Bullpen next year

Iowa

I'm bored until i go to work in an hour and a half and im sure this has been discussed before.. but here go

CP - Tank

SU - Kensing

MR - Messenger

MR - Pinto

MR - Resop

MR - Petit

LR - Mitre

1. Will Petit be in the pen next year?

2. I might have been a little rough on Pinto.. he's looked filthy at times, but with way to many 3-4 walk performances in between.. we'll need him as the lefty.

3. Has JoeBo been auditioning for a setup job somewhere next year? ..or do you think he'd come back to close next year? Do you want him back? He pitches to the deepest parts.. but you gotta love a vet like that in your pen, in some capacity.

4. It's a shame about Martinez.. I liked watching him pitch. Hopefully he can make a late comeback next season.

I think we'll have a pretty solid pen next year though, that's for sure.

JoBo wont be back next year and I dont think Petit goes to the pen

in fact I think we trade some grouping of Petit, Pinto, Bostick, etc and try to get a CF for the future, or a young catcher

and Messenger really needs to get some movement on that fastball... jeez

Tank's going to be a beast.

Petit will probably find himself in the rotation after one or two of the starters from this season are dealt for a centerfielder, or perhaps even Petit himself.

Borowski makes some sense for us, but why bother paying for average veteran relief when his quality can be replicated for substantially less than he'll command.

I'd love it if we'd just end the Randy "I'm a Mess"-enger experiment completely though, he just makes me uneasy.

scott tyler/veteran fa, logan kensing, randy messenger, chris resop, taylor tankersly, adam bostick/veteran fa, veteran FA

Tyler will get a good look in Spring Training (possibly September call up depending on how the WC goes). And I wonder if Jose Garcia might impress in ST next year. Who knows.

...and Messenger really needs to get some movement on that fastball... jeez

Gee, no kidding, I've been saying that since last season. It's amazing how flat that pitch is.

I still think it's about his mechanics (how he strides). I sometimes wonder how he made it as far as he did in the minors with that as his out pitch.

I really hope that isn't how our pen looks next year. We can't count on guys like Petit, Pinto, and Mitre, who are starters by trade and have all struggled in a relief role.

Tank and Kensing are nice setup/hold guys, and I think Resop could really be a nice addition to the pen next year (remember he's only been pitching a few years, and he looks like a keeper). You know they'll dip into the market ofr a couple of guys. Also, Scott Tyler will get a shot to join the club.

scott tyler/veteran fa, logan kensing, randy messenger, chris resop, taylor tankersly, adam bostick/veteran fa, veteran FA

Tyler will get a good look in Spring Training (possibly September call up depending on how the WC goes). And I wonder if Jose Garcia might impress in ST next year. Who knows.

The reason I think they'll go the cheap veteran FA route for 2 or 3 spots is because Garcia(Harvey) and Delgado could very well be ready to join the pen in 2008, as well Martinez hopefully being back from injury.

I really hope that isn't how our pen looks next year. We can't count on guys like Petit, Pinto, and Mitre, who are starters by trade and have all struggled in a relief role.

Tank and Kensing are nice setup/hold guys, and I think Resop could really be a nice addition to the pen next year (remember he's only been pitching a few years, and he looks like a keeper). You know they'll dip into the market ofr a couple of guys. Also, Scott Tyler will get a shot to join the club.

I have faith in Chris, its the other spots that kind of worry me. The bullpen is subject to a lot of change and we are going to need a number of capable relievers for when guys go down with injuries.

What's the status on Martinez? If he's back anytime soon he has a spot in the pen. From the farm I would like to see at least two of these three next year-Garcia, Bostick or Mildren. The Tank, Kensing and Messenger maybe even Resop too. Hard to say about Vargas where he fits or if he can get people out on a regular basis. Pinto or Petit should also merit a spot, hopefully September will begin the auditions for next year.

What's the status on Martinez? If he's back anytime soon he has a spot in the pen. From the farm I would like to see at least two of these three next year-Garcia, Bostick or Mildren. The Tank, Kensing and Messenger maybe even Resop too. Hard to say about Vargas where he fits or if he can get people out on a regular basis. Pinto or Petit should also merit a spot, hopefully September will begin the auditions for next year.

I think Tyler has a better chance over Garcia, Bostick and Mildren. In fact, why do I get this feeling that Mildren is Rule 5 eligible?

Does anyone else think it's a waste to give Tank a 9th inning role?

Why?

Closers are easy to replace when we're talking fungible quality (IE, the Billy Koch's and Keith Foulke's of the world), but Tank has the potential to be absolutely devastating. His breaking ball is downright abusive to left-handers and his fastball is lively and runs in hard on righties. He's a K per inning guy who walks just about no one and gets a ton of soft outs.

You put your best pitcher in the situation needed most, and in this day of specialized bullpen, that means the closer's role.

CP - Borowski

SU - Tank

MR - Kensing

MR - Martinez

MR - Resop

MR - Petit

LR - Pinto

Messenger and Mitre won't be back IMO. I can't wait for Carlos Martinez to be back, hope he's not affected long term. I think we keep Borowski for another year, he better not be expecting a raise though. I've never seen some of the young guys that the rest of you are high on, I hope to see some hot competition in the spring.

What happened to German?? Why did we let him go?