Will the Marlins compete in 2007 or was 2006 a fluke?

furcalchick

on some braves forums (i'm a braves fan, so sue me), most of the fans still see the marlins as a joke and that 2006 was a fluke of overacheivent by the baby marlins. again, many of them said that this team would lose 100 games and be a league laughing stock, while i said they would win 70 something games before the season started, way higher than what most people said. then again, i'm the only braves fan that i know of that watchs the marlins alot. they claim that in 2007, the team will not be any good at all, and that their pitching staff is in dissaray with dontrelle in trouble with the law, thus dismissing the rest of the young staff. i keep saying that this marlins team in 2007 will be a threat to win the nl east, but of course i get called ethier a marlin aplogilst or biased or something along those lines. i know this team will be good next year, and i feel could take the east if they beat philly, as the mets and my braves took a step back, but i need a bit of help convincing the rest of the league that the marlins are a legit team to watch out for instead of an overacheving fluke.

Olsen, Sanchez and Johnson all concern me for different reasons.

Olsen and Sanchez saw very large IP jumps from this year to last, so there is certainly concerns about effectiveness and health going forward.

Johnson ended the season with injury after watching performance progressively decline so the "sophomore slump" is a very real possibility for him.

Plus you never know what you're getting with Dontrelle, and with Nolasco, you know it's going to take at least 4 runs a game to keep you in it all the time.

I'd say we're far more likely to take a huge step back than a huge step forward, unless Miggy finds a way to hit .340 with 45 HR's next season.

At the rate the offseason is going for the Marlins I expect them to perform in 2007 about the same as last season with a small bit of variance in either direction.

I agree with you completely.

I see decreases in production - Uggla, Anibal, Johnson, Boone (compared to Helms)

I see increases in production - Hermida, Dontrelle, Tank/Gregg/Pinto/Owens being a better pen, hopefully CF

I see minor fluctuations each way - Hanley, Olsen, Jacobs

I see consistency - Cabrera, Hammer, etc

I see a frustrating 74-84 win team that has massive longterm potential and we wonder why aren't killing people, but just needs another year or two to work it out. One of the pitchers is going to bomb like Zach Duke or Lowry, but probably one of them busts out a Matt Cain second half. All in all, I see consistency in W/L from 2006 as a good year because consistency with youth, is an overall improvement towards getting better.

2008, and really 2009, are still the target contending dates.

Why does everyone here always think the glass is half empty? We have too much talent to not improve on last season, and to not challenge the NL East/Wild Card. If Hermida becomes some variation of the player we expect (which should happen) than the lineup should be fine. I can't see any problems in the rotation happening. If someone f***s up, you have tons of options to replace them with, and I'm sure you'll strike gold eventually. The bullpen and centerfield are my only concerns, and I highly doubt Beinfest lets those go unaddressed before ST starts.

Why does everyone here always think the glass is half empty? We have too much talent to not improve on last season, and to not challenge the NL East/Wild Card. If Hermida becomes some variation of the player we expect (which should happen) than the lineup should be fine. I can't see any problems in the rotation happening. If someone f***s up, you have tons of options to replace them with, and I'm sure you'll strike gold eventually. The bullpen and centerfield are my only concerns, and I highly doubt Beinfest lets those go unaddressed before ST starts.

I see where your coming from but you can't be blind to the immense holes in the bullpen (thusfar).

The bullpen (as is) will lose a tone of ballgames for the 2007 squad.

And I'm talkin heartbreakers.

I see where your coming from but you can't be blind to the immense holes in the bullpen (thusfar).

The bullpen (as is) will lose a tone of ballgames for the 2007 squad.

And I'm talkin heartbreakers.

A possibility, yes. But the options we have for the bullpen all have pretty good stuff, and all have potential to come through. You really never know with a bullpen, it's always very hit or miss. One year a reliever can be an All-Star closer, the next he blows 10 saves with a 5.00+ ERA, and a washed up bum can save 50 and win the Rolaids Relief award. sh*t happens...

The Marlins glaring deficiencies from 2006 remain and look to continue to bite us in the ... in 2007 ? the lack of a quality CF, bullpen weakness and overall poor fielding. There is also the question of how the 2006 rookies will adjust to their second year now that the league has gotten a good look at them. Plus we have to wonder whether or not the huge IP leap Anibal and Olsen took last season will lead to injury this season (and hope that it doesn't).

But our competition in 2007 gives me hope. The Mets rotation (with their #1 and #2 both over the age of 40) and bullpen look like they will be weaker and Lo Duca, Delgado, Green, Alou and Valentin aren't getting any younger. The Phillies bullpen will be weaker and their big additions to their rotation this offseason were Adam Eaton and Freddy Garcia. The Nats are still the worst team in the NL. The only team I expect to be stronger in 2007 are the Braves, but I don't think their bullpen additions and the return of Mike Hampton will not be enough to put them over the top.

Overall it is pretty murky and I think there is a chance the season could turn out to be frustrating, but I wouldn't count the Marlins completely out and there are definitely some reasons to like the Marlins chances in 2007.

I think you'll see a team very similar to 2006 without the horrific start. I think this team has a very realistic shot at .500 this year.

My sentiments exactly. Better roster management. Better in-game decision-making. For every player who might miss last year's mark there's another who will exceed theirs. The biggest concern is everyone staying healthy. This is still a team reshaping itself.

I'm one that thinks this team is going to keep improving before our very eyes.

I think Scott Olsen is going to win 16+ games with 200+ Ks and I think DTrain returns to '05 form. I also think Hermida comes back strong and a healthy Jacobs puts up 30 bombs... an improved Hanley (scary) and I think Cabrera makes the jump in to serious MVP consideration.

I am very excited about this team