Number three starter

gobucks

Assuming the above plays out and we are able to get the budget under control by trading pierre and/or lowell who do we think would make a good fit for the number three starter? Keep in mind we will be tight on the dollars.

I really think Scott Elarton would be a good fit. He is now fullty recovered from his arm troubles and would be great in JRS. I bet he could be had for a two year deal 4 mill then 5 mil.

Let's start talking about who might be on this team next year rather than who will not be.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, and you might see that rotation in 2007, but expecting three rookies (yeah, yeah I know Vargas pitched some last season), these kids to go out and throw 200 innings each next season is A) much more than can be reasonably expected from kids who threw between 100 (Olsen) and 150 (Johnson) last season and B) is the quickest way I can think of to run a shuttle bus to Dr. Andrews' Tommy John surgery clinic.

We have all the starting pitching we need. Moehler is pretty good and he'd have alot more wins if he got more run support. I actually remember a game where HE knocked in the only two Marlin runs in a losing effort.

Moehler is a F/A so you can't count on him as an automatic.

Hopefully though we get him locked up quickly.

If we're running a tight budget team, I don't see any reason to not expect Olsen Vargas and Johnson to be in the rotation. Beinfest is on record as saying that the organization feels all three can be contributors at the major league level, right now.

A couple of free agent names that intrigue me are Jarrod Washburn and Tony Armas Jr...but I don't know where either of those would fall price wise, and either would likely fall out of our budgetary range. I'd suspect that Kevin Brown, Paul Byrd, Jose Lima, Aaron Sele or Pedro Astacio are more likely to be the names we look at, but with this front office, you never know.

Guest markotsay7

1- Willis

2- Beckett

3- Vargas

4- Johnson

5- Olsen

willis is the ace without a doubt

I wouldn't be completely sure of that. Depends on ST, honestly. Plus, starting him as the number 2 starter gives him a chance to start the home opener.

I have a suspicion the Cardinals will let Morris go, trade Marquis, and sign Sele as the 4 or 5 starter.

And if we give anything but a passing glance and a chuckle to Kevin Brown and Jose Lima our FO are morons.

Kevin Brown would get owned by a sub par little league team at this point in his career

Jose Lima couldn't pitch in stress free KC...how would he do when fans(albeit not many at the game) demand success out of the Fish?

Not to rain on anyone's parade, and you might see that rotation in 2007, but expecting three rookies (yeah, yeah I know Vargas pitched some last season), these kids to go out and throw 200 innings each next season is A) much more than can be reasonably expected from kids who threw between 100 (Olsen) and 150 (Johnson) last season and B) is the quickest way I can think of to run a shuttle bus to Dr. Andrews' Tommy John surgery clinic.

We have all the starting pitching we need. Moehler is pretty good and he'd have alot more wins if he got more run support. I actually remember a game where HE knocked in the only two Marlin runs in a losing effort.

Moehler is a F/A so you can't count on him as an automatic.

Hopefully though we get him locked up quickly.

I'm pretty sure they might take him back, he could be a great releif pitcher for the BP possibly securing 2 innings a game in desperate situations

Tony Armas Jr or Brett Tomko.

I tend to give rookies the benefit of the doubt, but three first or second-year players in a rotation is nuts. With Beckett's past injury history, a new coaching staff and bonus baby attitudes, we can't afford to just stick with in-house options. Stock up on those minor league free agents for spring training too.

I like Moehler in the long relief/ emergency starter role more then in the rotation, he is a year older and seemed to break down some when the innings started to pile on

He got tired because he hadn't pitched more than 150 innings since like 2001 or 2002. I think he can handle it this coming year.

You could also say he just overachieved in the first half and regressed back to the below average major league pitcher that he has been since 2001.

I have no faith in him and I'd rather have one of the wunder-kids in the rotation than Moehler.

I have a suspicion the Cardinals will let Morris go, trade Marquis, and sign Sele as the 4 or 5 starter.

And if we give anything but a passing glance and a chuckle to Kevin Brown and Jose Lima our FO are morons.

Kevin Brown would get owned by a sub par little league team at this point in his career

Jose Lima couldn't pitch in stress free KC...how would he do when fans(albeit not many at the game) demand success out of the Fish?

I think those thoughts reflect the opinion that people had about guys like Armando Benitez and Todd Jones before we signed them. Kevin Brown I don't think will be back for any club. Jose Lima is worthy of getting a chance, after all he didn't do that bad last year with the Dodgers. But last year with the royals was really atrocious so i am skeptical. For a really low salary i would give him a shot though, that's if there was really nothing else to sign.