Beckett getting acclimated to Boston

Fish4Life

New Red Sox righty taking adjustments to big market in stride

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- Spending his first days in Boston this week, culture shock has yet to set in for Josh Beckett, a lifetime Florida Marlin until the Thanksgiving Day blockbuster trade that saw him become a member of the Red Sox. There he was Wednesday night, walking around the streets of Boston wearing shorts.

"It was 61 degrees," said Beckett. "I was quite surprised. I was actually walking around in shorts and people were looking at me like I was weird and asking me where I was from."

Beckett will likely long for those days of relative anonymity by April, when he will be at the virtual epicenter of Red Sox Nation and, as the saying goes on the theme song of Cheers, he'll be in the place where "everybody knows your name."

The hard-throwing right-hander was on hand for Thursday's Boston Baseball Writers Awards dinner, where he made his first public appearance in his new baseball home.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Josh getting ready for this season... I hope he does good against those yanks like in 03'. But dont worry I am positive that he will get RACKED when he pitches against us! That is if he's not on the DL :lol

New Red Sox righty taking adjustments to big market in stride

By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- Spending his first days in Boston this week, culture shock has yet to set in for Josh Beckett, a lifetime Florida Marlin until the Thanksgiving Day blockbuster trade that saw him become a member of the Red Sox. There he was Wednesday night, walking around the streets of Boston wearing shorts.

"It was 61 degrees," said Beckett. "I was quite surprised. I was actually walking around in shorts and people were looking at me like I was weird and asking me where I was from."

Beckett will likely long for those days of relative anonymity by April, when he will be at the virtual epicenter of Red Sox Nation and, as the saying goes on the theme song of Cheers, he'll be in the place where "everybody knows your name."

The hard-throwing right-hander was on hand for Thursday's Boston Baseball Writers Awards dinner, where he made his first public appearance in his new baseball home.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Josh getting ready for this season... I hope he does good against those yanks like in 03'. But dont worry I am positive that he will get RACKED when he pitches against us! That is if he's not on the DL :lol

Bitter much?

I have no doubts that he'll be able to succeed in Boston, but I have my doubts that he'll want to stay. I just see him getting fed up after his first blister incident or DL stint (because, let's be honest, it's going to happen) results in 1,390,399,596,959 of the same question because he's the Yankee killing Sox savior, how can he be hurt? I mean, he got testy with repetitious questions from the South Florida media...it's going to be night and day for him up there.

He'll be fine, but for some reason, I just see him leaving Boston after 2007, and it'll have nothing to do with performance.

you honestly think that if josh pitches against we can even get like 2-3 runs off him??

he's gonna be the pitcher that we all expected him to be. all that potential all the talk will now be shown or never shown.

Did any bookie in Vegas think that we were gonna beat the Yanks in 03'??

Yes I do think that we can score on him. He's not the greatest pitcher that ever lived man.. I mean yea Josh is a very high talent and will do great in Bean-Town if he stays healthy but we can rip him for sure!

Bitter much?

Not bitter at all... I like to give our old players a little bit of hell.. Yea, when he returns I'll give my standing-O but when that first pitch is thrown its all Marlins man! Whether is be screaming at Josh and telling Lowell he sucks! Deep down yea he's always gonna be a Marlin... But when your not wearing Teal (not thats its his fault but..) ITS ON! :chair

I hope he does well in Boston. I think his raw numbers, most specifically ERA, might be worse because of the home park he's going to pitch in, but he'll be a better pitcher this year than last.

I'd also ove to make it to the game if he pitches vs. the Marlins in June. Beckett vs. Cabrera would be awesome to see (as would Beckett vs Dontrelle if the Train is on the hill that night)

I hope he does well, but against us I will scream to him for the little brat he was to us fans when he was here, hope they knock him flat out of the game each time, and as for AJ, I hope we knock the ball to a different zip code off of him when he displays that fastball of his. Than knock him out of the game, and have the fans taunt him.

Quite honestly, Beckett deserves all the respect in the world.

He was nice as hell to the fans, respectable, lived up to expectations (injuries withstanding) didn't trash anyone and was one of the few players to actually stand up for McKeon and his teammates when all fell apart this season.

In the past two years, he was probably the greatest combination of talent and class the Marlins have ever had on the team.

I hope he gets to pitch in Pro Player, and I hope every single fan gives him a standing ovation, and he doesn't hear a single boo.

Remember people its not his fault he left. No need to hold our crappy organization against him. How can you not root for this guy wherever he goes after all he has done for our Fish? I know I'll surely go out of my way to see him pitch if he does at Joe Robbie. He will def get a cheer out of me.

Well said. I agree 100%.

I hope Josh does have the chance to start when the Sox come to Miami this summer. I'll look forward to seeing him pitch and will be torn between rooting him on to throw one of his gems and seeing our youngsters win.

Perhaps the best result would be a 1-0 win by the good guys in extra innings after Josh has been pulled?