Twins hot for Mike Lowell

Ralph

Word within baseball circles is that the Twins are trying to trade with the Florida Marlins for third baseman Mike Lowell.

The Twins, though, want the Marlins to pick up a good part of the $16 million that Lowell, 31, is guaranteed for the next two years. The Twins are expected to offer pitching (Kyle Lohse, J.C. Romero and/or Scott Baker) and could make a deal by the second week in December. The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Lowell is the Marlins' highest-salaried player. Retaining Lohse would cost the Twins about $4 million for next season.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/s...rs/13214471.htm

I like Scott Baker and JC Romero and if they do this they can keep Beckett of if they insist in trading him they can get kings ransom for him.

As long as some team is willing to discuss Lowell as an individual entity and not part of a "package" it'd be irresponsible of the Marlins to give away Beckett to get rid of Lowell until this avenue is completely exhausted.

That's exactly how I feel. If we can unload JUST Lowell for anyone decent, I say take it and run.

Baker, Romero and Lohse for Lowell? I think this is to good to be true even if we have to lets say pick up 80% of Lowell salary. If this offer is really true and we don't accept it then I believe indeed are heading for another firesale like 1997. I doubt its true though but if it is I say trade Loduca, Pierre, Mota and Delgado if needed to clear salary and then cover 80% of Lowell salary and get a excellent package like this where all three players help us out for the upcoming season. Most importantly keep Beckett!!!!!!!!!

1) Dontrelle Willis

2) Josh Beckett

3) Kyle Lohse- just cause he can eat up innings and is a veteran

4-5 Let Vargas, Olsen, Johnson, and Baker battle it out

Bullpen

LHP J.C Romero

LHP Ron Villone- hope he is traded, like Mota

RHP Chris Resop

RHP Randy Messenger

rest of pen can come from cheapr free agent signing's or trades.

FWIW, Baker is 23, and much closer to being major league ready than Diamond or Danks. He doesn't have the projectable frame of Diamond or Danks, but he has very good minor league numbers, and he's probably more rotation ready than Johnson or Olsen.

Here are his numbers:

2004 Club (Class) W L ERA G GS CG SV IP H HR BB SO AVG

Fort Myers (Hi A) 4 2 2.40 7 7 0 0 45 40 1 6 37 .233

New Britain (AA) 5 3 2.43 10 10 2 0 70 44 2 13 72 .173

Rochester (AAA) 1 3 4.97 9 9 0 0 54 65 3 15 36 .295

And his scouting report (from last season):

SCOTT BAKER, rhp Age: 23 B-T: R-R Ht: 6-4 Wt: 215

Drafted: Oklahoma State, 2003 (2nd round) Signed by: Gregg Miller

Background: Baker reached Triple-A 13 months after signing. In his first full season, he started the Hall of Fame game for the Twins, who named him their minor league pitcher of the year. He continued to build on his success with a strong Arizona Fall League performance.

Strengths: Baker pitches at 91-93 mph with sink and occasionally reaches 95. He has plus fastball command, an advanced changeup and a smooth delivery. He also throws a quick-breaking slider and a knuckle-curve. He has an outstanding work ethic and is one of the most focused, intense prospects in the system.

Weaknesses: Though he?s polished, Baker doesn?t have a true out pitch and already is close to his ceiling. He projects as a No. 3 or 4 starter. He struggled in Triple-A, so he needs to prove he can maintain his stuff over a full season and get more advanced hitters out.

The Future: Baker could get a chance to make Minnesota?s rotation in spring training. He may need a few more starts in Triple-A before he?s ready.

If that Twins deal is true, it's almost too good to believe, even if we have to eat some of Lowell's contract.

Baker, Romero and Lohse for Lowell? I think this is to good to be true even if we have to lets say pick up 80% of Lowell salary. If this offer is really true and we don't accept it then I believe indeed are heading for another firesale like 1997. I doubt its true though but if it is I say trade Loduca, Pierre, Mota and Delgado if needed to clear salary and then cover 80% of Lowell salary and get a excellent package like this where all three players help us out for the upcoming season. Most importantly keep Beckett!!!!!!!!!

1) Dontrelle Willis

2) Josh Beckett

3) Kyle Lohse- just cause he can eat up innings and is a veteran

4-5 Let Vargas, Olsen, Johnson, and Baker battle it out

Bullpen

LHP J.C Romero

LHP Ron Villone- hope he is traded, like Mota

RHP Chris Resop

RHP Randy Messenger

rest of pen can come from cheapr free agent signing's or trades.

I want to add to my lasy post Romero and Lohse salry combine after arbritration will likely be7 million but we can always not offer them arbitration and let them become free agents or just trade them somewhere immediately or later on in the year and still keep Baker.

Also, it is important to remember that the Twins' players contracts would be up after the 2006 season, while Lowell's runs through 2007. If we're rebuilding, doing the trade with Lowell and finding a taker for Pierre and sending Mota and LoDuca to the Rockies would attain salary relief to the $50 million range, and dealing Delgado would bring us down to $40.

It lets the payroll bottom out, the fans get disgusted, but it lets the Las Vegas Jackpots build around Beckett, Willis and Cabrera.

this trade will not happen unless a third team is involved because neither the Twins nor the Marlins want to pay Lowell's contract.

Marlins have said they would pay part of his deal, even in the Beckett scenario (so help me God, Beinfest).

I think the bigger key to this trade (assuming Willis and Beckett stay) is finding a taker for Lohse.

this trade will not happen unless a third team is involved because neither the Twins nor the Marlins want to pay Lowell's contract.

Marlins have said they would pay part of his deal, even in the Beckett scenario (so help me God, Beinfest).

I think the bigger key to this trade (assuming Willis and Beckett stay) is finding a taker for Lohse.

You all know that Lohse and Romero don't have contracts so that means all we have to do is not offer them arbritration and they are free agenst and we don't pay a dime.

You all know that Lohse and Romero don't have contracts so that means all we have to do is not offer them arbritration and they are free agenst and we don't pay a dime.

Well then I've got a new favorite trade.