WHAT!?!!?!?!?

The "real" FAN

Rival executives were stunned when the Marlins declined to offer salary arbitration to free-agent closer Todd Jones after Jones' two-year deal with the Tigers became public knowledge.

The Marlins would have received two compensation picks if they had extended the offer, giving them five selections in the first and sandwich rounds, including the two they will receive for Burnett, plus their own.

The only logical conclusion: The Marlins don't want to pay big money to that many draft picks

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=43814

then whats the point in building through your farm system if your not going to take advantage of draft picks being given to you :mad

wow dumb move. They knew dam right that a team would sign Jones , and passing up those picks was really an unsmart move. Even if they dont pick the "best" available player at that time in the draft, they could have easily told a lower level pick that they would pick them earlier then they would normally go and tell them how much money they will offer, much like the A's Moneyball draft. Better to have something than nothing.

This is new news?

You can spin anything anyway you want.

I like the last sentence. That's not the only logical conclusion. Todd Jones hadn't signed anything yet, nothing was official. You could certainly conclude that the deal was based on us not offering, as to not lose their picks.

WOW...i dont know what to say...this is f*ed up!!!! you have to build the farm system through draft...look at some of the studs we drafted like beckett... im predicting it here gator 1st baseban matt laporta leads ncaa with homers for the second straight year...and gets picked in the suplemental draft of the 1st round, and not by the fish cause they dont have picks

This is new news?

You can spin anything anyway you want.

I like the last sentence. That's not the only logical conclusion. Todd Jones hadn't signed anything yet, nothing was official. You could certainly conclude that the deal was based on us not offering, as to not lose their picks.

He would have probably made a killing in arbitration and had the Marlins offered it, he may have taken it over the Tigers deal. It would have been less than the Tigers were paying for two years, but seeing what closers go for these days, it's probably not a risk the FO wanted to take. Personally I think Jones will suck anyway this year and the Tigers will be paying somebody to take him on come next winter. Either that, or they'll jettison him over to the Phillies, who will once again overpay for a setup man even though they're not making the postseason ;)

More than 5.5 million though? I don't think that's a certainty.

Plus, if you assume he gets 6-7 million from arbitration which I would question, isn't it still likely he would choose the security of a two year deal for slightly less than having a one year deal and needing to prove himself again on a much less talented squad?

And before someone chimes in with the possibility that this was an unsigned deal until the Marlins declined arbitration, I've considered it. The Tigers' first round pick is protected, I think they would take losing a second round pick to sign someone they saw as one of the premier relievers in this year's class. Just saying I think the most likely conclusion right now is not that they were afraid Jones would take the arbitration but that they did not want the surplus draft selections for whatever reason.

More than 5.5 million though? I don't think that's a certainty.

Plus, if you assume he gets 6-7 million from arbitration which I would question, isn't it still likely he would choose the security of a two year deal for slightly less than having a one year deal and needing to prove himself again on a much less talented squad?

And before someone chimes in with the possibility that this was an unsigned deal until the Marlins declined arbitration, I've considered it. The Tigers' first round pick is protected, I think they would take losing a second round pick to sign someone they saw as one of the premier relievers in this year's class. Just saying I think the most likely conclusion right now is not that they were afraid Jones would take the arbitration but that they did not want the surplus draft selections for whatever reason.

I don't think the Marlins are totally to be blame here, Jones did make a statement a week before signing with the Tigers about returning to the Fish. Something about helping Willis win more games, IMO the Marlins got scared he would have accepted the Marlins offer and be stuck paying a contract they didn't want to pay. Also the Tigers 1st round pick is protected, so the chances the Marlins would have been taking don't merit the reward. Just a thought

I'm taking the opposite approach here. Why be saddled with a bunch of first round "bonus babies" that most likely will not pan out. The MLB draft is NOT the NFL draft. It doesn't matter what round they're drafted in to guarantee success. For every one A-Rod or Josh Beckett out there you will have 100 Brien Taylors, Josh Hamiltons, and Shawn Abners.

It makes business sense, that's all. So you pass up having to pay bonuses to two or three players that may never play for you.