Crazy Old Man (NOT ME) trade idea

Trade Proposal For The Fishes

Two months before the trading deadline but ole Krusty can't help but to think Bowden will pull the trigger for additional pitching and a possible leadoff hitter before then. All signs point to the Marlins with their anticipated fire sale to be conducted. With that in mind, what do you think of this deal:

Florida trades RHP Brad Penny and 2nd baseman Luis Castillo to the Reds for outfielder Jose Guillen, infielder Felipe Lopez, pitchers Gabe White and Ty Howington.

Forida would get White to try to offset the balance of the salary difference. Plus, most likely they would move White to a contender for additional prospects. Guillen gives them outfield depth at an affordable price, especially for next season when Pierre is the only returning outfielder. Howington was rumored earlier this year as a possible return for Penny, so why not now? Lopez gives them a possible replacement for Castillo come 2004.

Cincinnati gets a much coveted leadoff hitter in Castillo while Penny bolsters the rotation and allows Reidling to return to the bullpen to offset the loss of White. The Reds will have to take on an additional 3.2 million in salary with the trade, but if Carl Lindner is true to his word about there being some wiggle room, would 3.2 million be too much?

Opinions?

Damn....

And I thought you were talking about me in my old age.

Personally, I would not be shocked to see a deal like that go down. But I dont think you would see the Marlins take on Jose Guillen, unless its to move him later on....I think you need more prospects then Howington, it would take at least another upper level prospect in their system, most likely a pitcher.

AAA: Brandon Larson (3B, LF), Rueben Mateo (OF) (depending on who you talk to), Jeff Austin (SP), Brain Reith (P) (who should still be in the majors), Jose Acevedo (RP)

AA: Seth Smitherman (OF), Dane Sardinha ©.

A: Ty Howington (SP), Alexander Farfan (RP).

Larson

AVG 333

HR 7

Mateo

AVG 310

HR 3

Austin

ERA 3.62

Reith

ERA 2.68

Acevedo

ERA 3.43

Smitherman

AVG 333

HR 14

Sardinha

AVG 194

HR 2

Howington

ERA 4.71

Farfan

ERA 4.88

questions?

I think a deal like this could very possibly go down. Except for this fact.

Let's say Gullien is equal to Penny in this trade. Are Felipe Lopez and Ty Howington equal to Castillo (I took White out because we are trying to reduce salary)?

Hell no they aren't equal. I would like a deal that say's Penny and Castillo for Gullien, Lopez, Smitherman, and Howington or Austin. If I am Admin Bienfest and I don't hear the name Smitherman involved, though, then I hang-up.

It's somewhat equal talent wise..but IMO the Reds would gain more from making this trade than the Fish do.

Penny gives them a solid young arm with ace potential. Something their rotaion really lacks

Castillo gives them a great leadoff hitter. Something they really lack as well

They give up:

Guillen...a 4th OF for them with their great OF

Lopez...Castillo replaces him

White..good LHP reliever but they have Mercker and Heredia pitching well so they ca afford to deal him

Howington used to be a great prospect, seems to have slipped off a little recently.

advantage: Redlegs

I was going to start by saying, I've thinking about Felix Lopez as a Marlin for a while. Lopez remind me of Alex last couple of years, playing with no confidence. Perry Hill would do wonders with this kid talent. If this trade would be made I would ask for RHP Chris Gruler and drop Ty. He's has been losing that prospect label the last couple of years. I would take Larson over Gullien just for the simply fact he can play 3B,so here's what I would do,

Fla send, Penny, Castillo and Justin Wayne

Cin send, Gruler, Lopez, Larson and Smitherman

well TSN says the Reds are interested in Luis Castillo and Brad Penny....

it would be nice to have Dunn in LF next year, but a Howington, Smitherman, Guillen deal wouldnt be too bad.... hell maybe they would throw in Felipe Lopez(can he play 2nd)...

it would be nice to have Dunn in LF next year, but a Howington, Smitherman, Guillen deal wouldnt be too bad.... hell maybe they would throw in Felipe Lopez(can he play 2nd)...

I'd rather have Brad and Luis than all of that Red's package.

Guest markotsay7

I'd hate to see Dunn in a Marlins uniform. Remember how much we all got frustrated with Preston Wilson in his later years with his low average/high strikeouts. Dunn has more power than Wilson but also less speed, worse defense, and still doesn't hit for average and K's a lot.

Sounds very intresting ..............I wonder if the Reds are instred in swaping first basements. ;) :mischief2