Top Rookies for MLB this year

Fishfan79

1. Justin Verlander - monsterous all year, no need to explaining

2. Francisco Liriano - great all year, no need for explaining

3. Dan Uggla - Set multiple records (HR/RBI) for rookie 2B and defense top 3 according to BA for 2B in the league .292 BA/.352 OBP/.499 Slg, 24HR, 85 RBI in the 2 hole

4. Jered Weaver - Amazing since his call up, 11-2, 2.30 era, 1.03 whip

5. Josh Johnson - Led the NL/MLB in Era most of the year, 12-7 3.10 era

6. Hanley Ramirez - .288 BA, .354 OBP, .453 Slugging, 37 2B, 10 3B, 48 SB

7. Jonathon Papelbon 4-2, 0.92 era, 75K, 35 Saves

8. Aninbal Sanchez (8-2 2 era range when starting and a NO Hitter)

9. Joel Zumaya 6-3, 1.98 era, .181 BAA

10. Andre Ethier .321 BA, 11 HR, 54 RBI, .877 OPS

11. Nick Markarkis .305 BA, 14 HR, 57 RBI,

12. Ryan Zimmerman .283 BA 18 HR, 96 RBI - Good defense

13. Scott Olsen 12-8, 3.98 era, 150K/165 IP

14. Russel Martin .292 BA, 8 HR, 57 RBI, great defense

15. Prince Fielder .276 BA, 25 HR, 73 RBI

16. Jeremy Sowers 7-4, 3.57 era, 1.19 whip

17. Matt Cain 12-9, 3.94 era, 156K

18. Josh Willingham .286 BA, 25 HR, 73 RBI

19. Melky Cabrera .284 BA, 7 HR, 71 Runs

20. Josh Barfield .283 BA, 12 HR, 53 RBI

Left Off: Ricky Nolasco, Kenji Johima, Taylor Tankersly, Mike Pelfrey, Lastings Milledge, Jeremy Hermida, Mike Jacobs, Shin Choo Choo, chris Duncan, Connor Jackson, Chuck James, Delmon Young, Ian Kinsler, Shane victorino

Any others or anyone I missed? I would love to hear others thoughts and lists.

I have been one of Papelbons biggest supporters, but he has 6 blown saves. That is not one of the top 5 seasons for a closer all-time.

Who cares if the closer gives up a run when his team is up 3? Isn't it more important that he doesn't give up the run when his team is up 1?

I'm assuming you're using 'had' as an escape clause, though, so I won't even bother to continue.

I'd still rank him 3rd behind Verlander and Liriano.

I have been one of Papelbons biggest supporters, but he has 6 blown saves. That is not one of the top 5 seasons for a closer all-time.

Who cares if the closer gives up a run when his team is up 3? Isn't it more important that he doesn't give up the run when his team is up 1?

I'm assuming you're using 'had' as an escape clause, though, so I won't even bother to continue.

Well actually I'm incorrect since his CEI (RA+ x (Saves x 2 ? SvOpp) x (162 / TeamG)) has gone down a little bit since the last time I did the calulations but he actually has the 6th best season with a CEI of 151.88.

Jose Mesa			 1995			 183.7
Dennis Eckersley	  1990			 178.3
Eric Gagne			2003			 171.1
Rollie Fingers		1981			 163.5
Mike Jackson		  1998			 155.9
Jonathan Papelbon	 2006			 151.88

I didn't use 'had' as an escape clause but used it as his season is over. I'm fine with putting him 3rd. :thumbup

Well actually I'm incorrect since his CEI (RA+ x (Saves x 2 ? SvOpp) x (162 / TeamG)) has gone down a little bit since the last time I did the calulations but he actually has the 6th best season with a CEI of 151.88.

Jose Mesa 1995 183.7

Dennis Eckersley 1990 178.3

Eric Gagne 2003 171.1

Rollie Fingers 1981 163.5

Mike Jackson 1998 155.9

Jonathan Papelbon 2006 151.88

I didn't use 'had' as an escape clause but used it as his season is over. I'm fine with putting him 3rd. :thumbup

I'm not even going to act like I know what that stat is or how respected it is among the sabermetric community.

What I do know is this: 6 blown saves out of 41 chances is not that good.

It's solid, but it's definitely not top 5 all-time.

Matt Cain is having just as good a year as Justin Verlander:

3.75 ERA, 10th in the NL, 2nd among NL rookies (Verlander 3.42)

163 Ks, 10th in the NL, 1st among MLB rookies (Verlander 119)

13 wins, 8th in the NL, 1st among NL rookies (Verlander 16)

2.09 K/BB ratio, 2nd among NL rookies (Verlander 2.16)

8.5 K/9IP, 4th in the NL, 1st among MLB rookies (Verlander .607)

.591 Win%, 3rd among NL rookies (Verlander .667)

1.21 WHIP, 9th in the NL, 1st among MLB rookies (Verlander 1.30)

.212 BAA, 1st in MLB (Verlander .273)

.297 Opponents OBP, 6th in NL, 10th in MLB, , 1st among MLB rookies (Verlander .334)

.346 Opponents slugging percentage, 1st in MLB (Verlander 4.10)

.644 Opponents OPS, 2nd in NL, 3rd in MLB, 1st among MLB rookies (Verlander .743)

Verlander ranks higher on the sole basis that he faces better competition

The top 10 pitchers should be:

1. Justin Verlander

2. Matt Cain

3. Francisco Liriano (would be a runaway #1 if he hadn't gotten hurt)

4. Jered Weaver (like Liriano, numbers stretched out to a full season would rank him #1)

5. Johnathan Papelbon

6. Takashi Saito (people overlook the great year he's having, as he's been arguably the best closer in the NL)

7. Scott Olsen

8. Josh Johnson

9. Clay Hensley (Overlook his 8-11 record and he's having a hell of a rookie year...i think trading him will haunt us more than Liriano, as 1, it's a division rival, and 2, Liriano will wind up being another Wood-Prior-Harden-Burnett type)

10. Chad Billingsley (stretched out to a full season he would be at the top as well, but hasn't been flat out dominating in his appearances like Liriano and Weaver)

Position players:

1. Josh Willingham .880 OPS

2. Andre Ethier .874 OPS

3. Dan Uggla .851 OPS

4. Prince Fielder .835 OPS

5. Nick MArkakis .822 OPS

6. Hanley Ramirez .813 OPS

7. Ryan Zimmerman .812 OPS

8. Conor Jackson .807 OPS

9. Mike Jacobs .806 OPS

10. Mike Napoli .820 OPS

I am not ready to put cain honestly at the top of the class yet I want to see if he can keep up dominating or if he will go back to how he was at the beggining of the year. He is good but Johnson went through the same period. You can make an arguement that Sanchez has been better then him too.

I have to add Chris Duncan and Chuck James to the Honorable mentions.

I am not ready to put cain honestly at the top of the class yet I want to see if he can keep up dominating or if he will go back to how he was at the beggining of the year. He is good but Johnson went through the same period. You can make an arguement that Sanchez has been better then him too.

From all the top prospect lists, Cain was rated higher than all of these guys, with the exception of Verlander and Liriano...unlike most of the guys on the list who've exceeded expectations, Cain was expected to be like this...he is also the youngest guy on the list as well, which could account for his early season struggles

After his 1-5 start with a 7.05 ERA, the fact that he was kept on the major league roster (the only rookie in baseball who wouldn't have been sent down), says a lot...it's not like he was some nobody who came out of nowhere to have the season he did...for two years, we heard so much about him, how good he was going to be, etc. etc, and he has only fulfilled his expectations

Cole Hamels may need to be added a well. He could be the best Phillies pitcher right now

don't see why fielder is in front of willingham they have the same HR/RBI's but willy has the better average

From a defensive standpoint I don't think Willingham is as good as Fielder. Fielder is quite the athlete for such a round guy. So with other stats nearly equivalent, i'd give Prince the nod.