Damion is about to be gone

The "real" FAN

The Diamondbacks are close to signing infielder Damion Easley to a one-year contract.

For what purpose? Easley is a capable backup, but so is Alex Cintron and Andy Green, the PCL MVP, deserves a chance to stick as a utilityman. There's only going to be room for all three if one is a regular. Cintron looks like the candidate to start at shortstop in the group, but he could also be traded. The Diamondbacks need to consider signing a stopgap second baseman and moving Craig Counsell back to short. Dec. 11 - 3:42 am et

Source: Arizona Republic

The Cincy guy this team could probably acquire (if they're interested) who would be the most help to Girardi in shaping this team would be free agent Rich Aurilia, a guy who can play second and SS and could allow Ramirez (and whoever our young 2B guy turns out to be - Uggla, etc.) a chance to acclimate himself to the rigors of an MLB season.

Having a veteran guy up the middle who can play four days a week at either position might be good for all three players. He made $500k last season. The Reds cut him with the express interest in re-signing him, but one would assume his salary isn't going to escalate signifcantly, if at all.

Let me be the first to admit there have been no stories or indication that the Marlins are interested in the guy. I'm just speaking in the hypothetical.

The Cincy guy this team could probably acquire (if they're interested) who would be the most help to Girardi in shaping this team would be free agent Rich Aurilia, a guy who can play second and SS and could allow Ramirez (and whoever our young 2B guy turns out to be - Uggla, etc.) a chance to acclimate himself to the rigors of an MLB season.

Having a veteran guy up the middle who can play four days a week at either position might be good for all three players. He made $500k last season. The Reds cut him with the express interest in re-signing him, but one would assume his salary isn't going to escalate signifcantly, if at all.

Let me be the first to admit there have been no stories or indication that the Marlins are interested in the guy. I'm just speaking in the hypothetical.

I agree with you completely on this. However, the Reds offered him arbitration on Dec. 7.

I would like to see at least one veteran starting infielder or outfielder on the roster. It is fine to have a young team growing up together, but that doesn't mean all eight of the position players (with the exception of Miguel) has to have less than one year of major league experience if any at all. Let Girardi have one or two veteran starters to help lead the team and give the youngsters time to develop.

This isn't very likely, though, as we all know.

I appears it was Easley's decision not to return, such is life.

As for Aurilia, the Reds set him free on Oct 28, declining their mutual option at a price of $2,000,000 for '06 and buying him out for $150k. I believe it was to be able to negotiate a lower price tag, but since then the Reds acquired Womack making their need for Rich even less than had been anticipated.

To me RA is an example of the kinds of guys I'd like to see be part of this team for a couple years as the kids mature. Between SS and 2B I bet he could get playing time in a 100 games year.

As for Aurilia, the Reds set him free on Oct 28, declining their mutual option at a price of $2,000,000 for '06 and buying him out for $150k. I believe it was to be able to negotiate a lower price tag, but since then the Reds acquired Womack making their need for Rich even less than had been anticipated.

To me RA is an example of the kinds of guys I'd like to see be part of this team for a couple years as the kids mature. Between SS and 2B I bet he could get playing time in a 100 games year.

I might be wrong, but doesn't Aurillia have some history of attitude problems?

I might be wrong, but doesn't Aurillia have some history of attitude problems?

You might ask Marlins_Giants, he followed him on the west coast.

I think The Ease could have put up some big numbers if he played 2nd base all

year.....Yeah he complained about PT last year.......We all would if we had his talent.

Remember....other than the double header sweep in Colorado (AKA "Nightmare on Elm Street") the Marlins season ended the night that Easley twisted his ankle on freshly sodded Dolphin turf.

I'll miss ya Ease.

Yeah, I brought his name up a few days ago. I would love for the Marlins to get him. Not only is he a veteran in the lineup, but he would provide some great leadership to this young team. However, I don't see it happening. He has said he'd like to remain in Cincy.

I would have loved for the Giants to get him back. He's one of my all time favorite Giants...

D.E. was a good guy and a good player. He took whatever position Mckeon asked him to play and delivered some good at bats for us.

Its sad we treat players in such a way that they don't want to stay with us. Small moves like this keep demonstrating this

It's sad that some people find such glee in perverting the truth day after day.

D.E. was a good guy and a good player. He took whatever position Mckeon asked him to play and delivered some good at bats for us.

Its sad we treat players in such a way that they don't want to stay with us. Small moves like this keep demonstrating this

As a back up he should do what he was told and say thanks. Curious to see where he ends up. Maybe he will wish he was back!

Damion Easley - 2B - Diamondbacks

Diamondbacks signed infielder Damion Easley, who had been with the Marlins, to a one-year contract.

Easley, 36, hit .240/.312/.419 in 267 AB for Florida last season. Unlike in 2004, he hit much better against lefties than righties, finishing at .333/.390/.725 in 51 at-bats. The Diamondbacks could give him some starts over Craig Counsell against southpaws. He shouldn't be viewed as an option as a starting shortstop, but if spring training started tomorrow, he'd compete with Alex Cintron for the job. Dec. 12 - 6:16 pm et

Finalized. Sorry if this was posted in another thread.