Out-of-State Marlins fans

MiRi

Guest FishFanInPA

Thought it would be fun to follow a team from its birth.

570582[/snapback]

Yeah me too.....My grandmother sent me newspapers from Florida before their creation and got very interested in them.

followed the game briefly, but really didn't have a team .. hated the mets & yankees .. kind of liked the expos & As along with a handfull of other teams

at expansion I decided I'd pick one of the teams to follow from their beginning until my end .... the Marlins put a farm team in Elmira, NY which is the closest professional team to where I grew up ... I had access to the team, their info and was hooked

Guest FishFanInPA

Thought it would be fun to follow a team from its birth.

570582[/snapback]

Yep same here, plus I hate the Phillies. Plus my cousin gave me a hat. I know it's nothing but hey i was like 8 :p

570629[/snapback]

I hate the Phillies so much too....although I enjoyed goin to the Vet.....

Lived in Florida for 8 years growing up (from 1980-1988) and all of my family lived in West Palm Beach up until I was a teenager, so I always considered myself a Floridian to some degree...

Anyway, I started really watching baseball at age 6 (1984) after watching a Yankees/Orioles minor league game in Miami and the same day, got Don Mattingly's rookie card in a random pack of Donruss, which was the card to get at the time...so I became a Yankees/Mattingly fan at that point...

Anyways, once the Marlins came around, it gave me a chance to follow a team from birth, so I was a Marlins and Yankees fan from 1993 until Mattingly retired in 1995...after that, I didn't really follow the Yanks anymore and became 100% Marlins fan (I'm probably the only person that followed the Yankees for 10+ years and never saw them get to a World Series)...

My brother stated to watch baseball at the start of the 1997 season. His favourite team were the Mariners (Griffey, A-Rod etc).

So I started to watch aswell and ESPN at the time showed a lot of Marlins games and although I had never heard of them before after I saw my first game on TV (which was a Marlins one thankfully) I said 'I like the Marlins'.

Also I'm a Pisces so I liked the connections with Fish and so on. And that Edgar Renteria shared the same Christian name as me (though I could have said that about the Mariners too).

Lucky they won the WS that year too. :D

Because the Marlins were an expansion team, their minor league farm system also needed to be created. The site chosen for their first AA team was Portland, Maine, only 20-25 minutes from my house. Their first year was in 1994. I can remember going to a game then and seeing Charles Johnson play. I liked the idea of following the players through the system, and that meant a lot of them reached the Marlins. My like for both the Sea Dogs and the Marlins got bigger in 1997, when my family got season tickets to the Sea Dogs games. The Sea Dogs of course are now with the REAL "Evil Empire" (the Red Sox), so I've dropped any good feelings for them now, but I'm still with the Marlins. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.