Whoopi Fired After Bush Bashing

Passion

does anyone know what this event was for? I'm under the assumption it was pertaining to Slim Fast.

Either way, she alienated Slim Fast customers...that's the breaks when it comes to signing multi-million dollar contracts with a company to advertise. She pretty much was the face of Slim Fast. Slim Fast gave her the money, they can stop giving her money.

does anyone know what this event was for? I'm under the assumption it was pertaining to Slim Fast.

Either way, she alienated Slim Fast customers...that's the breaks when it comes to signing multi-million dollar contracts with a company to advertise. She pretty much was the face of Slim Fast. Slim Fast gave her the money, they can stop giving her money.

459545[/snapback]

Private Fundraiser for Kerry / Edwards... Nothing to do with "Slim-Fast"

Ok, I did not realize this was a Kerry/Edwards event.

Slim Fast still has the right to cut her b/c if they feel she's hurting business, then they can. Some would say it's not fair: but doing commercials for millions of dollars aint hard. That aint fair either. So, the same company that throws on some big pants for her and tells her to say "Im a Big Loser" for millions of bucks, can say "we don't want you to say offensive things about Bush" (or whatever).

Personally, she can say whatever the hell she wants. Only idiots get political advice from celebrities.....comedians at that (and a bad comedian).

making fun of Bush is not the issue.? The article said that she said "lewd" and innappropriate things.? It's the same reason someone gets fined for cussing in a press conference after a game.

She is a spokesman.? She isn't being jailed for what she said.? She's being taken off ads...because it hurts business for Slim Fast (or at least Slim Fast feels so).? They want to do what's best for their business.? Goldberg is an advertisement for Slim Fast, and therefore when at a function like that, needs to keep her comments from being controversial (whether anti-Bush or anti-Kerry).? This has nothing to do with the "man" keeping Goldberg down from speaking out against Bush.? Sheesh!

459512[/snapback]

It was a private event Furman. She is not a 'spokesman'. She is a comedian. Like any private event, stand up comedy show or otherwise, they can pretty much say whatever they want. It wasn't broadcast, so the stupid "indecency" standards don't apply.

Would you like your favorite comedians censored for saying their routines in a private event?

459541[/snapback]

The problem is exactly that. She isnt being CENSORED, slim fast, a private company feels that the publicity she got from this event is something they dont want to ssociate with. The government isnt the one restricting her from coming out in slim fast ads, slim fast is. Are we going to force slim fast to put her in the ads even if they dont want to? Of course not! I know what you're trying to say and if govt would do come in and prevent her from saying these things then you'd have a point, but what a private business does in advertising has nothing to do w/ censorship or anything of the sort. How many sprite commercials has kobe made after the rape accusations? Remeber he hasnt been found guilty, but sprite feels that they dont want him on their ads and thats their choice.

drunken, innappropriate language is inexcusable....

459184[/snapback]

Don't try to sugarcoat it. Whoopie has cursed before in her movies along with The Whole Her and Ted Danson black face bit. If Slim Fast was really concerned about the image of innappropriate behavior, she never would have gotten the job.

It's The Bush Comments

Guest Juanky

It's a private company doing this, not the government, so there is really nothing to say.

If it was the government doing it then I'd have a problem with it. But if Slim Fast, despite supporting the other side, feels they are going to suffer financial consequences by hanging on to Whoopi Goldberg, then drop her ass. No one here has any say in what they do, as none of us are major stock holders in the company. Write a letter or something, but this isn't a free speech issue.

Guest Juanky

Freedom of Speech not only gives Freedom to Speak, but Freedom to have consequences for what you say. The only place where you can say anything in the United States and be assured by the law nothing will happen is if you are a congressman speaking during a congressional session.

drunken, innappropriate language is inexcusable....

459184[/snapback]

Don't try to sugarcoat it. Whoopie has cursed before in her movies along with The Whole Her and Ted Danson black face bit. If Slim Fast was really concerned about the image of innappropriate behavior, she never would have gotten the job.

It's The Bush Comments

459659[/snapback]

Real World 101 - Those who sign the checks, make the rules. If you don't like it, work somewhere else.

459703[/snapback]

You like putting words in others mouths?

I could care less about Whoopi and if she was fired. I just was responding to the fact that Furman said it was the innappropriate comments not The Bush Bashing that got her canned.

Rush Limbaugh's radio show is not vile. The man single handedly saved the AM band on the radio and in the process saved taxpayers and consumers millions. Had his show not come along, AM Radio would be way dead by now and all those AM licenses would have to be moved to the FM dial therefore creating a situation where spectrum would have to be reclaimed (bought), reauctioned, and all the devices that are affected like radios and cell phones would have to be replaced since they would be useless.

That is why Rush Limbaugh is so big. He is on over 600 radio stations, gets big ad revenues, has for a long time now, and saved the medium of AM radio.

Let me just put my last two cents here. Yes, Slim-fast has the right to fire Whoopie if they want. However, what I am upset about is the fact that the Republicans made such a big deal of a private event and demonized Whoopie as if she had no right to say whatever she wanted to in the language that she knows best how to use.

If it was a public event being broadcasted during inappropriate hours on national television, maybe I wouldn't have a problem. But, this was a private fund raiser event for Kerry / Edwards where several entertainers that included comedians and musicians were invited to perform their routines and songs. The attendants to the fund raiser paid to see these performers do their gimmicks.

Now, due to increasing uproar and "outrage" by a certain group of loud mouths in the Republican party, Slim-Fast was pressured to drop Whoopie for her comments about the President. Slim-Fast is a supporter of Kerry/Edwards.

I want you all to understand that this is a fine line that we should not cross. Censoring people and pressuring companies to "drop" someone because they expressed their opinion is wrong, no matter what party or ideology you support. It would be easy to say that Slim-Fast wanted to fire Whoopie and they did, but the truth is that they were pressured to do it... That is where the grave error lies and where our rights are being taken away. Ask Howard Stern how it feels.

One thing I know, is that I'd sue the hell out of my company if they fired me for expressing my opinion at a private event.

And you should lose.

1) you don't know what her contract said...

2) Why doesn't Kobe sue for Sprite dropping him? He hasn't done anything illegal (innocent till proven guilty). Committing adultery is a religious mistake, and not a legal one right?

Kobe doesn't make Sprite look good by cheatin on his wife...

Goldberg apprently doesn't make Slim Fast look good by cussin out Bush

That's the breaks....

And who were these Republicans anyway? Seriosuly, they need to lighten up...heaven forbid someone makes a comment about someone

And you should lose.

460273[/snapback]

No. I think I'd have a case. My company has no right to fire me for expressing my opinion in a private event where I wasn't representing the company. But we're getting out of subject here.

My point in all this is not that Slim-Fast fired Whoopie, which they are very much entitled to do. My point is how and why.

Let me just put my last two cents here. Yes, Slim-fast has the right to fire Whoopie if they want. However, what I am upset about is the fact that the Republicans made such a big deal of a private event and demonized Whoopie as if she had no right to say whatever she wanted to in the language that she knows best how to use.

If it was a public event being broadcasted during inappropriate hours on national television, maybe I wouldn't have a problem. But, this was a private fund raiser event for Kerry / Edwards where several entertainers that included comedians and musicians were invited to perform their routines and songs. The attendants to the fund raiser paid to see these performers do their gimmicks.

Now, due to increasing uproar and "outrage" by a certain group of loud mouths in the Republican party, Slim-Fast was pressured to drop Whoopie for her comments about the President. Slim-Fast is a supporter of Kerry/Edwards.

I want you all to understand that this is a fine line that we should not cross. Censoring people and pressuring companies to "drop" someone because they expressed their opinion is wrong, no matter what party or ideology you support. It would be easy to say that Slim-Fast wanted to fire Whoopie and they did, but the truth is that they were pressured to do it... That is where the grave error lies and where our rights are being taken away. Ask Howard Stern how it feels.

One thing I know, is that I'd sue the hell out of my company if they fired me for expressing my opinion at a private event.

460269[/snapback]

A law suit you'd probably lose, because it was an advertising deal and in this case slim fast wanted a recognizeable face w/o the extra luggage of having negative PR. And in fact the Republicans have the right to demonize her for her comments as much as she had the right to say them. Thats free speech in full circle, and slim fast wasnt pressured to drop her they felt like doing it b/c of negative publicity that she recieved b/c of these comments. The republicans criticized her for her comments they did not try to censor her at all. Do you prefer the republicans say nothing against this personal assault that whoopi took on the president? Obviously not. No party did anything illegal here. Whoopi can say what she wants, the republicans can express themselves to media however they please as protected by the 1st amendment, and slim fast can hire or fire whoever they want, AND in fact you do not know the terms of whoopi's advertising contracts with slim fast.

460269[/snapback]

A law suit you'd probably lose, because it was an advertising deal and in this case slim fast wanted a recognizeable face w/o the extra luggage of having negative PR. And in fact the Republicans have the right to demonize her for her comments as much as she had the right to say them. Thats free speech in full circle, and slim fast wasnt pressured to drop her they felt like doing it b/c of negative publicity that she recieved b/c of these comments. The republicans criticized her for her comments they did not try to censor her at all. Do you prefer the republicans say nothing against this personal assault that whoopi took on the president? Obviously not. No party did anything illegal here. Whoopi can say what she wants, the republicans can express themselves to media however they please as protected by the 1st amendment, and slim fast can hire or fire whoever they want, AND in fact you do not know the terms of whoopi's advertising contracts with slim fast. And truthfully had a comedian bashed kerry that bad i assure you the same would happen.

A law suit you'd probably lose, because it was an advertising deal and in this case slim fast wanted a recognizeable face w/o the extra luggage of having negative PR. And in fact the Republicans have the right to demonize her for her comments as much as she had the right to say them. Thats free speech in full circle, and slim fast wasnt pressured to drop her they felt like doing it b/c of negative publicity that she recieved b/c of these comments. The republicans criticized her for her comments they did not try to censor her at all. Do you prefer the republicans say nothing against this personal assault that whoopi took on the president? Obviously not. No party did anything illegal here. Whoopi can say what she wants, the republicans can express themselves to media however they please as protected by the 1st amendment, and slim fast can hire or fire whoever they want, AND in fact you do not know the terms of whoopi's advertising contracts with slim fast.

460283[/snapback]

:mischief2 I wonder how some of you would feel if HBO dropped Dennis Miller now. He recently made insulting remarks about how Kerry and Edwards are gay in a private event at a Bush Fundraiser... Yes Free Speech goes both ways.

But you know what, you can keep coming back here and try to sugar coat the issue saying that Slim-Fast had the right to fire Whoopie based on that... But the truth is that if it happened to you, you'll be the first in court.

Oh and another thing. Dennis will not get dropped and he'll continue to make his stupid remarks, because Democrats believe in free speech and most liberals don't give a damn what some guy says at a private event for Bush. Liberals live and let live.

Case closed.