Samson reaffirms his "we know we suck, but too bad" attitude

Accord

One concerned fan noted to Samson that when he renewed his season tickets, he expected a "Major League product." The fan pointed out that the revamped roster, comprised mostly of young players, will eventually develop into quality players.

"What's going to happen when they grow to be good? They're going to leave again," the fan said.

Samson responded: "As far as the product is concerned, I don't apologize one bit. As far as the fans are concerned, I'm hopeful that you realize the run you've had as a season-ticket holder is unparalleled, the number of world championships, the number of winning years. There are fans all over this country who would trade places with you without question. They just wouldn't think twice about it.

"I know last year we were supposed to go the playoffs. We horrifically underperformed, and with all the momentum we had with the team, attendance still wasn't that great. ... When does it come down to? Is it this market? Is this us? What does it come down to? Because attendance wasn't great when the team was winning."

Samson added that in the 2003 World Series championship year, the Marlins ranked near the bottom in attendance, attracting 1.3 million people.

"We had low attendance in August and September when we were in the Wild Card race," Samson said. "Then when the playoffs came and we sold out, it was completely insane. Then the next year, where you expect a kick, attendance wasn't as great as you would have seen. That's why I still want to believe it's the location of the stadium, it's the discomfort the fans feel.

"It can't be product related, because we've had [one of the] best products seen in all of baseball."

Hey David, how about something along the lines of "We're grateful that you have decided to remain a season ticket holder and stick with the franchise through these difficult times"... not criticize the guy for asking a legitimate question on the minds of everyone and then and basically demand that he be grateful for even being allowed to watch such a bad product.

I would have punched him in the face like- POW right in the kisser! Pow! right in the kisser! POW right in the kisser! Pow! right in the kisser! POW right in the kisser! Pow! right in the kisser! POW right in the kisser! Pow! right in the kisser! POW right in the kisser! Pow! right in the kisser! POW right in the kisser! Pow! right in the kisser! POW right in the kisser! Pow! right in the kisser! POW right in the kisser! Pow! right in the kisser! POW right in the kisser! Pow! right in the kisser! POW right in the kisser! Pow! right in the kisser!....

So now does everyone understand why I'm a little bitter about the Marlins? You all should be too. David Samson is laughing at everyone that buys a ticket to see this team play.

I dunno, I don't base my feelings about the Marlins on how much of a putz the team president is. He's always been a putz and a PR disaster. Nothing's changed.

I'm not mad at the Marlins, just at Samsom. This is one of the most asinine things he has said. You don't trade away just about all of fan's favorite players and then threaten to leave town and then ask them if they know how lucky they are.

I'd say you're a little luckier Mr. Samson since your mommy was married to Loria and now you get to work for the Marlins.

I'm sorry, but based on what he said, he didn't "rip" into the fan as the title of this thread indicates. He made cogent points without every bashing the fans. He just said they didn't have a great bump in attendance after winning the championship, which is true. Some of you guys are unbelieveable when it comes to criticizing Samson.

This is why nothing has gotten done for a stadium. This guy has no idea how to talk to people. He treats people like they're inferior or retarded.

How about a, "Yeah I realize that the payroll is at $20 million, and that half the players have no Major League experience, and that we made you commit to season tickets last season when the product was totally different, but..."

It's just a matter of respect and understanding people's feelings and not just dismissing their point of view as "wrong." So frustrating.

Samson is right. I don't understand what you want the guy to do? He only controls the Presidential duties. He is not responsible for this 'relocation' possibility.

Granted he could be more encouraging with the fans, but he's being honest and completely reasonable. And surely a man that is questioned every day for months (years) is tired of the same inquiries. I'm surprised he hasn't lashed out like some hot tempered officials in baseball have done in the past.

Samson is right. I don't understand what you want the guy to do? He only controls the Presidential duties. He is not responsible for this 'relocation' possibility.

Granted he could be more encouraging with the fans, but he's being honest and completely reasonable. And surely a man that is questioned every day for months (years) is tired of the same inquiries. I'm surprised he hasn't lashed out like some hot tempered officials in baseball have done in the past.

it's just his general attitude... he's not a people-person at all... when that's the guy that's negotiating for a stadium deal, it doesn't lend itself to getting a deal done.

Samson responded: "As far as the product is concerned, I don't apologize one bit.

He's talking to the hardcore fanbase... Don't apologize for making the payroll $20 million and trading almost every known player? Yeah don't apolgize, we deserve it.

As far as the fans are concerned, I'm hopeful that you realize the run you've had as a season-ticket holder is unparalleled, the number of world championships, the number of winning years. There are fans all over this country who would trade places with you without question. They just wouldn't think twice about it.

I'm sorry, David... I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. I should be happy you gutted the team... Oh yeah, and I'm not worthy.... He talks to people like they're inferior- like a teacher talks to first graders.

Samson added that in the 2003 World Series championship year, the Marlins ranked near the bottom in attendance, attracting 1.3 million people.

"We had low attendance in August and September when we were in the Wild Card race," Samson said. "Then when the playoffs came and we sold out, it was completely insane. Then the next year, where you expect a kick, attendance wasn't as great as you would have seen. That's why I still want to believe it's the location of the stadium, it's the discomfort the fans feel.

As if he isn't talking to the members of the 5,000 people that did show up for games on Mondays and Tuesdays this year, and the games when they played Tampa... He has a reprimanding tone, as if it's OUR fault, us being the core, the people that actually showed up to FanFest, as if it's our fault. We're the ones that are actually there, David! It it wasn't for us, there would literally be no one left.

"It can't be product related, because we've had [one of the] best products seen in all of baseball."

"It's not our fault, don't look at me, it's your fault! You did this to yourselves!"

A few other things that have so far gone unmentioned -

Andre Dawson, who Girardi told could keep his moustache at spring training, will shave it off.

While Beinfest admitted he couldn't talk about other teams' players he did give everyone in attendance a wink wink, nod nod answer regarding the Marlins interest in Joey Gathright.

The Herald's Barry Jackson would have his readers believe the Marlins had an interest in Sammy Sosa, but in truth Beinfest's body language and comments really looked like he was saying "we got a phone call from his agent and politely declined".

Samson was generally well received and did a good job (certainly a far better job than in December) handling questions and framing his answers to explain why the team has to have their own stadium. The "Samson reaffirms his "we know we suck, but too bad" attitude, The little weasel rips into a fan at FanFest" is totally off-base and wrongly portrays what happened. Frankly, the more I think about it, the more angered I am by it. Sorry Accord, no disrespect meant.

Beinfest commented positively on Ricky Nolasco at least twice, implying he might be the next big steal (after Dontrelle) from the Cubs organization. Totally absent from the morning meeting was any mention of Scott Olsen.

Joe Girardi will have no trouble leading this club if his comments Saturday are any indication. His presence commands respect. He explained that he chose the coaches he did with an eye towards who would be the best teachers, which he sees as job 1.

When asked about signing Willis and Cabrera long term (actually the question was about buying out their arbitration years) Samson conferred with Beinfest for a second and reiterated the Marlins position is unchanged since 2002, they don't believe in doing so and want to pay for performance even if in the longrun it costs a few more dollars.

------

A few other things, Beinfest was really high on Chris Volstad and how quickly he moved through the lower levels of the Marlins organization last summer.

When asked about a grass roots group being formed and whether the Marlins endorsed it, Samson said yes. The questioner asked how people could contact the group and suggested doing a mailing to season ticketholders with a contact name, etc., and Samson said the Marlins would do that. Also mentioned was the upcoming unveiling of a PR campaign to get people involved in the stadium issue.

Where's the "ripping"?

I think some of you need to get over it.

I got over it. What happened happened and you can't change it. All he said in that short piece above is true.

:hat i sat at the town meeting.i was there and like it or not,samson was right.samson mentioned that the redsox only have 3 players left from their 2004 championship team.

face it,baseball is as transit as all the other sports.players come and go.

but put ouselves againsy other fan bases,we still have 2 world championships in the last 9 years.

look at the astros,rockies,padres,cubs,brewers. have we forgotten how lucky we've beem.

as a fan of this game for 36 years,i wake up every morning saying,we're some of the luckiest fans in baseball.

we've rebuilt before,we can do it again.

:hat i sat at the town meeting.i was there and like it or not,samson was right.samson mentioned that the redsox only have 3 players left from their 2004 championship team.

Samson was wrong...

Ortiz, Ramirez, Schilling, Foulke, Varitek, Arroyo, Timlin, Nixon, Wakefield, Youkilis are still on left from the Redsox 2004 championship team.