Small, Kensing, Cordero to be added to roster

Guest Guest

FloridaMarlins.com

MIAMI -- As Hurricane Frances was twirling its path through South Florida over the weekend -- dumping heavy rains and knocking down trees and power lines -- a number of Marlins were making the best of a difficult situation.

Taking shelter at Pro Player Stadium, they dined on spaghetti and meatballs, played cards, watched TV and even had time for a relaxing sauna.

"We had all the comforts of a country club," quipped Marlins manager Jack McKeon.

Along with a number of players and coaches, McKeon spent three days at Pro Player Stadium as the storm plodded through the state.

The comforting news for the Marlins is all the players and their families made it through the storm in pretty good shape. Many players and coaches lived either in evacuation areas or relatively close to the ocean. Like the rest of South Florida, they experienced loss of power and debris from trees.

Every player, except reliever Billy Koch, was at Monday's 2 p.m. ET workout at the stadium. Koch was excused from the team last week when the Marlins were in New York to tend to personal business at his home in the Tampa Bay area. With Frances creeping through the west coast of Florida, Koch was unable to return to South Florida for the workout. He is expected to be in uniform on Tuesday when the Marlins open a three-game series with the Mets.

Hurricane Frances may have wiped out the three games set for last weekend at Pro Player Stadium, but the Category 2 storm didn't douse away the team's optimism about reaching the postseason.

"This might be a blessing in disguise," McKeon said. "We've overcome obstacles before. If we play the way we've played the last 10 days, we'll be OK."

The layoff comes in the midst of a season-best seven-game winning streak, achieved twice this year.

If the Marlins are to reach the playoffs and have a shot at repeating as World Series champions, they must once again deal with adversity. The three straight rainouts have put the team in a daunting task of playing 30 games over the next 27 days.

And while nothing is official yet, the Marlins are expecting to give up one of their three home games with the Cubs this weekend. A doubleheader is expected on Friday at Wrigley Field, with the Cubs being considered the home team in both contests, even though the extra date originally is a Marlins home game.

"There is precedence," Marlins president David Samson said of losing the home game and the last at-bat. "My prediction would be we are not going to not make the playoffs because of an extra game at Wrigley."

Samson said the Marlins will formally appeal being the visitor for that second game.

"I've gotten information from the Commissioner's office that that has been an appeal that has been denied the previous 10 times," Samson said. "But we're still going to file it."

With the heavy volume of games, the Marlins are making provisions to boost up their pitching staff. On Tuesday, the team will select the contracts of Triple-A Albuquerque right-hander Aaron Small and Class A Jupiter right-hander Logan Kensing, a Texas A&M product who was the team's second-round pick in 2003.

The Marlins are leaning toward starting Kensing on Friday in the second game of the doubleheader at Chicago.

"He has a lot of maturity and we think he can handle it," general manager Admin Beinfest said.

Kensing is being asked to make a tremendous leap, from the Florida State League to taking on a powerful Cubs lineup.

With Jupiter, Kensing was 6-7 with a 2.96 ERA. He pitched 127 2/3 innings, striking out 100 while walking 35.

The right-hander has a 92-94 mph fastball, a slider and a changeup.

Beinfest said Double-A right-hander Trevor Hutchinson also was considered, but his shoulder has been bothering him of late.

Along with adding two pitchers, veteran first baseman/outfielder Wil Cordero will be activated off the disabled list on Tuesday.

The rotation for the week shapes up with A.J. Burnett, Josh Beckett and Ismael Valdez starting the three games against the Mets. Carl Pavano will pitch the first game of Friday's doubleheader. Kensing will toss the second game, and Dontrelle Willis will start Saturday in Chicago.

Willis is available for relief duties Tuesday and Wednesday in the series with the Mets.

Kensing will throw a bullpen session Tuesday at Pro Player Stadium.

"He's got good stuff," pitching coach Wayne Rosenthal said of Kensing. "I saw him in Spring Training. For Chicago, I'm going to try to keep him relaxed. If he is relaxed, he will be fine."

In another change, the time of Thursday's game with the Mets has moved up to 1:05 p.m. ET, instead of 3:05 p.m. ET.

Interesting moves... we'll see what happens to the 40-man roster because of this.

545238[/snapback]

Yeah, we'd have to remove 3 guys now, right? All 3 of these aren't on the active 40 man unless I'm mistaken.

Interesting moves... we'll see what happens to the 40-man roster because of this.

545238[/snapback]

Yeah, we'd have to remove 3 guys now, right? All 3 of these aren't on the active 40 man unless I'm mistaken.

545243[/snapback]

Yeah, Cordero's 60-day DL and the other 2 aren't on it.

"Beinfest said Double-A right-hander Trevor Hutchinson also was considered, but his shoulder has been bothering him of late."

I guess great baseball minds think a like :p , I have to believe Trevor was there first choice. As far as Kensing the kid has very good stuff. I forgot the Texas A&M grad that was with the team last year that raved about Logan saying " this kid has ML stuff right now and good head on his shoulders" I feel good about the selection, but I just hope the kid doesn't get caught up with who he's pitching against...Maddux, Wood, Prior.

Good Luck we'll be watching :thumbup

some info on Kensing for those who dont have a clue who he is

he throws a heavy 9-94mph sinker with "tremendous boring action" out of a 3/4 slot

his slider is sometimes a + pitch but other times is just hangs

he has "Matt Clement-like" movement, has good leadership qualities

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.