Marlins discuss Lee-for-Conine deal?

We might have some competition for Conine.

The Baltimore Sun mentions the Dodgers having an interest in Conine to help their anemic offense.

We can give the Orioles a much better deal. The orioles want a young proven 1b, we have Lee, what do the Dodgers have? Also, we have much better prospects than the Dodgers.

Thanks for your insight into the Dodger's farm system. I didn't realize our prospects were much better than theirs. I seem to remember Edcanes mentioning some rather impressive names while they were in the hunt for Mike Lowell. I may be mistaken however.

oh I thought the reason we turned down a Lowell trade with them was because they didn't offer good enough prospects. Correct me if I'm wrong.

your right....

they offered Mota and Beltre

they never really threw in any of their prospects

Thank god for not doing the Lowell for Beltre/Mota deal, that would have been a royal ripoff. Neither player is that good, and Lowell is having a career season, and might finish in the top 5 in the MVP voting if he keeps it up. He won't get past Pujols, though.

I'm a growing Lee fan, especially after his game winning hit in the Philly series and his many run-saving plays at 1B. We in 1 game in Philly if another 1Bman is playing that series. Overall, however, I believe this move has more pros then cons.

Pros for getting Conine: 1) most of the original fans will recognzize his name 2) a bunch of marlins fans count conine as their all-time favorite marlin 3)his contract enables us to have a solid bat/glove hold down the spot until Stokes/Adrian come up 4) clubhouse leadership 5) reasonable contract that wont inhibit us from resigning our core. 6) hes mr. freaking marlin! (my fav player also Admin)

Pros for keeping Derrek: 1) Saves many runs every series with top defense 2) Our 2nd best power hitter with 16HR's 3) gets hot in the 2nd half historically 4)can steal 25 bases/yr

As far as strictly imroving the club I don't believe this deal helps us that much and may even hurt us. If this move his done its a mini-salary dump, but its necessary to sign Lowell/Luis to deals in the off-season.

I'd rather see Cabs in LF then Juan Gone. And Urbina is going to be out of our reach because the Rangers are asking for too much.

a surprise appearance :shifty

haha, wouldn't that be great...i can just picture TH and Len giving the starting line up, "batting fourth, at third, Mike Lowell...followed by Juan Encarnacion playing right and......................JEFF CONINE!!???", haha, the fans would go nuts. It would be hilarious if they pulled the trade off the day before the bobble head night and kept it a secret.........i would love the FO for doing that... :lol :lol :lol :lol :thumbup

Don't the Orioles have Jay Gibbons who can play the outfield and 1B? I am in favor of dealing for Conine, of course. But, can't we do like in 1997, when we traded for Daulton and had Conine already? I am pretty sure the Orioles would love to have some middle-top prospects. You know, like getting Conine and keeping Lee... Conine can play the outfield and could be a possible solution to Cabrera slumping right now. I would prefer that to having Juan Gonzalez, really. Although this solution might be rather expensive I think... :whistle

As for getting Urbina, hell yeah!!! That would be definetely an upgrade over Almanza/Tejera anytime, even if we get Powell. :confused

Mr. Marlin is coming home!!!!!!!! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

He has been very productive with Baltimore this year, and as of late, he has been hitting alot of homers. Gotta love his veteran leadership skills. DLee for Conine....just do it. It's a no-brainer. Conine is a great player and can produce. Even if we must take most of his salary, he is here for two more years after this one, and he doesn't make much more than DLee does right now in those years.