Official Nick Saban Thread

MrAndMrsFish

MIAMI ? (AP) ? Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban needs another day to consider a job offer from Alabama.

Saban met with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga at the team complex for 10 minutes Tuesday and asked for more time to decide.

"The meeting went good,'' Huizenga said. ??We had a quick meeting. We had a nice conversation. Coach asked if we could defer the decision until 10 o'clock tomorrow morning. And then he went into several reasons as to why he wanted to do that. I agree 100 percent with his reasons. I understand more now what he's thinking about.''

Saban smiled and waved at reporters as he left the complex, but didn't stop to talk. For weeks he denied

interest in the Alabama job, which became vacant when Mike Shula was fired in late November.

"I am not upset,'' Huizenga said. "I love Nick Saban. I hope he stays. I'm optimistic.''

For the most part the media is hyping this up to an extreme. By talking to Alabama he is simply NOT burning bridges. In my opinion it would be stupid for him to leave the NFL. Money is better in the NFL. Sure they are offering more overall but in 4 years $4.5 million a year isnt gonna be much compared to what he can make. I think he is just listening to what they have to say and he will politely reject the offer. In a few years who knows, Saban might be looking to go back to college and Alabama might be a place he wants to go.

For the most part the media is hyping this up to an extreme. By talking to Alabama he is simply NOT burning bridges. In my opinion it would be stupid for him to leave the NFL. Money is better in the NFL. Sure they are offering more overall but in 4 years $4.5 million a year isnt gonna be much compared to what he can make. I think he is just listening to what they have to say and he will politely reject the offer. In a few years who knows, Saban might be looking to go back to college and Alabama might be a place he wants to go.

Alabama is going to offer him about the same he would make in the nfl and he would be guarnteed 8 years. At bama he will probably win atleast 8 games a year. If he has another sh*tty year at miami next year, which would happen, he might get the ax. If the dolphins didnt win out last year (in meaningless games) he would have a terrible record now.

Alabama is going to offer him about the same he would make in the nfl and he would be guarnteed 8 years. At bama he will probably win atleast 8 games a year. If he has another sh*tty year at miami next year, which would happen, he might get the ax. If the dolphins didnt win out last year (in meaningless games) he would have a terrible record now.

I doubt he gets the ax if he has anothe rlosing season. Saban has a good 3 years left in Miami to do something.

I look at it like this.

You have an NFL owner that is actually patient. He will wait and work with folks to win, look at Dave he put up with him when many were wanting him gone. Heck it is rumored he offered an extension to nick supposedly. Rarely in the NFL do you find owners like Wayne is.

You have an owner that offers up money for anything you want. 5000 coaches sure, a bubble for in the rain for a weeks worth of practice, sure what is a few million? Money for anyone you want out there plain and simple. He is spending 250 million more for everything else as well

It is also miami, a great place to live. Really it isnt a hard job to sell with alot of tradition behind it and all Miami will get a good coach

I think Buckeye is right. I think it has a lot to do with how great life was in college for him. If he rebuilds Bama, he goes down as a legend in college football. If he takes this offer, he leaves the NFL on his terms without being labeled a failure. I really didn't expect him to hesitate this long and I really expect him to take it.

So who are potential replacements if he does leave?

I look at it like this.

You have an NFL owner that is actually patient. He will wait and work with folks to win, look at Dave he put up with him when many were wanting him gone. Heck it is rumored he offered an extension to nick supposedly. Rarely in the NFL do you find owners like Wayne is.

You have an owner that offers up money for anything you want. 5000 coaches sure, a bubble for in the rain for a weeks worth of practice, sure what is a few million? Money for anyone you want out there plain and simple. He is spending 250 million more for everything else as well

It is also miami, a great place to live. Really it isnt a hard job to sell with alot of tradition behind it and all Miami will get a good coach

I doubt Alabama is any less a great place to live.

Did you seriously just claim Alabama is just as good a place to live as South Florida. :blink:

He's a freakin' Coach. I doubt he's into the model scene or going to clubs. Saban does strike me as the type of guy to run around with Paris Hilton on his time off. He's also old enough that titties aren't enough of a draw as to decide where to live.

I look at it like this.

Ever been to alabama? I went there to check out the college and all. It is a nice school but really not close to as fun an area as south florida is or weather. But he might like a different lifestyle.

I do think if he leaves he will be branded as a failure in the NFL

it's been reported in either today's sentinel or herald (don't remember which one) that saban is more of a small town guy - according to the paper he rarely goes out (even to eat, as he prefers his wife's cooking) and even though he has a multimillion dollar home in ft. lauderdale he doesn't like the flashy south florida lifestyle

so to him alabama might be a more desirable place to live than south florida

I look at it like this.

Ever been to alabama? I went there to check out the college and all. It is a nice school but really not close to as fun an area as south florida is or weather. But he might like a different lifestyle.

I do think if he leaves he will be branded as a failure in the NFL

It's all in where you live.

I have these New York a**holes for bosses and coworkers and they always talk about how there isn't sh*t to do in Columbus. But, then again, typically they go home and watch their tv sets, dvd players, etc. Which doesn't make any sense if you're bitching about not having stuff to do.

It's all in where you're from and what you're used to.

Things are probably going to be worse for him if he stays seeing how the majority of the fanbase has turned on him. Just go. If you're even going to have second thoughts about coaching somewhere then you don't belong there. Go to Alabama. Who cares?

Cowher in Miami would be interesting.

I personally think Tuscaloosa would be an awesome place to live...especially when everyone there treats you like a God.

I've been reading 'Bama message boards, and apparently they all think its a done deal. They thought the same about Rich Rodriguez, though.

I doubt he gets the ax if he has anothe rlosing season. Saban has a good 3 years left in Miami to do something.

Why? Every other team gets rid of coaches if they dont produce. If he has another losing year he has to be on the hot seat.

I personally think Tuscaloosa would be an awesome place to live...especially when everyone there treats you like a God.

I've been reading 'Bama message boards, and apparently they all think its a done deal. They thought the same about Rich Rodriguez, though.

I was thinking about that today. If someone offered me a job to go to Bama or some school that isnt in or near a big city would I consider it? Then i was like well they would be paying me 4 million a year, and you basically have practice and and games from august until january so you are busy. After recruiting you can go on vacation or whatever until spring practice. And then take it easy in june and july.

So yes I would go. Thats just me

Just take saban. Pretend he was the Raiders coach and not the dolphins. You have just regressed from your first season to your second. Both draft classes are not looking good and the free agents and trades have also backfired. You have 20 free agents and the oldest team in the afc east. Next years schedule looks tough on paper. Lets just say the "raiders" go 7-9 next year. Thats three seasons of full control and you have a losing record. Other coaches around the league have been fired in that time span.

Bama is offering you 8 years of job security. So even if you screw up there you get 40 million and can bascially do whatever you want for the rest of your life.