Alfonso Soriano

AJxAcex34

WASHINGTON -- Left fielder Alfonso Soriano was surprised to learn that he was placed on waivers on Tuesday. He figured that since he wasn't traded before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, he would remain with the Nationals for the rest of the season.

It's highly unlikely that Soriano will pass through waivers. If a team claims him -- National League teams have first crack at him -- the Nationals have two business days to make a deal with that club or pull Soriano off waivers. If the Nationals pulled Soriano back, he would be in Washington for the rest of the season.

"I don't know what to think," Soriano said. "It happened to me in Texas, too. But I'm surprised [the Nationals] put me on waivers. But as I always said, it's as if it's part of the game. If they didn't trade me before the trade deadline, why are they going to put me on waivers now?"

Soriano, who will be a free agent after the season, said he and the Nationals are not negotiating a contract. He wants to wait until after the season, a stance repeated by his agent, Diego Bentz. "It's not easy to [negotiate a contract] at this point, like we negotiate now and tomorrow we have a deal," Soriano said. "It takes [a long time]. [The Nationals] will have the first opportunity when I become a free agent. I hope everything works out for me and the team. Like I said before, I like it here, and I like my teammates and I like the city. They have the option, if I stay or I'm leaving."

Nats.com

The question is... can he play center?

Supposedly before the non-waiver deadline the Nationals wanted SOME of the following in a package:

Vargas

Pinto

Mitre

I would have done that in a HEARTBEAT. Hell, I'd give up all three for him.

Where do I sign? Vargas is going nowhere with the Marlins and the same goes with Mitre.

Meaning the package would just start with those three. The nats have new managment, they are going to be tough to trade and now they got that former Arizona scout so you know those three are nothing more then the starting bait.

If it "starts" with SOME of those players I doubt it would have included anyone else spectacular.

You said it yourself "Vargas is going nowhere with the Marlins and the same goes with Mitre"

They are trying to stock up their terrible farm system with talent and soriano is having a break out year and among the eaders in HR's. It could also involve us getting other players but I doubt the nats would do those three for Soriano just lik that knowing there success has not been so well this season.

Supposedly before the non-waiver deadline the Nationals wanted SOME of the following in a package:

Vargas

Pinto

Mitre

I like the way you think man :thumbup I would deffinately take that deal. It gives us a leadoff hitter and a power bat at the top of the order. That way we can move Hanley back down to the 7th spot to give us more speed at the bottom of the order. Vargas is having a horrendous season and with the emergence of the Rotation he's the odd man out same goes for Mitre. I like Pinto stuff but his control seems to always get the best of him. Make the deal now! lol

Vargas

Pinto

Mitre

Petit, not Mitre. And we offered just one of them. Bowden was asking for 2 top prospects and a third of significance.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...sp&c_id=mlb

i just saw it on espnews, apparantly he did not know, he was told by reporters, i dont have a link just saw it on espn, does anyone know anything about this? and do u guys think the marlins would go after again? i dont think anyone can block us except maybe the braves.

Not gonna happen now, my friend. The Marlins will be fighting to finish in third place, so why give up anything for a player who will be gone in October? Especially when it's not clear we'd even make an offer to keep him (and thereby get the compensatory draft picks) -- see Jones, Todd.

i just saw it on espnews, apparantly he did not know, he was told by reporters, i dont have a link just saw it on espn, does anyone know anything about this? and do u guys think the marlins would go after again? i dont think anyone can block us except maybe the braves.

Not gonna happen now, my friend. The Marlins will be fighting to finish in third place, so why give up anything for a player who will be gone in October? Especially when it's not clear we'd even make an offer to keep him (and thereby get the compensatory draft picks) -- see Jones, Todd.

Finally someone making sense you cant give away players for a rental player especially when its a long shot if this team contends

Vargas

Pinto

Mitre

Where do I sign? Vargas is going nowhere with the Marlins and the same goes with Mitre.

:crying

:censored

:fyou

:chair

Finally someone making sense you cant give away players for a rental player especially when its a long shot if this team contends

Why not sign him and offering him arbitration, its almost certain he wont accept, and then we get the compensatory picks. Soriano will msot def be an A free agent anyway

Vargas

Pinto

Mitre

Exactly.

I'm not a huge fan of short term rentals (Soriano will be a FA) at this point in the franchise's history, but Vargas is absolute trash and Mitre and Pinto aren't quite there yet but I don't know if they can be saved.

neither am I. why give up players that we could have for many years to come for ONE player that will play for us for the rest of the season? we're not even in contention. there's no purpose of soriano coming here.

Vargas

Pinto

Mitre

Exactly.

I'm not a huge fan of short term rentals (Soriano will be a FA) at this point in the franchise's history, but Vargas is absolute trash and Mitre and Pinto aren't quite there yet but I don't know if they can be saved.

neither am I. why give up players that we could have for many years to come for ONE player that will play for us for the rest of the season? we're not even in contention. there's no purpose of soriano coming here.

No logic in the move, but the common theme seems to be it doesn't matter as long as it includes Vargas-which is all the logic necessary.

I think the Marlins are dumb if they do not make this deal, if it becomes available.

1. The players mentioned are not helping us out, if anything they are hurting us.

2. It will add more excitement to an already exciting club to watch.

3. It really costs the Marlins nothing, becasue if he walks at the end we get draft picks.

4. We are taking away a power player from a division rival; leads to more wins.

I think the Marlins are dumb if they do not make this deal, if it becomes available.

1. The players mentioned are not helping us out, if anything they are hurting us.

2. It will add more excitement to an already exciting club to watch.

3. It really costs the Marlins nothing, becasue if he walks at the end we get draft picks.

4. We are taking away a power player from a division rival; leads to more wins.

ok, but that deal wont be made available anyway

it starts with one of our better prospects, imo

Prospects are prospects for a reason. The Marlins have enough young players that they can trade a few away if they need to.

Im not arguing with that, but it would take more than our mid level prospects to get Soriano, imo

WhaT thE heLL do u no n e waY?

:whistle

Nothing... Im just here for the free Bud Light

I don't want Soriano, and many smart fans wouldn't either. If the Marlins get him he'll just be traded for grade A draft picks if you know what I mean. Main reason why he didn't last with Washington was because he didn't want to change positions, what makes you think he would want to move to CF? Even though he is currently playing there for the nationals doesn't mean he wants to go elsewhere to do it, I don't want to move Uggla!!