That was close!

Eddie Altamonte

It had been reported that the Marlins almost traded Olsen for Gathright and the trade had been close to be finalized but it appears the Marlins chose to keep Olsen

Joey Gathright

AVG .182 | HR 0 | RBI 1 | OBP .308 | SLG .182

We wanted to give Olsen away for this?!!!

We are almost better off with Abercrombie

AVG .118 | HR 0 | RBI 0 | OBP .211 | SLG .118

Im glad we didn't trade Olsen for Gathright but Gathright has impressed me lately with his ability to draw walks. Yes he is hitting .163 but the Walk to K ratio tells me he's been more unlucky than bad. Now I still don't trade Johnson, Sanchez, Petit, Olsen and im iffy if we should trade Nolasco for him. If the Devil Rays lower their trade demands to something more like a package of Mildren, Tyler, Messenger, Kensing, Pinto, Bostick then great I would pull the trigger without any hesitation.

The guy has an OBP that isn't too bad, a lot of our lineup is scuffling, it is the first week and he hasn't played every game, he now has an OBP of 333, if you can't hit it, you have to get on base another way, he has still scored 6 runs in 10 games. Abe hasn't done either. I'm not a big fan of Gathright but a lot of good players scuffle early, give it til mid-May and I'm sure you will see a much better representation of what Gathright will do this year.

Safe to say Olsen's here to stay. Had 5 great innings today. Ran into trouble in the 6th & walked 3, and then had that awful throwing error, but otherwise a real nice first outing.

Now that Olsen's up, the spotlight is on Moehler and Mitre to hold onto their starting spots. Johnson and Nolasco will be waiting if one of them falters, not to mention Petit & the rest of the gang in the minors.

I dont want Gathright due to the fact that he is horrible defensively, but want him even less now that he has shown he cant hit MLB pitching yet.

Right now Bostick for Gathright would be about as far as I'd go, as he hasn't shown he is worth more.

I dont want Gathright due to the fact that he is horrible defensively, but want him even less now that he has shown he cant hit MLB pitching yet.

Right now Bostick for Gathright would be about as far as I'd go, as he hasn't shown he is worth more.

Shut up.

Shut up.

just because you hate Spike, doesnt mean you need to troll his posts dude

jesus... this board sucks lately

No. He hasn't shown he can hit MLB pitching yet, and the fact that he is crappy defensively seals the deal.

Right now, Gathright is not worth a top of the line or even second tier pitching prospect.

Why do you say he is crappy defensively?

And you can't say someone is crappy after 2 weeks. He is young and will struggle at times. Not everyone is Miguel Cabrera.

I don't think the FO ever considered this deal seriously, despite what certain newspapers may have printed.

And how does Gathright suck at defense exactly? He's pretty much a Pierre clone in the field. Takes bad routes, but makes up for it with blazing speed to make him close to average out there. Just because you hate Gathright (willingham, etc, etc) doesn't mean you should exaggerate to make your case against him. It makes for bad discussion because people have to continually correct your false statements.

He cant judge flyballs. He has no arm. I might be wrong, but the combination of those two things makes for pretty crappy CF defense. Theres nothing false about that, he constantly misplays fly balls, and even has them hit over his head...which with his "blazing speed" shouldn't happen. Add to the fact that he doesn't have the arm to compensate for his misjudgement of pop flys, this still equals up to pretty crappy(also, if I am not mistaken the majority of scouting reports say he is crappy defensively).

He also doesnt get XBH, and he strikes out alot.

It seems that everyone is just so enamored with the fact that he runs real fast, they are ready to dismiss the defects in the rest of his game.

Gathright wouldn't help us, why trade something for him when a better deal could potentially come along at any time. Also, why trade with a team that has got a bloated sense of whats worth what since they ripped the Mets off in the Kazmir deal?

He cant judge flyballs. He has no arm. I might be wrong, but the combination of those two things makes for pretty crappy CF defense.

He also doesnt get XBH, and he strikes out alot.

It seems that everyone is just so enamored with the fact that he runs real fast, they are ready to dismiss the defects in the rest of his game.

Gathright wouldn't help us, why trade something for him when a better deal could potentially come along at any time. Also, why trade with a team that has got a bloated sense of whats worth what since they ripped the Mets off in the Kazmir deal?

I'm not arguing to trade for him or not, but you're still overexaggerating his weaknesses and way underplaying his strengths, as you've done from the beginning, frustrating any reasonable debate. I've learned my lesson and realize there's no point in presenting factual evidence to rebutt all the falacious statements in your posts.

Anyhow, I believe Gathright would certainly be useful to us now and in the future, however, this is only true depending on the trade cost...because as Spike says, TB has high demands for their talent. Further, we're in no hurry to make a trade because our plans don't include competing this year. A move will probably be made before the AS break, once we've evaluated our pitching talent.

What factual evidence have you presented as a rebuttal Shamrock? That he runs real fast? Everyone knows that. And as of right now, that isn't really helping him. He's not hitting, even if he was he is still your basic singles hitter since he seems nearly incapable of extra base hits, you've agreed that he takes bad routes(although, you are wrong to the degree he does...someone that fast doesn't have the ball hit over his head as much as he does), and I'm sure you'd agree that he has no arm.

Would you say that Abercrombie is a vialbe future option longterm in CF? I doubt that. But then I ask the question why you think Gathright will be? Abercrombie and Gathright are very similar in batting right now, and Abercrombie adds (much)better defense.