Rosenthal: Castillo could be next Marlin traded

MarlinatPenn

Castillo could be next Marlin traded

Story Tools: Print Email XML

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com

Posted: 2 minutes ago

The Marlins, continuing their efforts to trade high-salaried players, are in serious discussions with the Twins about second baseman Luis Castillo, FOXSports.com has learned.

Castillo is due to earn $5 million next season, then become a free agent. His .370 career on-base percentage would make him a good fit for the Twins, who were 10th in the American League in that department last season. The Twins also place a strong emphasis on defense, and Castillo is a two-time Gold Glove winner.

The Marlins need bullpen help ? they're expected to lose free-agent closer Todd Jones and recently traded setup man Guillermo Mota to the Red Sox. The Twins are deep in pitching prospects. They also could offer the Marlins a low-cost veteran reliever ? either left-hander J.C. Romero at $2.2 million or right-hander Juan Rincon at $900,000.

The biggest question with Castillo is his health ? his stolen-base totals have declined from 48 to 21 to 21 to 10 over the past four seasons, prompting one scout to observe, "His burst is gone."

Castillo, a three-time All-Star, probably will not be the last Marlin traded. Catcher Paul LoDuca is drawing interest from the Padres, Diamondbacks and Rockies, while center fielder Juan Pierre is on the wish list of the Cubs and several other clubs.

Ken Rosenthal is the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com.

Ok, guys....please understand something.

LUIS CASTILLO isn't going anywhere.

i knew i wouldnt trust that statement from LeftyCastillo until the regular season started. this shouldnt be a shock at all. like ferry said if we get good players in return good. we def could use some bullpen help in return

I think Castillo's definitely lost that "burst" as they put it because of his nagging hamstring and hip injuries, but he plays through it like a warrior and still hits .300 and gets on base and plays incredible defense... I think Romero and Rincon are both probably too expensive for the Marlins' tastes.

Guest FishFanInPA

Luis would be a tremendous loss for the team....If they deal him and JP I wil have a hard time rooting for a shell of a team that is the Marlins.

I was going to post this as a separate thread but since this one's already started one on the same subject here goes:

Realizing I may need a bulletproof vest when I go out in public if I continue to scheme a way to jettison Luis Castillo's $12.75 million, two year contract obligation, I'm back for another try. But this one, if truth be told, wasn't the product of my fertile imagination, rather Chris De Luca, staff reporter for the Chicago Sun-Times, who writes...

"It sounds greedy now, but landing a stronger No. 2 hitter should remain a priority for the (White) Sox. By the end of spring training last March, it was evident No. 2 hitter Tadahito Iguchi didn't arrive in the States with the speed advertised on his scouting reports from Japan.

Landing Juan Pierre from the Marlins would give the Sox more speed at the top of the lineup and put a veteran in center field to replace Aaron Rowand, who was dealt to the Phillies last week to acquire Jim Thome as the new designated hitter and the needed left-handed power bat.

But the Marlins might be just as interested in dealing former Gold Glove second baseman Luis Castillo. Though he doesn't have the same speed as Pierre -- the switch-hitting Castillo's thefts dropped from a career high of 62 in 2000 to 10 last season thanks to a bum left hip that required surgery before the 2003 season -- he is a quality No. 2 hitter who would be the perfect complement to the Sox' recharged lineup.

The cost-conscious Marlins are looking to cut salary. Pierre made $3.4 million in 2005 and is eligible for arbitration. Castillo is entering the final year of a three-year, $16 million contract and will earn $5 million in 2006 (edit note: and $5.75 million more if his option year kicks in, which would occur if he gets 400 ABs or more, not to mention his $2,000,000 bonus which is still due). Iguchi will earn $2.4 million in '06, with a club option worth $3.25 million for 2007 or a buyout of $250,000. All attractive numbers to the Marlins."

(parenthetical thoughts in the body of the quote above are mine, not the author)

Believing that at least one more high-priced player has to go if the Marlins have any hope of fielding a competitive team in '06 via the free agent route, Castillo is potentially more expensive than anyone else - and that the Marlins would gain alot of defensive flexibility if they opted for Pablo Ozuna instead of Easley - it seems to me there is a deal to be made here.

Unless you think Castillo will have less than 400 ABs in '06 (inwhich case why would you want him anyways at $5+mil??) trading Castillo to the White Sox for Iguchi and Ozuna gets you get more doubles, triples, homeruns, rbis and steals for less money with no obligation for '07, unless you choose to. And with pitching shaping up the way it is, this team is going to have to score more runs to even have the appearance of being competitive.

As for trading Castillo for pitching, well that's great if there's a plan B at second base (Grudz, Graff, Aurilia, fillintheblank) but if the White Sox have an interest, we should be talking to them too.

Luis will be the last to be traded if that occurs.

I fully expect Pierre gone and I will not be surprised to see Paulie go also...if only to give him a shot at a winner which he deserves.

As long as we would get a catcher in return for one of these two or trade one of our 20 million minor league arms for one we would be fine.

My favorite Marlin. It almost makes sense because by the time we are ready to compete again (2-3yrs?..sooner) Louey will be in the decline phases for slap hitters. Who knows though, if he continues to display excellent plate discipline he could last longer. I'd much rather see Pierre dealt and Lo Duca/Castillo retained, unless we are blown away by an offer. Our payroll is already manageable according to ownership goals.

Just to throw out a name, Michael Cuddyer plays second base and had an OBP of .330 with 12 HRs in 122 games. He's going into his fifth year, so he's arbitration-eligible. He made $347,500 last year.

Also Jesse Crain had an ERA of 2.71 with a WHIP of 1.13 and a BAA of .219. He supposedly can reach 100mph... He's entering his second year.

Id much rather see Duca stay to help mold the young pitching staff we field this season. I do not trust Treanors ability to handle pitchers and game calling skills.

And I do not think Luis will be here next season either. Not sure if LeftyCastillo is just trying to keep up some major hope or what.

Just to throw out a name, Michael Cuddyer plays second base and had an OBP of .330 with 12 HRs in 122 games. He's going into his fifth year, so he's arbitration-eligible. He made $347,500 last year.

Also Jesse Crain had an ERA of 2.71 with a WHIP of 1.13 and a BAA of .219. He supposedly can reach 100mph... He's entering his second year.

There is no way the Twins part with Crain. No way. But thats okay cause there farm system is very deep. Something realsitic for Castillo is Boof Bonser or J.D Durbin and Travis Bowyer who are all ready to pitch in the big League's and have upside.

There is no way the Twins part with Crain. No way. But thats okay cause there farm system is very deep. Something realsitic for Castillo is Boof Bonser or J.D Durbin and Travis Bowyer who are all ready to pitch in the big League's and have upside.

good info, thanks... how do you know so much about the Twins?

good info, thanks... how do you know so much about the Twins?

I have been a member of Baseball America for the past 3 years and I know alot about each team minor league system + im always up to date on up and coming players. Durbin has top of rotation stuff and a ++arm. He has reach triple digits before and when Dontrelle Willis tore up the Midwest League in 2002 Durbin was ranked ahead of him by the managers which tells you how good his stuff is and can possibily be. Bonser was part of the famous and most lob sided trade in the history of baseball. Joe Nathan, Boof Bonser, and as a throw in Fransico Liriano. Anyways Bonser has a bad body by that I mean overweight he's around 260-270 so scouts question his work ethic but he's stuff is good. He has a hammer curve and a low to mid 90 fastball. Bowyer was ready to pitch last year for the Twins but never got the call. He pitches in the upper 90's and has reach 3 digits before. Scouts say he has a very heavy sinker which reportly hits 99 which is crazy. Twins sent him to the Arizona fall laegue where he had bad numbers but the reason for that was he used the league as a way to improve his change-up. All 3 prospect have control problem at times, (can be wild and walk mant batters) but really having nothing else to prove in the minor's and are just about ready to pitch in the Show. If I had my choice I pick Durbin over Bonser and Bowyer has closer potential and ability to dominate.