Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

More Centerfield talk - Who's left

Featured Replies

Just wanted to try and mention everybody who's been brought up in one place and update on the ones who've become less likely.

 

Willy Taveras - Not very popular on here, but we've all heard the Marlins had interest in him even before he raised his value with a 30-game hit streak. Seeing as how the Astros didn't pick up Gary Matthews Jr., I can't imagine them replacing Taveras at this point. so I don't think He'll be moving.

 

David Roberts - is going to San Francisco.

 

Juan Pierre, and pretty much every other FA CF has been signed (JP to LA).

 

Terry Evans, Tommy Murphy and Reggie Willits - good suggestions from Marlins2003, as the Angels have signed GMJ and also have Vlad, so there aren't enough OF spots to play all three of them, so logic should dictate that if we can satisfy some other need of theirs that they might be willing to give one up. Willits had that very very nice OBP in AAA, so if we wanted to move Hanley down in the order, Willits would be a good option.

 

Joey Gathright - We wanted him last year and the DRays wanted too much. Now after a horrid performance in TB and then a late resurgence when he fled to KC, maybe KC would be more reasonable trade partners than Tampa. Still remains to be seen if we have something they want.

 

Shane Costa & Mitch Maier - a corner OF from KC and minor league CF. Maier being good for some of the same reasons as Willits, even if he hasn't played at quite the same level yet.

 

Felix Pie - given that the Cubs have signed Soriano to play CF and they haven't moved any other OFers, it remains to be seen how willing they are to trade him to fill pitching needs.

 

Am I missing anyone?

I'm sure there's several candidates we haven't discussed yet in fact I can think of several, but what it comes *down to which road you think the front office will travel*. Do you think the Marlins *are willing* to commit millions over the next three years to a Baldelli or Taveras or someone else who is either under contract or about to enter their arbitration years *at the same time they try and hold onto Willis and Cabrera*, or do you think the Marlins will continue to try and find developable talent that fits with what they started last season?

 

Obviously, I believe the latter. That's why you've read me bringing up Willits, Costa, Gathright and now Maier.

 

BTW, thanks for the comment on Willits et al but truth be told I didn't "find" Willits, a freelance writer put him together with the Marlins as a good get for the team. What I did was research the heck out of the guy.

 

*edit*

Just wanted to try and mention everybody who's been brought up in one place and update on the ones who've become less likely.

 

Willy Taveras - Not very popular on here, but we've all heard the Marlins had interest in him even before he raised his value with a 30-game hit streak. Seeing as how the Astros didn't pick up Gary Matthews Jr., I can't imagine them replacing Taveras at this point. so I don't think He'll be moving.

 

David Roberts - is going to San Francisco.

 

Juan Pierre, and pretty much every other FA CF has been signed (JP to LA).

 

Terry Evans, Tommy Murphy and Reggie Willits - good suggestions from Marlins2003, as the Angels have signed GMJ and also have Vlad, so there aren't enough OF spots to play all three of them, so logic should dictate that if we can satisfy some other need of theirs that they might be willing to give one up. Willits had that very very nice OBP in AAA, so if we wanted to move Hanley down in the order, Willits would be a good option.

 

Joey Gathright - We wanted him last year and the DRays wanted too much. Now after a horrid performance in TB and then a late resurgence when he fled to KC, maybe KC would be more reasonable trade partners than Tampa. Still remains to be seen if we have something they want.

 

Shane Costa & Mitch Maier - a corner OF from KC and minor league CF. Maier being good for some of the same reasons as Willits, even if he hasn't played at quite the same level yet.

 

Felix Pie - given that the Cubs have signed Soriano to play CF and they haven't moved any other OFers, it remains to be seen how willing they are to trade him to fill pitching needs.

 

Am I missing anyone?

 

Your missing Rocco Baldelli the best one out of all those you listed

You guys my guess is Beinfest won't make a move for the centerfield spot this offseason. My gut instincts tell me that we'll be players at the trade deadline and waiver wire next season.

Matt Kemp, Ryan Langerhans

 

I've excluded Matt Kemp from my thinking because I can't imagine getting him for a reasonable price (a prospect not named Chris Volstad or a starter like Nolasco) but don't misunderstand, he works for me. Does strikeout alot though.

 

As for Langerhans, can he even play CF? Wanna find a way to get RL as a corner outfielder, I'm game but he does strike out a ton, but CF? I don't know.

Is there anyway we can do a tread like this but have every players stats, scouting reports, salary etc:. I don't know too much about these players and I bet others are in the same boat as me.

Matt Kemp, Ryan Langerhans

 

I've excluded Matt Kemp from my thinking because I can't imagine getting him for a reasonable price (a prospect not named Chris Volstad or a starter like Nolasco) but don't misunderstand, he works for me. Does strikeout alot though.

 

As for Langerhans, can he even play CF? Wanna find a way to get RL as a corner outfielder, I'm game but he does strike out a ton, but CF? I don't know.

I'm pretty sure he played a pretty good CF when Andruw Jones was out this year

Dont think Atlanta moves Langerhans with Jones gone after this year most likely (perhaps before), but if so sure give them a buzz.

 

Baldelli, BJ Upton, even Dukes should be added to the list.

 

Kemp I am very high on his potential he might cost a bit but his potential is a 5 tool talent.

Rocco. :thumbup

The word from the Tampa Beat writers is that Baldelli is "tradeable" but it is very unlikely...It would cost us D-Train or someone like that. In other words he will not be a Marlin anytime soon. The D-Rays would however trade us BJ Upton

  • Author

...Doh! :banghead

 

Forgot all the Baldelli & Crawford talk for some odd reason...

 

Crawford - definately would cost more than we are willing to give, and he doesn't generally play CF either.

 

Baldelli - the cost might be on the max edge of what we are willing to trade - BUT, I have to voice my concerns about the guys health. For a guy who has only played 3 ML seasons, he has a rather disturbing trend of his total number of games dropping, first by about 20, then by about 40, to having played in less than 100 games last year. He would be great if he were healthy consistently. But given that rather large if, I'm not sure he's worth what Tampa would ask of us. I don't like the idea of giving up a starter for a guy who (if he simply repeats last year) can potentially end up playing less than 100 games. Worse yet, there's a very real possibility that it could get worse.

Didn't want to start it's own thread but the Arizona Diamondbacks picked up another starting caliber CF in Dave Krynzel. With Chris Young and him, maybe one of them will become available for us at a cheaper (not Dontrelle) price ?

  • Author

How could you possibly know what Tampa Bay's asking price for Baldelli would be? It sounds like you are talking out of your ass with that one.

well that's awfully constructive...

 

Again, lets try to look at past behavior, as it is generally the best predictor of future behavior. Not perfect mind you, but people staying the same will always be more likely than people changing. So lets look at it logically.

 

Joey Gathright - not a bad player, but not exceptional, at least in terms of what's been shown thus far. We wanted him because of the need for speed in our CF. Didn't do tons during his time in Tampa. They wanted Scott Olsen for him according to every source of information available.

 

Rocco Baldelli - much better numbers, much more ML experience, and much more highly regarded. How exactly do you figure that he is going to come cheaper? Or do you think a guy with the injury question marks that Baldelli has is worth giving up Olsen, JJ, or Sanchez and possibly more?

  • Author

Penguino - logically doesn't apply to the DRays. That is why they have been what they are, and will continue to be. I certainly hope the organization isn't going to trade any of the 3 I mentioned for Baldelli (all things considered) and I don't think Tampa is hoping to take Mitre & Petit for him. Realistically, what do YOU think Tampa will ask for? and do you think a guy who very realistically could end up playing less than 100 games is worth that price? not to mention adding another 2 million or so to the payroll.

 

At least you hit the nail on the head about one thing - there are no CF FAs left. And by ML standards (not Marlins standards), Baldelli would be very cheap.

 

How about Shane Victorino? I've seen his name mentioned here before. Would the Phils be willing to deal him?

I would love Victorino, but I can't think of anything they'd take that we would want to give them for someone of his quality. I'd like to avoid trading within the division. Would only see a division rival sending us a CF if they were trying to unload their contract (like trying to claim Andruw Jones off waivers since now he has no-trade protection). But even that isn't happening. I would like to see it since Rowand is blocking him at CF, but I don't expect it.

I guess i am talking out of my "ass". I have no idea what conversations are in place same as everyone else here unless we have anyone in our FO office posting, I can only go with what i read, It is being said Baldelli isn't going anywhere unless the D-Rays get an offer they just can't refuse. IMO that sounds more like Dontrelle than it does Olsen or JJ. Unfotunately politeness is a little lacking in this forum but that is ok . If anyone wants clarification about my comments they can just ask anytime, but it always seems that it's easier just to put down fellow forum members. It would make for better conversations to decrease the snobish, elitist attitudes and be a little less crass with each other. Anyway I undertood what was being asked

  • Author

Has anyone signed Kenny Lofton?

 

I think he'd be a good fit for us.

Not yet. I'd give Lofton a shot for the right price. We could also pick up CF prospects at the same time to see who works out past 2007, because Lofton can't be a long-term solution.

  • Author

...I suppose we can agree to disagree on this.

 

I am more skeptical about the future of Baldelli than I am of Nolasco or Jacobs. Jacobs, injured himself and platooned heavily by the end, played in 34 more games than Baldelli, consequently driving in considerably more runs.

 

Baldelli on the other hand, seems to have his health deteriorating at an alarming rate. While he hits for a higher average, gets on base more, and slugged at a higher rate this year, the fact that he barely played in more that half the games this season negates that to a degree. If the trend continues (and I don't know that it will, but I don't imagine Baldelli will suddenly have an injury free year either) he would end up playing less than half the season. Does that not concern you when trading a good 5th starter who also has bullpen potential and a potential 20-30 HR Lefty bat? Does it concern you that even if it doesn't get any worse, he's still playing in less than 2/3rds of the team's games?

 

BTW, I think they would ask for one of the other 4 over Nolasco in this deal.

 

2 more things...

Just because the Devil Rays overall have been the joke of baseball since their inception doesn't mean their front office is run by clowns. We have no idea what they are thinking.

It doesn't mean it, it is simply indicative of it.

And given that you too have no idea what they are thinking, are you "talking out of your a$$" when you think they will take Nolasco & Jacobs? Because at least I'm basing my opinion on previously reported discussion(the Gathright-Olsen non-trade).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.