Palm Beach Post: Fredi Gonzalez will replace Girardi

fauowls44

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...arlinsfeed.html

Final homestand for Marlins, Girardi begins Tuesday night

By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, September 25, 2006

With the Marlins all but eliminated from playoff contention, the only drama remaining for the club concerns the fate of manager Joe Girardi.

Not whether he will be fired, but when.

"I don't think anything would shock me at this point," said a person close to the situation. "Either way, it's all going to shake out in the next six days."

That is how many days remain in the season for Florida, which faces Cincinnati tonight to begin a six-game homestand against the Reds and Philadelphia.

Girardi, whose relationship with owner Jeffrey Loria has soured, has said he won't resign. Loria refused to say Monday whether he would have Girardi complete the season, although that is likely.

Dismissing him before the finale Sunday would draw added attention to the ouster of a manager who kept a rookie-laden team with a tiny payroll in playoff contention for much of the season.

"It's an amazing story," said Chicago Cubs center fielder Juan Pierre, who was traded from the Marlins during the off-season as part of a payroll purge. "He has a chance to be Manager of the Year and get fired. That's hard to believe."

Firing Girardi before the Marlins' final out also could leave the club without a full coaching staff. Bench coach Gary Tuck, pitching coach Rick Kranitz and third-base coach Bobby Meacham have personal loyalties to Girardi and likely would walk away with him or be fired along with him.

Girardi is believed to be owed $1.5 million for the remaining two years of his contract, but the Marlins might be off the hook if he took another managing job.

If he were not fired quickly but got an offer from another team, the Marlins would be able to seek compensation to let him go. Before the 2003 season, the Seattle Mariners got outfielder Randy Winn from Tampa Bay in exchange for letting the Devil Rays sign manager Lou Piniella.

The most likely replacement for Girardi is believed to be Braves third-base coach Fredi Gonzalez, a native of Cuba who coached in the Marlins' system for 12 years. One National League club executive said Gonzalez would get the job as soon as Girardi left.

Gonzalez was the choice of Marlins General Manager Admin Beinfest last October, when he sought a replacement for Jack McKeon, but Loria wanted Girardi.

People close to Gonzalez said they don't believe he would be scared off because Marlins executives and Girardi were unable to co-exist.

"Fredi would be good in any clubhouse," said Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee, who was a Marlins coach with Gonzalez. "He's a good communicator. He's fun. He likes to keep guys loose. He had a good relationship with all the Marlins guys."

Gonzalez, 42, wouldn't comment on his prospects. Privately, he has told people close to the Braves organization that he would like to one day manage in Florida, where his parents live and where he coached alongside former manager John Boles from 1999 through 2002.

After Gonzalez left the Marlins, he led Atlanta's Class AAA club in Richmond, Va., to a 75-67 record in 2002 before joining the Braves as third-base coach under manager Bobby Cox.

"The years he spent with Bolesy were very, very good," said Dubee, who also noted the value of working for Cox. "He spends a lot of time talking to Bobby and I'm sure picking Bobby's brain. Fredi will be very prepared."

Gonzalez said he has tried to emulate the way Cox deals each day with players, coaches, the media and others.

"You'd have no idea if we're up by 50 games or down by 50 games," Gonzalez said in an interview with Morris News Service. "That's the one way I'd love to be like, the same guy every day."

He's my choice. He should have been hired the first go round, but he didn't have the cache that Girardi carried with his mutliple word series rings and Yankee pedigree.

I don't think the Marlins will have a difficult time finding a replacement manager though, so maybe we should interview a few and see who is available before making a hiring decision.

Guest FishFanInPA

lemme just say that if he wins manager of the year and he gets fired, it's another black eye to this organization.....I don't care who gets along with whom...you put that sh*t aside and swallow your pride. I hope players revolt against it.....Girardi's a rookie manager for christ sake!!! Everyone makes mistakes.

Guest FishFanInPA

YOU DONT FIRE THE MANAGER OF A TEAM THAT MAKES THIS SEASON RELEVANT....

Admin Beinfest made this season relivent.

Go watch a Twins game.

Go worry about the Reds.....You wish you had a manager as good as Girardi.

dont cross the boss.

the lesson here is that Admin beinfest runs this organization and jeffey loria hopefully has learned this lesson.

joe girardi would still be manager if he had any type of working relationship with the general manager of this team.

Agreed.

I would have preferred Fredi last season anyways.

Go watch a Twins game.

No I don't.

For some reason, Girardi thought he was the manager, GM, and the owner. It doesn't work that way.

dont cross the boss.

the lesson here is that Admin beinfest runs this organization and jeffey loria hopefully has learned this lesson.

joe girardi would still be manager if he had any type of working relationship with the general manager of this team.

Agreed.

I would have preferred Fredi last season anyways.

That makes 2 of us. But I would have liked to see Joe come back after the way this season played out.

i like the article but the only thing is.. would Kranitz really walk out?

if there is anyone u want to keep, its him. becuz u know that Hill will be back next year.

just wondering about that situation and what will go down wit that.

krantiz is gone.

oh ok was just wondering. this offseason sure will be exciting.

Go watch a Twins game.

No I don't.

For some reason, Girardi thought he was the manager, GM, and the owner. It doesn't work that way.

Wrong.

Girardi just wanted to manage without the owner getting caught up in the moment and chirping at the umpire over balls and strikes.

Girardi doesnt deserve to be accussed of wanting to be the GM and the owner.

Can you guys show a friking ounce of respect to the guy in his last days as manager?

Guess you were right about Joey Pitbull all along...

:whistle

The man does not know how to work with people. Simple.

Excuse me but did you go to summer camp with Girardi?

How the f*** do you know if he can work with people or not?