Marlin Signings

Ismael Valdez - S - FLA

Marlins re-signed RHP Ismael Valdez to a one-year contract.

Valdez won 14 games last season, but he did so with a 5.19 ERA while working in pitcher's parks. He was 5-3 with a 4.50 ERA after being acquired from the Padres. Expect him to remain the Marlins' fifth starter, joining A.J. Burnett, Josh Beckett, Al Leiter and Dontrelle Willis in the rotation. He probably isn't an option in NL-only leagues. Jan. 6 - 3:32 pm et

John Riedling - R - FLA

Marlins signed RHP John Riedling, who had been with the Reds, to a one-year, $750,000 contract.

Riedling, who agreed to the deal before Christman, will join Guillermo Mota, Antonio Alfonseca, Todd Jones and Tim Spooneybarger in the Florida pen. That should leave two spots for Nate Bump, Ben Howard, Justin Wayne, Chad Bentz and Rule 5 pick Luke Hagerty. The team still might add a left-hander.

I think having a number five starter under contract may be an asset to the FO if they want to continue shopping for an upgrade or are looking to do a trade later on.

Let's face it, until we had a full complement of starting pitchers we were negotiating (with FA agents and other teams) from a position of weakness.

(edit)

This may also be a move towards bringing Burnett into the fold longterm. By minimizing the cost of our fifth guy it may free up some bucks to put towards keeping AJ around for a few years.

All in all good move.

I think Valdez will be a big part of our season. He had 14 wins last year.....who else had that? (5 of those wins came with us BTW)

649191[/snapback]

maybe carl pavano :whistle

649205[/snapback]

Exactly, Valdez quietly won as many games as Pavano in 2004 between the Padres and Marlins...two good defensive teams, but also two very streaky offensive teams.

So this seems like the team we have now will be the team we will have going into the season.

Same 1-8.

Basically same rotation, Al instead of Pavs, downgrade because Al won't do what Pavy did last year.

Bullpen is a wash. We were the middle of the road last year, and this year the 9th won't be a sure thing with whoever we decide should be the closer. The 7 and 8th should be better, but if one of these guys go down or Spooney doesn't come back healthy we might be an arm or two short.

Does this team really excite anyone?

So this seems like the team we have now will be the team we will have going into the season.

Same 1-8.

Basically same rotation, Al instead of Pavs, downgrade because Al won't do what Pavy did last year.

Bullpen is? a wash.? We were the middle of the road last year, and this year the 9th won't be a sure thing with whoever we decide should be the closer.? The 7 and 8th should be better, but if one of these guys go down or Spooney doesn't come back healthy we might be an arm or two short.

649218[/snapback]

Valdez is a solid 5th starter, so no problems with this signing. Certainly is better than the prospect of Wayne or Bump as the #5.

I don't necessarily agree with the notion that this starting 5 is worse than last year. Hopefully we will have a healthy Beckett, a stronger AJ, a more consistent Dontrelle. Those pluses should more than make up for the difference between Pavs and Leiter. And Valdez will be an upgrade over Oliver or whatever other AAAA pitcher they might throw in there.

Same 1-8.

Bullpen is a wash. We were the middle of the road last year, and this year the 9th won't be a sure thing with whoever we decide should be the closer. The 7 and 8th should be better, but if one of these guys go down or Spooney doesn't come back healthy we might be an arm or two short.

649218[/snapback]

Only way I see this team going to the playoffs, is if Cabs explodes and has an MVP type season, and Sea Bass and Enc put up respectable numbers.

right now I'm not too optimistic, all I can hope is that we start off well so were in it come trade deadline time, and Beinfest can make moves like he did in 2003. (Ugy, and Conine) and not like he did in 2004.

I'm still a lil bitter about letting mando go, but hopefully aj and josh can have a healthy season and al can avg more then 5 innings...

IF we make the playoffs though, i think aj and josh can carry this team deep into the post season. i just hope our pen can be solid through out the whole season. if so, i think this team will be in good shape.

Same 1-8.

649218[/snapback]

nope,i think this team is very boring looking right now and if they win 80 it will be a good season....