December 12, 200421 yr . Kevin now that the Marlins have set their right handed needs in the bullpen what lefty might be available to fill in the need. The two most prominent names mentioned have been Jason Christiansen and Steve Kline Kevin Baxter 12/11/04 I didn't think we'd pay good money for a reliever, but maybe they are willing to do so. :o
December 12, 200421 yr If they've got enough to spend, go get Steve Kline. I'd rather see the money spent on a bat at this point though.
December 12, 200421 yr I would go for Steve Kline if we have enough money too. And I wouldn't go for Jason.
December 12, 200421 yr Kline wouldn't be a bad pickup, but will probably prove too costly... A guy I'd like to see Beinfest go after is Damaso Marte. The White Sox, from what i've read, have him on the block with younger options available to them (Cotts, others). He didn't have a great year last season...but still solid. He's a strikeout machine, too.
December 12, 200421 yr I'd like Kline, but if we can't get him, I'd like to see them go after Chris Hammond.
December 12, 200421 yr Kline wouldn't be a bad pickup, but will probably prove too costly... A guy I'd like to see Beinfest go after is Damaso Marte. The White Sox, from what i've read, have him on the block with younger options available to them (Cotts, others). He didn't have a great year last season...but still solid. He's a strikeout machine, too. 633323[/snapback] yea but what would we have to give up to get him?
December 12, 200421 yr Kline wouldn't be a bad pickup, but will probably prove too costly... A guy I'd like to see Beinfest go after is Damaso Marte. The White Sox, from what i've read, have him on the block with younger options available to them (Cotts, others). He didn't have a great year last season...but still solid. He's a strikeout machine, too. 633323[/snapback] we'd have to give up the farm for him though
December 12, 200421 yr I'd like Kline, but if we can't get him, I'd like to see them go after Chris Hammond. 633330[/snapback] Chris Hammond is a decent pitcher, but not a very good "lefty" specialist. If you look at his splits from the last 3 years, he hasn't been much more effective vs lefties than vs righties. But as a MR he's not a bad pickup. from ESPN.com, his splits vs left and right last 3 yrs: vs right: AVG - .242 OBP - .300 SLG - .359 OPS - .659 vs left: AVG - .246 OBP - .285 SLG - .341 OPS - .626
December 12, 200421 yr Kline would be a great pickup.. Could you image a bullpen with the personalities of Kline and Jones.. those guys would probably kill eachother before the season is over. lol
December 12, 200421 yr Mota Spooney Alfonseca Jones Kline/Perisho/? Bump/Howard Defintely better than the pen we started last year with. A lot more depth. Last year it was Mando and Fox and not much of anything else.
December 12, 200421 yr Mota Spooney Alfonseca Jones Kline/Perisho/? Bump/Howard Defintely better than the pen we started last year with. A lot more depth. Last year it was Mando and Fox and not much of anything else. 633350[/snapback] i rather have: Mota Alfonseca Spooney Jones Kline Perisho/Phelps/Grecesqui/any other lefty they bring in to compete Bump/Howard/Hutchinson/any else they can bring who can eat up innings IMO extra lefty in the pen> Harris
December 12, 200421 yr Kline wouldn't be a bad pickup, but will probably prove too costly... A guy I'd like to see Beinfest go after is Damaso Marte. The White Sox, from what i've read, have him on the block with younger options available to them (Cotts, others). He didn't have a great year last season...but still solid. He's a strikeout machine, too. 633323[/snapback] we'd have to give up the farm for him though 633341[/snapback] I don't think so...he's a good reliever, but not someone worthy of "giving up the farm" for. A good prospect should do...and maybe even Encarnacion..depending on what happens with Carlos Lee. Enc could become a 25-30 HR guy with good speed and great D in that park.
December 12, 200421 yr I had to post this somewhere - In the "you think we have problems" dept: The Blue Jays have no interest in signing Japanese reliever Denny Tomori after working him out yesterday. Said GM J.P. Ricciardi, "Any time you have 87-year-old Bobby Mattick asking for a bat, that's a good time to pass." Dec. 12 - 3:10 pm et Source: Toronto Sun
December 12, 200421 yr I had to post this somewhere - In the "you think we have problems" dept: The Blue Jays have no interest in signing Japanese reliever Denny Tomori after working him out yesterday. Said GM J.P. Ricciardi, "Any time you have 87-year-old Bobby Mattick asking for a bat, that's a good time to pass." Dec. 12 - 3:10 pm et Source: Toronto Sun 633397[/snapback] not sure I understand what is going on
December 12, 200421 yr I had to post this somewhere - In the "you think we have problems" dept: The Blue Jays have no interest in signing Japanese reliever Denny Tomori after working him out yesterday. Said GM J.P. Ricciardi, "Any time you have 87-year-old Bobby Mattick asking for a bat, that's a good time to pass." Dec. 12 - 3:10 pm et Source: Toronto Sun 633397[/snapback] not sure I understand what is going on 633399[/snapback] I guess Mattick thought he could get a hit off of Tomori. Tomori sucks. Had like a 4+ ERA in Japan and he's like 36 or something.
December 12, 200421 yr I had to post this somewhere - In the "you think we have problems" dept: The Blue Jays have no interest in signing Japanese reliever Denny Tomori after working him out yesterday. Said GM J.P. Ricciardi, "Any time you have 87-year-old Bobby Mattick asking for a bat, that's a good time to pass." Dec. 12 - 3:10 pm et Source: Toronto Sun 633397[/snapback] not sure I understand what is going on 633399[/snapback] I guess Mattick thought he could get a hit off of Tomori. Tomori sucks. Had like a 4+ ERA in Japan and he's like 36 or something. 633401[/snapback] gotcha
December 12, 200421 yr Kline would be a great pickup for the marls pen, but i assume the FO won't be willing to pay much, therefore the chance of actually signing him would probably be minimal.
December 12, 200421 yr Kline is a dominant lefty specialist, and i'd love to have him but i'd rather have a lefty power hitter
December 12, 200421 yr Kline is a dominant lefty specialist, and i'd love to have him but i'd rather have a lefty power hitter 633490[/snapback] Yeah, but when that lefty power hitter gets you a 2 run lead going into the bottom of the 7th and you have Bobby Abreu and Jim Thome coming up with 2 men on, who are you gonna give the ball to?
December 12, 200421 yr I'd get Steve Kline. He was very good for St.Louis. He eats up alot of innings. Go Get em Beinfest
December 12, 200421 yr Kline is a dominant lefty specialist, and i'd love to have him but i'd rather have a lefty power hitter 633490[/snapback] Yeah, but when that lefty power hitter gets you a 2 run lead going into the bottom of the 7th and you have Bobby Abreu and Jim Thome coming up with 2 men on, who are you gonna give the ball to? 633509[/snapback] perisho!
December 12, 200421 yr perisho! 633522[/snapback] I like Perisho. I think he's good against lefties... They just can't leave him out for there for more than 1 inning, which is fine with me... If we can't get Kline, I'm fine with good ol Matt. I was just playing Devil's Advocate with the left power vs lefty reliever scenario... Although, I do think we could use one more lefty in the bullpen, in addition to a left handed hitter.
December 13, 200421 yr We do not need any more bullpen help, we've already spent too much money on the bullpen.
December 13, 200421 yr We do not need any more bullpen help, we've already spent too much money on the bullpen. 633536[/snapback] We only have one lefty in the bullpen, as of right now. And I don't think Gracesqui is the answer... Another lefty would definitely be a plus.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.