Was this a better package for Pierre?

The Mariners intended to offer Jeremy Reed and reliever Matt Thornton to the A's for Barry Zito if they had acquired Juan Pierre from the Marlins.

Their offer to Florida for Pierre -- shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, RHP Emiliano Fruto and catcher Rene Rivera -- was quite a bit better than that. At the very least, the A's would want a top youngster (Adam Jones?) to go along with Reed. Dec. 9 - 2:54 pm et

Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer

?

I like Asdrubal Cabrera, he's 20, he's a switch hitter,he's considered to be very good defensively, and his average arm strength means he'd probably end up as a second baseman in the future.

And Rene Rivera (22 years old) did play with the Mariners some this season where he hit .396 in 50 AB's with the team.

IMO, this is a much better deal for us since it could plug the hole at short-stop and catcher, and it lets Willingham move to left where I think everyone here would be more comfortable with him playing.

The true evaluation of this trade, for me, is to see what we end up doing with Pinto, Nolasco and Mitre.

While Nolasco could be a stud and doesn't have control issues like Pinto, I think Pinto is going to turn out to be a complete stud.

I said it before--he could be the steal of this deal. He was a throw in--and god damn that's a nice throw in. He has the potential, but he needs to come back strong after last year and work on that control.

Well, Cabrera isn't close to major league ready, so a 2B would still have to be picked up. He's a decent, not great prospect, though he could turn into one with some time.

From John Sickels at minorleagueball.com: 17) Asdrubal Cabrera, SS

Hit .318/.407/.474 for Wisconsin, then .284/.325/.418 for Inland Empire. Just 19, a long way from the majors but has good tools and has played fairly well so far.

Fruto isn't nearly as good of a pitching prospect as any of the prospects in the Cubs package.

I do agree that Rivera could have helped, as supposedly he's good defensively, but his bat is nothing to be excited about judging from his minor league numbers (though he did hit well in his stint in the majors this year).

Overall Rivera filled a hole, but Fruto and Cabrera wouldn't have had a huge impact this year. In the future, it's a possibility for Cabrera, but Fruto wouldn't have been anything special in this system.

Both of the Cubs pitching prospects are better than the Mariners prospects, and Mitre should help fill out the rotation.

I'm glad Beinfest took the Cubs deal if this is what the Mariners offered.

While Nolasco could be a stud and doesn't have control issues like Pinto, I think Pinto is going to turn out to be a complete stud.

I said it before--he could be the steal of this deal. He was a throw in--and god damn that's a nice throw in. He has the potential, but he needs to come back strong after last year and work on that control.

He definitely just wasn't a "throw in".. but I agree, he has the potential.

He definitely just wasn't a "throw in".. but I agree, he has the potential.

No really he was. Remember hte deal was Mitre and Nolasco for Pierre....

Or was it Pinto/Nolasco and Mitre was the throw in? Oh I don't remember now

No, Pinto and Nolasco were pretty much neck and neck in terms of rankings in the Cubs' organization... Mitre was definitely the throw in. The only future he had was with the Iowa Cubs.

K, sorry--all these minor leaguers and trades get mixed up in my head.

Either way, Pinto could very well be the equivalent of a throw-in if he doesn't prove something this year. And I can also see him turning into a setup reliever down the road ('07)

Oh, by the way Nolasco was 'well' ahead of Pinto, especially after his stint in the Southern League. But Pinto has more upside, if anything.