Vargas sent down

Ralph

Transactions: The Marlins have optioned reliever Jason Vargas to the Minors after Sunday's game. His assignment is not yet known.

The 23-year-old left-hander made Florida's rotation and made five starts, but he struggled at times and was sent to the bullpen in the role of long relief. In his last outing on Friday, Vargas gave up eight runs -- seven earned -- over just 3 1/3 innings.

Vargas was the team's second round draft pick in 2002 and was the rookie of the year for the Marlins a season ago, going 5-5 with a 4.03 ERA. In nine games with Florida this season, he is 1-1 with a 6.40 ERA.

To fill Vargas' spot on the 25-man roster, the club recalled Renyel Pinto from Triple-A Albuquerque. In eight starts for the Isotopes, the 23-year-old lefty is 3-1 with a 2.70 ERA.

Pinto will join the club on Monday in Atlanta.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

I really wanna see Pinto and hopefully his control isnt as bad a Vargas. Even though his numbers will tell you otherwise.

Guest Festa

This is going to be good for Vargas and most importantly the club.

Girardi mentioned somewhere today that Pinto wasn't called up ahead of Petit because he had pitched more recently.

Girardi warned them a few days ago that if they didn't start producing at the major league level they wouldn't be playing at the major league level. Olsen was smart enough to understand what Petit's arrival meant. Obviously Vargas didn't the memo and true to his word, Girardi let everyone know who's the boss and what it takes to stick.

Great move Joe, I'm impressed.

I must say, I'm suprised they handle the pitchers this way, but haven't done this with Jacobs, Reggie, EReed, Aguila, etc. I understand that we have a lot of pitching depth in the minor leagues (hence, options), but sending a young pitcher down could destroy his confidence more so that sending a positional player down. This is just mere speculation on my part, but it seems to me that hitting and fielding do not require the SAME LEVEL of confidence that pitching does. For instance, having low confidence might force a hitter to be too anxious at the plate, but if you're afraid to throw strikes, throw inside, use your change-up, etc., you're done for as a pitcher.

I hope Girardi and Co. know what they are doing. I'm excited to see Pinto (and Petit, who looked pretty good IMO).

Feel bad for Vargas but this is Def. needed! Hopefully he regains his control and we will see him back with the club soon...

Pinto on the other hand should be exciting to watch! Can't wait!

I heard we're in for another surprise tomorrow.....

:mischief

:mischief

:mischief2

Though I feel bad for Vargas this is a solid move to make. He obviously has fallen off his game and is doing something wrong mechanically or has lost confidence and needs to regain it. Jason never seemed to be a pitcher with control problems and now he can't seem to find the plate. He'll be back....

Funny, Vargas was sent down today because they probably expected he would be needed for long relief with Moehler on the mound :)

Starters: Willis, Johnson, Olsen, Nolasco, Moehler

Pen: Borowski, Herges, Wellemyer, Messenger, Petit, Pinto, Kensing

DL: Mitre, German

It will be interesting to see who is sent down if the newbies do well.

German ready to go: Franklyn German left Tuesday's game after throwing just two pitches, but the 6-foot-7 right-hander apparently did not need much rest.

He has thrown pain-free long-toss sessions before Friday and Saturday's games, and should be ready to return when he becomes eligible to come off the disabled list on May 24.

"Right now, there's no pain," German said. "I feel perfect."

German will throw a bullpen session tomorrow in Atlanta.

If Kensing, Petit, and Pinto are doing good who goes down when German gets back?

German ready to go: Franklyn German left Tuesday's game after throwing just two pitches, but the 6-foot-7 right-hander apparently did not need much rest.

He has thrown pain-free long-toss sessions before Friday and Saturday's games, and should be ready to return when he becomes eligible to come off the disabled list on May 24.

"Right now, there's no pain," German said. "I feel perfect."

German will throw a bullpen session tomorrow in Atlanta.

If Kensing, Petit, and Pinto are doing good who goes down when German gets back?

Now K-Mart is back, too. Wellemeyer will be gone. When German comes back Pinto or Petit probably go down.

I must say, I'm suprised they handle the pitchers this way, but haven't done this with Jacobs, Reggie, EReed, Aguila, etc. I understand that we have a lot of pitching depth in the minor leagues (hence, options), but sending a young pitcher down could destroy his confidence more so that sending a positional player down. This is just mere speculation on my part, but it seems to me that hitting and fielding do not require the SAME LEVEL of confidence that pitching does. For instance, having low confidence might force a hitter to be too anxious at the plate, but if you're afraid to throw strikes, throw inside, use your change-up, etc., you're done for as a pitcher.

I hope Girardi and Co. know what they are doing. I'm excited to see Pinto (and Petit, who looked pretty good IMO).

The main difference between hitting and pitching is that a bad pitcher, especially a starter, can singlehandedly lose games, while a hole in your lineup is only one of nine positions. Plus, when pitchers are off, it is usually because the mechanics are off and this is applicable to any level. The jump from the minors to the majors has to be much different for hitters and at times a struggling hitter just needs to adjust to the major league level of pitching.

I had thought this was gonna happen earlier, it is the best thing for us and Vargas at this point. If he fixes his problems he may be back in not too long. Either way I am glad the team isn't afraid of giving guys a shot and switching things around, even when it involves a guy like Vargas who may be in our long-term plans.