Phillies vs. Marlins -- Game 2 @ 7:05 PM

CapeFish

-- vs.--

Wolf (0-0, 4.50) ------ vs. ------ Burnett (0-1, 3.00)

Time: 7:05 PM EDT

Place: Dolphins Stadium - Miami, Florida

TV: FSN, CN8

Radio: WQAM 560, WQBA 1140 (Sp.), WPHT 1210, WPWA 1590 (Sp.)

Burnett, Marlins look to cool off Phillies

04/12/2005 12:28 AM ET

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

If the current trend holds true, the Marlins are in line for a big offensive performance on Tuesday.

After dropping a 4-1 decision to the Phillies on Monday, the Marlins remain on a pattern of scoring in bunches one night and being shut down the next. In their three wins, they have outscored the opposition, 26-0. But in their four losses, the Marlins have yielded 13 runs, while scoring just six.

The Marlins send A.J. Burnett to the mound in hopes of evening their record.

Traditionally, Burnett has struggled against the Phillies. The Arkansas native holds a career record of 2-4 with a 3.81 ERA against Philadelphia.

The Marlins are hoping to maintain their success against Phillies left-hander Randy Wolf, who is 2-10 with a 5.74 ERA against Florida.

Wolf especially has difficulties with the Marlins' speedy top two hitters, Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo. Pierre is 10-for-22 (.455) and Castillo is 16-for-38 (.421), including a home run, off the left-hander.

Pitching matchup

PHI: LHP Randy Wolf

? 0-0, 4.50 ERA in 2005

? 0-1, 7.20 ERA vs. FLA in 2004

FLA: RHP A.J. Burnett

? 0-1, 3.00 ERA in 2005

? 1-1, 2.45 ERA vs. PHI in 2004

Players to watch

With the Blue Jays, Carlos Delgado had some Interleague experience against the Phillies. The slugger had a pair of doubles and was hit by a pitch Monday before flying out to left field. ... Although Castillo has been effective against Wolf, the switch-hitting second baseman is struggling this season. After going 0-for-3 on Monday, Castillo is 2-for-21 (.095) on the season. Damion Easley pinch-hit for Castillo in the eighth inning Monday.

Quotable

"He's all right, he's been hitting for seven or eight years. Nobody likes to go through it at the beginning of the year, because when you look up at the scoreboard, it's like .100 or whatever it was. I've been through that before. Last year, I think I was hitting .200 eight or nine games into the year. You go through those stretches. When you get more at-bats, it won't look as bad to the fans or everyone. But he will be fine." -- Pierre on Castillo's slow start

Quick hits

Miguel Cabrera fouled a ball off the instep of his left ankle Monday. He hobbled a bit in the outfield, but said he will be fine. ... Pat Burrell has been on fire for the Phillies, homering in three straight games. Against Burnett, the left fielder is batting .238 (5-for-21) with a home run. ... Castillo and Alex Gonzalez have turned seven double plays, increasing their career total to 296. That's the most for any active DP combination in the Majors. ... Al Leiter, who threw 114 pitches in five innings Monday, went 5 2/3 innings in his first start. On that day, a no-decision against the Braves, Leiter tossed 95 pitches. ... Bobby Abreu swiped three bases off the Marlins, his first three of the season. ... Reliever John Riedling threw 12 minutes in the bullpen Monday and he is scheduled to throw a rehab assignment with the Class A Jupiter Hammerheads in Jupiter on Thursday.

On deck

? Wednesday: vs. Phillies, 7:05 p.m. ET

? Thursday: off

? Friday: at Mets, 7:10 p.m. ET

Yahoo! Sports Game Preview

Florida might no longer be a dreaded stop for the Philadelphia Phillies as long as Pat Burrell keeps swinging a hot bat.

After taking the opener of this three-game series, the Phillies will look for more success against the Marlins at Pro Player Stadium.

The Phillies had lost 14 straight in Florida before sweeping the Marlins from Sept. 21-23 last season. Philadelphia extended that win streak at Pro Player to four with Monday's 4-1 victory.

Burrell, who was named NL Player of the Week on Monday, hit a two-run homer as the Phillies won their third in a row overall.

Burrell's fourth homer gave him 17 RBIs, most in the major leagues and five shy of the team record for April, set by Von Hayes in 1989. Burrell is batting .448 with a slugging percentage of .966. The left fielder has a homer in his past three games, and his streak of at least one RBI in seven consecutive games is a career best.

``Twenty-five more weeks like that, and we'll be in really good shape,'' Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said.

Burrell has six homers and 31 RBIs in 41 career games in Florida.

``He's hotter than a firecracker,'' Marlins manager Jack McKeon said of Burrell. ``You've got to pitch accordingly. Guys that are hot, you've got to use your head and keep the ball away from them.''

A.J. Burnett, who starts for Florida on Tuesday, has limited Burrell to a career .238 (5-for-21) average with one homer and three RBIs.

Burnett lost his season debut on Thursday, a 4-2 decision at home, giving up two runs and seven hits over six innings. The left-hander was 6-0 with a 2.80 ERA at home last season.

The Marlins, who had outscored opponents 26-0 in their three victories, could manage only unearned run on Monday.

Juan Encarnacion, who hit his second grand slam of the season on Sunday, was 0-for-3.

Second baseman Luis Castillo was also 0-for-3 and is hitless in his last 20 at-bats. Castillo's average fell to .095.

``We need somebody who can hit the ball,'' McKeon said. We've got to get some offense somewhere.''

Stat of the Day:

Juan Encarnacion vs. Randy Wolf (Career):

3 HR, 8 RBI, .385 AVG (13 AB)

We better hit Wolf hard tonight: Look at the career stats....

Wolf vs. FLA (2-10) 5.74 ERA

Pierre (10-22) .455, 2 doubles

Castillo (16-38) .421, 3 doubles, triple, HOMER

Cabrera (4-9) .444, double

Delgado (2-6) .333, double

Lowell (9-33) .273, 2 doubles, HOMER

LoDuca (2-10) .200, HOMER

Encarnacion (5-13) .385, 2 doubles, 3 HOMERS

Gonzalez (7-27) .259, 4 doubles

If we don't hit Wolf then I will start to wonder about our offense.

We better hit Wolf hard tonight: Look at the career stats....

Wolf vs. FLA (2-10) 5.74 ERA

Pierre (10-22) .455, 2 doubles

Castillo (16-38) .421, 3 doubles, triple, HOMER

Cabrera (4-9) .444, double

Delgado (2-6) .333, double

Lowell (9-33) .273, 2 doubles, HOMER

LoDuca (2-10) .200, HOMER

Encarnacion (5-13) .385, 2 doubles, 3 HOMERS

Gonzalez (7-27) .259, 4 doubles

If we don't hit Wolf then I will start to wonder about our offense.

739307[/snapback]

Also, Conine has 2 HOMERS off of Wolf in only 10 ABs. Lenny Harris is 1-1 too. :thumbup

So far the Marlins are 3-4. We have three wins, all of which are shut-outs (9-0, 9-0, and 8-0). Two of the wins are by Josh Beckett, his era is 0.00. In both of the games that Josh Beckett has pitched Juan Encarnacion has hit a grand slam.

CAN'T WAIT TILL JOSH PITCHES AGAIN!!!!!!!

:notworthy

739311[/snapback]

We better win before that. I have a feeling that AJ will pitch well tonight. Beckett's next outing will be against Pedro.

So far the Marlins are 3-4. We have three wins, all of which are shut-outs (9-0, 9-0, and 8-0). Two of the wins are by Josh Beckett, his era is 0.00. In both of the games that Josh Beckett has pitched Juan Encarnacion has hit a grand slam.

CAN'T WAIT TILL JOSH PITCHES AGAIN!!!!!!!

:notworthy

739311[/snapback]

We better win before that. I have a feeling that AJ will pitch well tonight. Beckett's next outing will be against Pedro.

739316[/snapback]

Actually, it won't. Josh is pitching on Friday, and Pedro is pitching on Saturday. I might go to the Friday game.

Hey Cape, I wanted to start a game thread :chair

739213[/snapback]

It's a long season, I'm sure you'll have an opportunity or two

739216[/snapback]

;)

Maybe tomorrow :thumbup

739221[/snapback]

Hope not.

(Game thread forum rules: if a person starts a thread and the game ends with a Marlin victory, they have first dibs on the next day's thread)

Hey Cape, I wanted to start a game thread :chair

739213[/snapback]

It's a long season, I'm sure you'll have an opportunity or two

739216[/snapback]

;)

Maybe tomorrow :thumbup

739221[/snapback]

Hope not.

(Game thread forum rules: if a person starts a thread and the game ends with a Marlin victory, they have first dibs on the next day's thread)

739427[/snapback]

Oh Okay.... I guess I wont be starting one for a long time ;)