Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jacobs/Duffy Rumor?

Featured Replies

I agree with TSwift on that trade with baldelli. I put that up to the table weeks back and it seems like an even trade for both parties.

 

I still see Duffy as a good alternative because of his defense/speed and one that would prove not costly, an outfield of Ross/Borchard - Duffy and a healthy Hermida would be at the least league average.

And it's sad that some can be so ignorant that they ignore he had THE WORST OPS by any full time NL first-baseman.

 

And it wasn't slim either, everyone else was above .800, Jacobs was the only full time 1B below .800.

 

Thanks for playing.

You'll have to qualify "full time" for the purposes of this discussion, because there certainly were other 1B who had significantly lower OPS (Doug Mientkiewicz for example) who were serving as close to full time as Jacobs. It's also disingenious of you to say that "it's wasn't slim either" as if Jacobs was like 50 points under 800. His OPS was 798. A simple look at the sortable stats on MLB.com shows you 1B with more playing time (ABs) than Jacobs with OPS under 810. Not exactly a blowout.

 

I said NL full time. There's nothing "disingenuous" about that. If anything, you're being "disingenious" [sic] by presenting Mientkiewicz as he doesn't even qualify for a batting title in the AL. As it stands, Jacobs is the ONLY fulltime firstbaseman in baseball to have a sub .800 OPS.

 

Besides, Mientkiewicz' defense offsets his trouble at the plate.

 

There is no other first baseman in baseball who is bottom third in the league (be it AL or NL) in both fielding percentage and OPS. And EVERY SINGLE fulltime AL 1st baseman has a higher fielding percentage and OPS than Jacobs.

 

Just looking at the numbers, you could make a case we have the worst firstbaseman in all of baseball. But, I guess we should hang onto him. :thumbup

Why do we continue to discuss trading for Baldelli? Baldelli isn't going anywhere. Duffy is on the market so we can focus on him. At what cost?...probably a decent prospect or maybe even Nolasco. I wouldnt wanna give up on Nolasco right now

If we trade for Duffy, Gonzalez or Capps better be included in the package. I have no issue dealing them Jacobs + something decent for a combo of those two. I don't really like Duffy, but he'd certainly be useful even as a 4th OF for a few years at a minimum. I'm more interested in the RP.

  • Author

I'd rather have Baldelli, Coco Crisp or Brian Anderson simply on a skill level. But if Mike Jacobs alone is the bait that won't fetch Rocco or Crisp and the Sox are are not looking to add Mike Jacobs. Chris Duffy would look great batting second behind Hanley and moving Hanley to the #5 or $6 spot.

 

And if one of our pitching prospects interests them I'd love to see John Grabow head this way too.

 

These two teams can definitly put together a deal that helps each team.

I still have a gut feeling that Jacobs will hit .300 next year

you should probably take some pepcid for that feeling

I still have a gut feeling that Jacobs will hit .300 next year

 

That is not the kind of hitter he is. But if one only looks at the months he was healthy, his OPS was .931. I think that Hermida and Jacobs, if they avoid the kind of nagging injuries that beset them this season, are both .850 - .900 OPS guys.

I said NL full time. There's nothing "disingenuous" about that. If anything, you're being "disingenious" [sic] by presenting Mientkiewicz as he doesn't even qualify for a batting title in the AL. As it stands, Jacobs is the ONLY fulltime firstbaseman in baseball to have a sub .800 OPS.

 

Besides, Mientkiewicz' defense offsets his trouble at the plate.

 

There is no other first baseman in baseball who is bottom third in the league (be it AL or NL) in both fielding percentage and OPS. And EVERY SINGLE fulltime AL 1st baseman has a higher fielding percentage and OPS than Jacobs.

 

Just looking at the numbers, you could make a case we have the worst firstbaseman in all of baseball. But, I guess we should hang onto him. :thumbup

I missed where you said NL, but kinda besides the point. But does this mean we also have the worst fulltime RF in all of baseball (700 OPS for Hermida)?

 

BTW, you never did explain what qualifies as fulltime. If you could please, that would help.

Nick Duffy!?

 

You better not do this.

Chris

Haha woops, but the Pirates CFer. You still better not do it.

 

Nick Duffy is a former NIU linebacker, that's where that name came from.

Nick Duffy!?

 

You better not do this.

Chris

Haha woops, but the Pirates CFer. You still better not do it.

why not?

Nick Duffy!?

 

You better not do this.

Chris

Haha woops, but the Pirates CFer. You still better not do it.

why not?

.655 OPS?

 

 

He has no power and doesn't take any walks.

 

He's fast, and that's it.

 

Jacbos drove in 77 runs in only 128 games last year. What you need to do is find him a platoon partner. Go get somebody like LeCroy, Wilson, or Perez to play 1B vs. LHP. Jacobs had an .860 OPS vs. RHP last year, and it was only his 1st full season. I think you could get alot more for him then Duffy.

Nick Duffy!?

 

You better not do this.

Chris

Haha woops, but the Pirates CFer. You still better not do it.

why not?

.655 OPS?

 

 

He has no power and doesn't take any walks.

 

He's fast, and that's it.

 

Jacbos drove in 77 runs in only 128 games last year. What you need to do is find him a platoon partner. Go get somebody like LeCroy, Wilson, or Perez to play 1B vs. LHP. Jacobs had an .860 OPS vs. RHP last year, and it was only his 1st full season. I think you could get alot more for him then Duffy.

I mean I don't want Duffy either.. just interested in hearing why.

I am sorry, bash me if you must, in Duffy I see Todd Dunwoody. PASS!

ok?

Since I seem to be the most gung-ho for this move, allow to me elaborate in the pro-Duffy camp.

 

1) The article suggests that the Pirates are aware that Duffy doesn't have tremendous trade value.

 

2) The reasonable ones among us know Jacobs doesn't have much trade value either.

 

As intelligent baseball fans, one knows the most "replaceable" positions for players of no better than slightly better than league average are the corners. Therefore, when you have a boom/bust centerfielder and a boom/bust "power" hitting first baseman, it's a no brainer ten times out of ten that the team getting the centerfielder needs to pull the trigger.

 

If all it takes is a one for one, sign me up.

I still have a gut feeling that Jacobs will hit .300 next year

you should probably take some pepcid for that feeling

I probably should. I think he'll be a better hitter than what he's shown so far. He hit well when he was up with the mets..

Amezaga + Ross are better than Duffy, I think.

 

Look at the HR numbers.

 

13+3 vs. 2... That's It.

 

I know that It is not a long term plan, but It's good to be a short term plan.

Amezaga + Ross are better than Duffy, I think.

 

Look at the HR numbers.

 

13+3 vs. 2... That's It.

 

I know that It is not a long term plan, but It's good to be a short term plan.

 

 

look at the SB numbers, range, fielding, arm

 

defense won in 2003 not big bats

Amezaga + Ross are better than Duffy, I think.

 

Look at the HR numbers.

 

13+3 vs. 2... That's It.

 

I know that It is not a long term plan, but It's good to be a short term plan.

 

 

look at the SB numbers, range, fielding, arm

 

defense won in 2003 not big bats

Duffy doesn't have much of an arm

Amezaga + Ross are better than Duffy, I think.

 

Look at the HR numbers.

 

13+3 vs. 2... That's It.

 

I know that It is not a long term plan, but It's good to be a short term plan.

 

 

look at the SB numbers, range, fielding, arm

 

defense won in 2003 not big bats

Josh Beckett becoming jesus won 2003.

 

And if we got Duffy, they still better platoon Cody vs LHP in CF 30+ games. The splits work RHP/LHP. Duffy/Ross is a substantial upgrade from 2006.

 

Don't think he's worth Jacobs though.

I am not saying he is worth Jacobs or is not. But, I think he is better then that plantoon crap. I really really dont like that.

I don't think Mike Jacobs is going to become Jim Thome or anything, but does the fact that he was a rookie count for anything?

 

Yes I know he wasn't a 22 year-old rookie... it was still his first full season in the bigs.

 

People sure are down on him...

 

Hey I'd be just fine dealing him if it's part of a larger package (or series of trades) that markedly improves the team. However if we're just moving Hammer to 1st, signing a "maybe" center fielder, then plugging in Ross/Borchard/whomever in left....

 

Dunno.... doesn't work for me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.