal dieting to harmful eating disorders.

As hard as it is for really fat people to not eat and get in shape, it is equally as hard (minus your own body's metabolism depending on your desire shape, i.e. gaining or losing weight) on some people that appear skinny to most people to eat at a normal rate and overcome eating disorders.

It isn't a good thing on either extreme end. :thumbdown

I know how to fix that

EAT SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anorexia > obesity

That's pretty ignorant. Anorexia really isn't about food, if you research anorexics what they long for is perfection and control. They want control over their lives and they feel this is the best way to do it. It is NO big surprise that someone who has always been in the spotlight since they were a baby and is expected to be this perfect teenager would end up with a disorder like this.

What worries me is that these girls are role models for so many..

I know how to fix that

EAT SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anorexia > obesity

That's pretty ignorant. Anorexia really isn't about food, if you research anorexics what they long for is perfection and control. They want control over their lives and they feel this is the best way to do it. It is NO big surprise that someone who has always been in the spotlight since they were a baby and is expected to be this perfect teenager would end up with a disorder like this.

What worries me is that these girls are role models for so many.. Very true. I am not sure if my cousin is still having anorexia problems right now. But when she did, she was still in school. Her parents expected her to get straight A's all her school life, especially in college. A lot of us know how difficult it can be to get straight A's in college. If she didn't get straight A's, she'd get in major trouble. So all that was really stressful for her. She wanted to meet her parents expectations and if she would get a B or a C, she would feel horrible and wanted to be the "perfect" daughter. All this was more her father's doing. Her mother, my first cousin and my dad's niece, was more relaxed with her. Her father is the one who was, and still is, a butthole with her.

Ashley Olsen cancels trip to be with sister

Thursday, June 24, 2004 Posted: 11:49 AM EDT (1549 GMT)

Find Books by Mary Olsen

Buy used, new, rare and out-of-print books by Mary Olsen. Millions of books from...

www.alibris.com

RELATED

? Source: Mary-Kate Olsen treated for eating disorder

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

Ashley Olsen

Mary-Kate Olsen

Entertainment

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Ashley Olsen has canceled a trip to Australia to stay with her twin sister, Mary-Kate, who is being treated for "a health-related issue."

"Ashley Olsen has decided to be with her family at this time," Robert Thorne, chief executive of the Olsen twins' Dualstar Entertainment Group, said Thursday.

Us Weekly and People magazines reported this week that Mary-Kate has an eating disorder and had entered an unidentified treatment center. Her publicist, Michael Pagnotta, wouldn't comment on those reports.

Pagnotta said Tuesday Mary-Kate entered a treatment facility "to seek professional help for a health-related issue," but didn't elaborate.

Us Weekly said Mary-Kate is anorexic.

Mary-Kate and Ashley, who turned 18 on June 13, have been acting together since they were 9 months old, most notably on the TV sitcom "Full House" and in a series of direct-to-video movies.

Ashley had been scheduled to attend the Australian premiere of their new movie, "New York Minute," in Melbourne next week.

"While it is unfortunate that plans have been canceled, Mary-Kate and Ashley appreciate everyone's support and understanding at this time," Thorne's statement said. "They look forward to coming to Australia and New Zealand in the very near future."