Andruw Jones

I think the biggest obstacle would be the Braves trading him to a team in the division. I don't see them doing that, I'd think they'd rather hang onto his soon to be tougher to trade contract than deal him to a division rival... but it would be awesome.

Admin, just look at the standings.

You know the waiver rules. They can't get a deal done without the Marlins claiming him if they want. We have them blocked. Besides they have to know he probably won't be in the NL East next season anyways.

I think fans are building themselves up for a big letdown if they start thinking the Marlins will land Andruw. The Braves have one of the best centerfielders in the game locked up in a relatively favorable contract. The Braves know that if we do not hold onto him, we could just spin him off to another team for the parts we need. I'd love to have Andruw, but John Schuerholz is no idiot. I think this whole move is just bluster so the Braves can tell Andruw they turned down some great offers for him and then maybe improving their chances signing him to a favorable contract extension.

First off should the marlins go get him....

and which marlins were put on waivers?

I believe that Cabrera and Willis may have been put there, so that teams would stop asking about them. But I don't know.

What are you talking about?

To further show the Marlins had no interest in trading Willis -- or All-Star third baseman Miguel Cabrera -- the team reportedly put both players on waivers last Friday. By league rule, all players go through the waivers process during the year. Just because a player is placed on waivers doesn't mean he will leave his existing team.

If another team puts a bid on a player on waivers, the original club has the right to pull them back off waivers.

Putting Willis and Cabrera on waivers Friday is significant because players on waivers can't be traded. And the waiver time frame is 72 hours. Since the rest of the league sees the waiver list, they knew the two young Marlins' superstars were not on the market.

link

The deal on the table prior to the deadline was:

Astros get: Andruw Jones

Red Sox get: Roy Oswalt

Braves get: Crisp, Hansen and Lester

Two things blocked this trade. The Sox refusal to include Hansen (and inability to come to an agreement on a third player to the Braves) and the Astros concern that Jones had the ability as a 10/5 player traded in the middle of a long term contract to request a trade.

Years ago, any player sent through waivers would clear. Then starting with Steve Phillips and the Mets players started to be claimed to block potential deals. Andriw Jones is tradeable but as ya see above it would be for a kings randsom. Sort of what it would take to get a Willis or Cabrera from us. You wanna trade Willingham, Sanchez and Petit or Nolasco? That's probably what it would take. (not even considering a contract we'd never take)

I think fans are building themselves up for a big letdown if they start thinking the Marlins will land Andruw. The Braves have one of the best centerfielders in the game locked up in a relatively favorable contract. The Braves know that if we do not hold onto him, we could just spin him off to another team for the parts we need. I'd love to have Andruw, but John Schuerholz is no idiot. I think this whole move is just bluster so the Braves can tell Andruw they turned down some great offers for him and then maybe improving their chances signing him to a favorable contract extension.

I think PBC, that's a very valid point of view and a realistic one.

Last night I was simply enjoying the "moment". They'll be no anger or letdown if it doesn't come to pass, atleast on my part, but you have to admit (figuratively) the Marlins are in a unique position were something to come to pass.

An interesting tidbit, more general and informational regarding post-July 31st waiver trades.

I hadn't realized until I read it this morning that 72 hours after placing a player on waivers, if the player has not been claimed by any team, the club holding his contract is now free to trade him anywhere. The condition regarding claims within your league, from bottom to top and then into the other league, disappears after three days.

That is not to say a player can't be on and off waivers, because he can. But "The original team may block a claim and pull a player off waivers once a month. The next time a player is placed on waivers that month a claim cannot be blocked and the player automaticall goes to the other team."

http://kmbumb.people.wm.edu/roster/glossary.html

Thought I'd pass that along.

What makes it interesting regarding Jones is we are bumping up against the three business day deadline if stories are true, and it appears, were he pulled back by the Braves, the next time, if there is a next time, he put back on, they must move his contract.

Perhaps more importantly, this being August 5th, the Braves have ten days to determine what to do regarding his 10/5 status, its impact on their upcoming sale and lessening payroll whether Time Warner continues to own them or they are sold to Liberty Media.

This is going to be quite a soap opera.

I believe that Cabrera and Willis may have been put there, so that teams would stop asking about them. But I don't know.

GM is right, Cabs and Willis were placed on waivers so that no teams could ask about them before the July 31st trade deadline

The deal on the table prior to the deadline was:

Astros get: Andruw Jones

Red Sox get: Roy Oswalt

Braves get: Crisp, Hansen and Lester

Two things blocked this trade. The Sox refusal to include Hansen (and inability to come to an agreement on a third player to the Braves) and the Astros concern that Jones had the ability as a 10/5 player traded in the middle of a long term contract to request a trade.

Years ago, any player sent through waivers would clear. Then starting with Steve Phillips and the Mets players started to be claimed to block potential deals. Andriw Jones is tradeable but as ya see above it would be for a kings randsom. Sort of what it would take to get a Willis or Cabrera from us. You wanna trade Willingham, Sanchez and Petit or Nolasco? That's probably what it would take. (not even considering a contract we'd never take)

Im pretty sure it was the Sox refusal to inclue Lester

We should try to get Vernon Wells. He is a free agent after the 2007 season, but if we could get Andrew Jones before that then that would be great. I would like to have either one of them playing CF for us they are both great fielders.

he wouldnt pass through waivers

GM is right, Cabs and Willis were placed on waivers so that no teams could ask about them before the July 31st trade deadline

Yet asked they did.

I don't see what one has to do with the other. Surely if Cabs or Willis was exposed to waivers, they would have been claimed and pulled back by the Marlins.

Yet asked they did.

I don't see what one has to do with the other. Surely if Cabs or Willis was exposed to waivers, they would have been claimed and pulled back by the Marlins.

Actually, no.

13 Dontrelle Willis, Marlins

OK, now that we've got your attention ... the Marlins made sure nobody would even waste their time asking about Willis this weekend. How? They put both Willis and their other walking trade rumor, Miguel Cabrera, on waivers late last week, according to multiple sources in both leagues. Those waivers were a meaningless technicality, and the Marlins clearly would have revoked both names if any team claimed them. So the only possible reason to place those particular players in waiver limbo at that particular moment in pre-deadline time was this: Players aren't allowed to be traded until their waivers expire. In the case of Willis and Cabrera, that happens to be just after Monday afternoon's trading deadline. So any Dontrelle rumors that pop up between now and the deadline are as fictional as "Gone With The Wind." And that's official.

that was from Jayson Stark a few days before the deadline I believe

Just to add some info

ESPN's Buster Olney says Andruw Jones has been claimed on waivers, though he doesn't know by which team.

This whole thing isn't much of a story. Jones can be traded to whichever team claimed him, but the only players the Braves could get in return are prospects not on the 40-man roster or players who fall to them on waivers. There's almost no way that they'd get the kind of talent they want in return for Jones in a waiver deal.

Source: ESPN.com